The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-13-2004, 07:32 AM

Default Good place to visit, lousy placee to live

I lived in Hawaii for 22 years. I'm glad your having a good time. They depend on your money. If you don't get ripped off [ ]by the "locals" as a tourist, you are a lucky person. Once you've done the circuit as a tourist, Hawaii is just like every other place I have ever lived. The only thing it has going for it is the moderate temperature.

If you are politically inclined, it is one of the dirtiest places in the country you can be.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2004, 08:01 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Re: Good place to visit, lousy placee to live

Quote:
Originally posted by onesix I lived in Hawaii for 22 years. I'm glad your having a good time. They depend on your money. If you don't get ripped off [ ]by the "locals" as a tourist, you are a lucky person. Once you've done the circuit as a tourist, Hawaii is just like every other place I have ever lived. The only thing it has going for it is the moderate temperature.

If you are politically inclined, it is one of the dirtiest places in the country you can be.
I lived in The Islands for 2 years 75--77 and I agree with everything you say, especially the dirty politics---this is also one of the worst place in the US for racism and I'm not talking black/white.
But what I love is the water, there's nowhere else in this country were the sea is so friendly to get into and stay all day and I mean right downtown--AlaMoana Park has to be the nicest municipal beach in th country or at least that Ive seen. I used to drive down to the park at night, swim out from Magic island and grab a couple of bugs right under the lights of Waikiki and Hono.
I learned to scuba dive here, went through advanced and instrutors training (NAUI), ultimately became a commercial diver in the end of the 70s. FL just aint in it with this.
Living in Hawaii means going down to the beach EVERY DAY.
I still visit there once or twice a year, the friends I stay with just keep getting richer and richer. I've never stayed in a hotel in Oahu.
Its a pretty place, no doubt, I love going there but youre right, after a while you get rock fever, want to drive 400 miles in a straight line. All us Californians have to do this very now and then.
Shaka, bra. Lucky you live Hawaii

James
Picture: self at Hanauma Bay, Sep, '03. Thats Koko head behind me
PS thats not the peace sign its Hawaiian for "I'll have a double"
Old 01-13-2004, 12:36 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Talking Fred

Real glad to hear your liking the environment, life is good. Please give my best to Shirley, your son and that great father-in-law of yours. I think the old boy is pretty sharp. If memory is correct he?s the one who thought Packo was from Massachusetts.

Did you bring the frog kite? Lets try and imagine how many bikini?s that would attract. I?m going to think about that for a while.

Keith was complaining about his melting snow, funny I can?t remember snow melting. And James complained to you about it being 40 and needing a sweater. Hell if it was 40 I?d take off my t-shirt!

Doc, you guys just enjoy and live for the moment. Shirley is a nice woman but I don?t expect this will be an annual thing.

Stay healthy, get brown,
Andy
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 10:54 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Jet Lag

Well, we are back and I am enjoying the pleasures of jet lag. James, you were right about the racism. One thing about it, every body is in a minority there. The native Hawaiians are up in arms, wanting to get back the kingdom. I think it may devolve into a guerilla conflict. I was limited in what I could do by the age of my father in law. I did go with my son to Hanauma Bay. He snorkeled and I watched. We did go to Ala Mona Beach too. I think I liked the Hawaiian music most of all. We went to the Punchbowl, a national cemetary that has thousands of casualties from the South Pacific. There are these huge blocks of stone there arranged in a stairstep fasion . On them are carved all the missing from WW II in the South Pacific, all 28,000 of them.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 11:48 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Doc I'm glad you made it home safe and sound do you have a tan?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new cruciform.jpg (56.1 KB, 49 views)
Old 01-15-2004, 01:11 AM
Doc.2/47

I hope and trust you had a truly wonderful time.
Still...I bet you're kinda glad to be back home.

All the best

Hal