The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2006, 01:39 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Berry Bonds in the news

Hank arron has got to be feeling that this guy is going to break my record with drugs, But Hammering Hank has way to much class to ever say anything bad about anyone.
Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2006, 02:46 PM

Unfortunately, he was on the cover of Sports Illustrated a couple of weeks ago.

You know about the curse...
Old 03-24-2006, 02:47 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Ron

This is one thing I am in absolute and total agreement with you about.

Barry Bonds should be kicked out of major league baseball and all his records erased from the record books!

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:45 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Look at all the baseball power records since the baseball strike. The owners turned a blind eye to rampant drug use to make sure the fans would fill the seats, which they did. All of the group that held their hands up in Congress, about steroid use, were major-league liars. All home run, rbi, and runs scored records from this period should be taken out of the book forever.....baseball WAS the only decent pro sport left. IMHO.

Larry
Old 03-24-2006, 05:45 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I guess I'll just stick withg the pro curlers, if there are any. "Sweep it back, move them brooms!"
Old 03-24-2006, 10:41 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post I believe!

More criticism should go to Major League baseball (the owners and the union). No one wanted to confront the use of drugs in baseball. While other sports had drug policies baseball is just now getting one. This allowed the boys of summer to misuse drugs and no one cared. We all cheered McGuire and Sosa and Bonds - home runs were more important than a drug policy. Yet, we all had our suspicions but home runs brought in the crowds and cash.
I'm not so sure that what has taken place was all illegal and drugs weren't against major league policy at the time they were hitting their home runs. It certainly was wrong. In a very real way maybe we are all to blame just a little for this tragedy in our National Pass Time. But, Major League Baseball itself (the owners and the union) is just as guilty as the players who "cheated".
Should the records be taken away from them?

I don't really don't know. Somedays I think, throw them all out and others days I think, don't be so critical. No one gave them guidelines and we all cheered. The shame goes to Major League Baseball more than the individual players. Shame on the Owners and Shame on Union for not establishing a strict drug policy when other sports did.

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 04:06 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Kieth

If home runs bring in the crowds than all you need to do is move the pitchers mound back five feet, not be permissive of drugs.
I might even watch a game that was 19 to 18 in the ninth.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:47 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Agreed Keith.......but

Ultimately, it is the fans that set the expectations and the leagues will always, always push the envelope. The players and the Unions, as a group, are rather ancillary to the process of setting and meeting expectations and will just go until forced to stop. However, individual players do set and keep high standards but unfortunately that doesn?t sell a lot of beer or hotdogs or gain a lot of recognition.

So in reality, if the fans think that steroid produced beef stacks are the right deal, then that is what we will have. Same issue with off competition behavior. If we permit a double standard of responsibility just because someone can run faster, hit a ball better or boot the opposition player into geo-synch orbit better, then that is what we will get. And of course the Net works and sponsors want to sell product so the more diecey and controversial, the better.
But in the paradoxical humor of it all, it is network talking heads who seem to do the majority of the renting of garments, ouy vey deal, but not for reals, eh. They have tremendous influence on who does what and have positively exercised that in the past, hopefully more so in the future. But they got to pay for the trick new BMWs first.

Observation; The favored national sport in the Philippines is Basketball, but not being an especially tall people, they focus on individual lightening speed, trick moves and team speed. A lot of fun to watch, they really scoot. Anyway, ?tall? doesn?t necessarily define the game, but 'not tall' changes how it is played, signicantly.

Last there they wanted my opinion about the brawl in the stands; it was a Pistons game I think. I had to honestly tell them I was only vaguely aware of the incident, but not surprised at all. Network NBA is very popular there, so they know a heck of a lot more about it than I ever will. Number 3, Iverson, is somewhat the sports hero in the PI and I assume he is one of the good guys, hopefully so.

Scamp
Old 03-25-2006, 08:50 AM
Robert J Ryan

If Barry Bonds is indeed using steroids he needs to be handled by Pro Baseball. Just think of all the other players in the past and present who have used steroids. The last great slugger without setorids was Mickey Mantle. However, the Mick did admit to a alcohol problem later in life. Kinda agree with seascamp the fans sure can put a lot of pressure on player, never mind the media also. I have respect for Jason Giambi for admitting his use, and apologizing for his use of steroids.