Old 10-17-2008, 03:29 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

James
been there and done that.
Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3333.jpg (107.7 KB, 17 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2008, 07:16 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I know you have, Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39mto39g View Post
James
been there and done that.
Ron

Boy the memories these pcitures bring back. This one (sorry about the quality) is a team riding on a jeep down to the lz. We'd just pile onto a jeep, 5 or 6 of us and the driver and they'd zoom us over to the slick. That was when we were lucky enough to get a ride.
heading for the slick

Yeah, we'd pick up a few souvenirs now and then
daryl pressley

Another bud of mine, this is the guy who took most of thes epictures. he later became a Navy SEAL
milt hendrickson

Another close friend of mine, we went on patrol together several times.

David Spears

Boy do these take me back to a time I tried to forget for a long time.But looking at these again I realize I probably never got beyond being a 19 year old lrrp at some level or other--its still my ground of being, where I come from, who I am. Ive come to love that 19 year old lrrp over time but I sure don't want him running my life: he made some poor decisions and only luck and some hairyassed frends saved him. One thing I learned for sure: it is entirely possible, through an overdeveloped zeal for civic duty, to volunteer your way into serious trouble.
It was the biggest, most important thing I ever did, probabaly, tho I sure didn't know it at the time---making life and death decisions on a semi daily basis. And the decision usuallly came out death for someone.
The Poor Man's Special Forces was what they called us and if I was wanting to recruit a bunch of zanies for any life risking proposition where I wanted to pay cheap these are the guys I'd look for. We were all doing this for the adventure----we got no more combat pay than every clerk-typist in Saigon got. It wasn't about the money, it was about taking the war to the enemy on their own ground and shoving it down their throats. These were the most agggressive soldiers I ever served with.
Wearing tigers was our way of saying: no surrender, ever---it was a death sentence to be caught wearing them but it was a death sentence for any lrrp caught anyway. We went out knowing thhat every time that it would be a fight to the finish. I know: every grunt thought like that but try it when youre out with only 4 other guys. NO surrender, a fight to the finish every time when youre so far away from help they have to post a team midway to relay your messages: how I earned that phat $65/ month combat pay.
It got wearing towards the end and I started to lose it. It's taken me a long time to get back to sanity (work still in progress)
But for all my life---and its sometimes been spectacular, sometimes heartbreaking-- there's nothing I take greater pride in than serving with these guys, the Poor Man's Special Forces.

Stay good
James
Old 10-18-2008, 05:09 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default It's one of the reasons...

that you are one of my hero's! Death was certain for you and any other grunt who was captured. Only pilots and crew who bailed over NVN were captured. Most everyone I knew had a pact to never be captured.....not sure how that would have worked if the moment arose. Great pics my brother.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:17 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

James, I'm SOOOO glad that you finally got to hook-up with these guys. Great posts and great pictures. I'm looking forward to seeing them all [the pics] in person in DEC. It was great talking to you the other night. I'm proud to have you as one of my closest friends.

AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY, BRO!
Old 10-19-2008, 02:36 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

James
There are a couple ways to take a picture of a picture.
Get back from the picture a little and use the zoom, the auto focus will also work.
And then there is the Macro setting on the camera, That setting is made to take extreme close ups.
Glade you had a good time with your friends.
Ron
Old 10-19-2008, 09:04 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Thanks guys

To have friends like these back then....and to have friends like you guys now:
I'm truly blessed, a truly lucky man.
Thanks , stay good
james

Photobucket