The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-02-2005, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 
Default R and R

Don't know where the most popular place was to take your much needed R&R but I took mine at Camp Evans, visiting my wifes uncle who was up there. Heck I was based in QuiNhon which had its own R&R center on the "SECURE" Red (Shit) Beach. Haven't see Uncle Larry since then since he lives up in the north country of Illinois.
Yesterday, before the store closed for the day, Joanne handed me the phone to give directions to whoever was on the other end. He was coming north from Macon and I told him how to get here.
8:30 last night, Illinois license plate V7###, Disabled Veteran plate pulls into the drive and I get the honor of welcoming home another troop.
Master Sargent Lawrence Steinkey, retired E-8, total and permanent service connected, Korean and VN Vet and I'm real happy that he's here. Haven't seen him since I got on a C-7 leaving Evans in '68.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2005, 05:45 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

Funny but, I had an in country R and R. My buddy and I went to Quinhon and stayed in a hotel dispite the city being off limits. That was an experence in its self. We wond up a few days latter at China Beach. [It wasn't like the TV show.] The last month of my tour I went to Austrialia. I went to Camp Evans a lot in 1968. Can't say I liked it very much. It was better than Dong Ha, right Lt?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 06:36 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Steve , any place was better than Dong Ha !
Old 10-02-2005, 08:27 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default NO incountry R&R for the Airborne

As far as I know, none of the grunts and lrrps I served with and knew well--this would be dozens--got an incountry R&R including myself. Any airborne trooper get one? How about Marines? I don't remember ever meeting one that got an incountry R&R either.
They didn't give us hardly any days off either so we just took them when we could.
Stay good
james
Old 10-02-2005, 08:30 AM
Robert J Ryan

Default R&R

First tour went to Pa Nang Malyasia, Second tour went to Austrialia, also went on in country R&R to Vung Tau, Third tour took a 7 day leave, 7 day R&R and went home. Loved Austrialia what I could remember of it, I think I was sober the day we left to go back to Nam.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:24 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Back at China Beach

I talked to this baby faced 18 year old Marine clutching a rifle with a wooden stock. I asked what it was and why he was carring it around on the beach. It was a sniper rifle and his CO had given him a 3 day R and R for zapping a gook officer.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:45 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default R&R

Contrary to what james said I got to go on a 3 day incountry R&R and a 7 day out country R&R
We were in the middle of no where just south of that shit place and BN calls me on the radio and says Than BN 6 has a extra incountry R&R and would anyone like to take it? AAAAAH I will!!!
Then he says how soon can you be ready? Im ready, I say!!!
He says that BN 6 will send his chopper for me asap. AAAAH OK.
I tell the LT. That I am going on a 3 day in country R&R and that 6 is sending his chopper for me. LT looks at me funny and laughs. I said no, really Im going on R&R and the chopper will be hear soon , who do you want as your RTO? He says anybody and walks away. I sat the radion on the ground and in a few min when the chopper arrived I got on. The LT was looking up at me as I was leaving, I waved. We landed on the beach in Cam Rahn Bay in front of the beach bar and I got off, Three days later I got on a goony bird back to my BN HC to be transported to where ever my unit was.

I went to Austrailia for a 7 day R&R that turned into a 8 day because of some problem with the airplane or something, I really didn't care what the reason was.

Ron
Old 10-02-2005, 04:26 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

I'm guessing that Australia was the most popular place for single guys and Hawaii for married guys to meet there wifes. [or girl freinds]
Old 10-03-2005, 04:16 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

No incountry R&R ....Did mine in Yokohama Japan.
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 10-03-2005, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DMZ-LT Steve , any place was better than Dong Ha !
Lt.---guess you never were in Gio Linh..that WAS NOT better than Dong Ha.:re: