The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2005, 07:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62
Default What Bennies do you get in your State for being a Vet.?

I was talking with a couple of fisherman (fellow Vets.) the other day, we brought up the cost of a fishing license in New York.
As a disabled Vet. mine only cost $5. This brought us to the subject of other discounts or bennies if you will that Vets. get.
I can get special plates for my cars, DAV, AL, VFW, a Veteran Plate. Cost a bit more than regular plates. I have DAV and Vet plates on two of my cars. The Vet who designed the Viet Nam and WW2 pates lives in my old home town and is the Veteran Coordinator for the County.
Discounts of 10% in some restaurants. Perkins gives me the 10% with my VA card.
I was wondering what bennies can one get in other states?
Conn., Jersey and Penn. are the ones I'd really like to hear about as they neighbor NY. But all are welcome to respond.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2005, 08:14 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Thumbs up Good stuff

Bennies:

1. Don?t know about fishing or hunting licenses, haven?t been hunting since 1971, some idiot shot at me and I shot back - long story, but there is a discount.

2. You can get all sorts of vanity number plates for a few dollars more. If your 100%, Purple Heart, Bronze Star, Silver Star, CMH, POW are all for free. Also at 100% there is no sales tax on the purchase of a car which is registered in your name. Same is true for registering a boat.

3. House tax: A Purple Heart is around $150 off. Loss of an arm, leg, ear or eye is $400 off. 100% disabled $700 off.

4. For all vets, free tuition to state colleges.

5. On all civil service exams +5 points to all vets. 10 points extra for a Purple Heart, or any military disability.

6. Upon returning from a combat zone at flat fee, regardless of rank or MOS, $500.00

7. For $100%ers twice a year a check for $750.00

8. A very good chance of not getting that speeding ticket.

9. Veterans get priority for public housing.

(Yah know, Massachusetts is also adjacent to New York. We don?t like to admit it either but it?s true.)

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 07-26-2005, 01:58 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Michigan has some bennies...

But, lemme tell a story from this past weekend.

The Ojibway (aka "Chippewa") tribe holds an annual pow-wow not far from here. As with nearly all pow-wows, the Warrior Society (Indian Vets) leads in the Grand Entry.

This year, ALL Vets present were invited to dance with them in a special way once around.

They stopped us at a point on the circle. Then, the most amazing thing happened.

Everyone present in the audience was invited to come into the circle and take the hand of each Vet, and thank us. Hundreds came.

I have been to many pow-wows in many States. I have never seen this before.

It was very humbling.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:42 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Georgia benefits

At 100% HUGE discounts on your property taxes mine was almost $2500 this year, Free hunting and fishing license, No advelorem tax on your personal vehicle, also no advelorem tax for purple heart, (Free licence plates). I can't find my book to verify it but I think free tuition at state universities. The same preference points for jobs, 5 and 10. Reduced Fee or free veterans Vanity plates.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:28 AM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 

Add to that Sid - Georgia, 100%ers pay $1 for business licence. My property tax discount is only for the school portion of the taxes but that's the lions share of those taxes. $1 for plates with no advelorem tax on primary vehicle. Second vehicle; $1 plates but you pay the advelorem.
Advelorem - (pronoun) Annual (or is that anal?) tax on everything you own.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

New Jersey

http://www.nj.gov/military/veterans/njguide/index.html

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
Old 07-26-2005, 04:20 AM

Here in PA, 100% combat connected disabled Vet's get relieved from property taxes-subject to a means test every 2 years. Saves me $4200 a year-if I get re-upped this year.
100% disabled get free life time fishing and hunting licenses.
Vehicle plates for disabled and Purple Heart are also available, don't know the cost.
When I returned from Viet Nam the state paid me $25 a month for my tour. I got $300, which in 1968 was more than a months Army pay.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:23 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

In Tennessee, if at least a 30% VA disability rating, you get a lifetime hunting and fishing license for a one time fee of $ 30.....There are a number of license plates for various medals from Bronze Star thru MOH at a greatly reduced rate, regardless of your VA rating. I am sure there is more. I will let you know.

Larry
Old 07-26-2005, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chas H Here in PA, 100% combat connected disabled Vet's get relieved from property taxes-subject to a means test every 2 years. Saves me $4200 a year-if I get re-upped this year.
100% disabled get free life time fishing and hunting licenses.
Vehicle plates for disabled and Purple Heart are also available, don't know the cost.
When I returned from Viet Nam the state paid me $25 a month for my tour. I got $300, which in 1968 was more than a months Army pay.
Pennsylvania...Let me tell you about wonderful Pennsylvania. I was born & raised in PA. When I turned 18 I registered for the draft in PA. When I graduated from college I couldn't find a job with any of those patriotic PA companies because I had reverted to I-A. I found a job in Missouri & moved here. Six months later I was drafted under PA's quota. When I returned home I applied to PA for their vet bonus but was denied because my address of record was in Missouri. They sure as hell treated this vet wonderfully. PA's attitude was tufftit. I have been back to PA about 7 times in the last 37 years, mainly to bury my family.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:23 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default NEW JERSEY...

Not up on State Percks to Veterans like Bill Farnie.
But, unfortunately very familiar with the absurdly biased property tax situation of New Jersey.

In the: "Highest Taxed State in America" The VFW & American Legion pretty-much dictate which Veterans get the piddling $250 a year property tax exemption.

If your Years of Service don't exactly match those listed or: "CORRECT" Years of Service qualifying Veterans for membership to VFW & Legion on the back of their cards,...you don't qualify or get zilch off of property taxes from any town, township or city in New Jersey, the actual collectors of The State Tax.

In point of fact, for about 40 years my good buddy Joe up the street from me, has gotten the property tax deduction merely because older than me and joining Army earlier than me.
Hell, Old Joe probably doesn't even remember any buddies' names served with during his rear echelon fun and games in peacetime Japan and Korea.

Wasn't a DMZ type, and probably doesn't even remember his old outfits' names, either? Never heard much mention of his service, much less any pride in such.

Whereas me and buddies serving in the finest Company and then later Troop & Sqdn. in The U.S. Military, and no doubt thousands of other New Jersey Veterans serving during The WRONG Years, aren't awarded diddly-squat by The State of New Jersey. The VFW & LEGION just will not permit it being any other way.

WOW(!),...what a longtime and TRULY HONORABLE (greedy also) Veteran behavior. Absolutely amazing.

Neil