The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-30-2004, 03:41 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Veterans' Affairs Committee Chairman Attacked by Republican Leader!

If there should be ANY doubt whatsoever among the supporters of George W. Bush and the Republicans in Congress regarding some of the charges I have been reporting about the Republican mistreatment and total disregard for sick & disabled military Veterans and their dependents, please let them come forward NOW with explanations, valid arguements and/or justification analysis for the latest bit of outright abandonment and completely despicable actions of the Congressional Budget fiasco and the actions of the Republican majority in Congress and at the Whitehouse!

The National Commander of the Disabled American Veterans I'm SURE would like to hear these as well! As the information below appears to confirm!

Gimpy

#################################

Veterans' Affairs Committee Chairman Attacked

To: dav_list@mailmanager.net

Tue, 30 Mar 2004 1637 -0500 (EST

Write Congressman Chris Smith to Express Your Appreciation

Because of his courageous advocacy for veterans, DAV National Commander Alan Bowers has written a letter of special thanks to House Veterans? Affairs Committee Chairman Chris Smith (R. N.J.).

Because Chairman Smith stood with veterans and for what was right, opposing his own party leadership on the inadequate budget for veterans? programs, he has come under attack by Budget Committee Chairman Jim Nussle (R. Iowa).

Commander Bowers has therefore also taken the unusual step of writing the Speaker of the House of Representatives Dennis Hastert (R. Ill.) and Chairman Nussle to express strong objections to attacks upon Chairman Smith because of his advocacy for veterans. Se below to view Commander Bowers? letters. You are encouraged to send an e-mail to Representative Smith to express your appreciation.

To send an e-mail to Speaker of the House Hastert about attacks upon Chairman Smith because of his advocacy for veterans, view the message on this website titled "Write Representative Hastert to Express your Objections." To send an e-mail to Representative Nussle about attacks upon Chairman Smith because of his advocacy for veterans, view the message on this website titled "Write Representative Nussle to Express your Objections."

#####################

March 30, 2004
The Honorable James A. Nussle, Chairman
Committee on the Budget
United States House of Representatives
Cannon House Office Building, Room 303
Washington, DC 20515-1502

Dear Representative Nussle:

As National Commander of the Disabled American Veterans, I am compelled to express, on behalf of our members and all veterans, our strong objections and deep dissatisfaction with your unwarranted and inappropriate attack upon House Veterans? Affairs Committee Chairman Chris Smith.

One of the news articles on the recent budget debate quotes you as accusing Chairman Smith of ?putting out erroneous information to sway veterans? groups,? and calling him ?the runaway chairman.? We are unaware of Chairman Smith putting out information on the budget, erroneous or otherwise, to sway veterans? groups. We are aware that Chairman Smith acted last year to oppose your move to strip some $28 billion from vital veterans? programs such as disability compensation and medical care. To pejoratively characterize an honorable, reputable, and conscientious legislator as a ?runaway chairman? because he stands for what is right reflects very negatively upon you and your party leadership. It demonstrates that you have no hesitation in punishing honesty and integrity if it is at odds with your party?s national agenda, and it clearly reveals that veterans are not a priority in your agenda.

As Chairman of the Veterans? Affairs Committee, Representative Smith understands and honestly presents the Committee?s good faith assessment of the true resource needs of veterans? programs. If that makes him a runaway chairman, this Congress has serious problems, and its leadership and its direction are seriously misguided.

We hope you will reconsider your imprudent criticism of Chairman Smith and others in your party who may chose the honorable course over the contrary agenda of your leadership .

Sincerely,
ALAN W. BOWERS
National Commander

AWB:lmb
c: The Honorable Christopher Smith, Chairman, House Veterans' Affairs Committee
Department Commander Griffith
Department Adjutant Jatho
Department Commander William
Department Adjutant Carroll

######################

March 30, 2004
The Honorable J. Dennis Hastert
Speaker of the House of Representatives
Cannon House Office Building, Room 235
Washington, DC 20515-1314

Dear Mr. Speaker:

As National Commander of the Disabled American Veterans, I write about a matter of increasing concern to our members and all our veterans. I write about the unwarranted attacks upon House Veterans? Affairs Committee Chairman Chris Smith by members of his own party?s congressional leadership .

The veterans of this Nation deserve no less than a real advocate as Chairman of the Veterans? Affairs Committee. I believe Chairman Smith fills the bill. Unfortunately, personal courage and integrity of the kind necessary to be an honest and true advocate for veterans is extremely rare in today?s hostile, mean-spirited political climate?and certainly unappreciated by those who do not view veterans as a priority national obligation. However, Chris Smith has consistently taken a stand for what is right and against what is wrong, although sometimes at odds with the less meritorious political agenda of his own party?s leadership.

While that kind of courage, honor, and honesty may not gain him the esteem and appreciation of some in his party, it has encouraged and heartened veterans and citizens who still expect responsive and responsible government, but who all too infrequently see it in Washington today. Perhaps Congress would enjoy much higher confidence ratings by the American people, if it were populated by more members like Chris Smith. It is disturbing that the House leadership apparently sees his honest and forthright advocacy for veterans as a problem rather than appreciating him for the real asset that he is. Attacks upon him by his own party?s leadership for doing the right thing do not reflect positively upon his party.

I have enclosed a copy of my letter to your Budget Committee Chairman, James A. Nussle, regarding his attack upon Chairman Smith. I hope, as Speaker, you and your party leadership will reconsider this type of ill-advised and unwarranted castigation of a Committee Chairman for doing what is right, and for attempting to make veterans a national priority.

Sincerely,
ALAN W. BOWERS
National Commander

c: The Honorable Chris Smith, Chairman, House Veterans' Affairs Committee
Department Commander Resner
Department Adjutant Reynolds

###############

March 30, 2004

The Honorable Christopher H. Smith, Chairman
Committee on Veterans? Affairs
United States House of Representatives
Rayburn House Office Building, Room 2373
Washington, DC 20515-3004

Dear Representative Smith:

On behalf of the Disabled American Veterans, I write to convey a special and personal thank you for your courageous stand on the House budget resolution.

Many others voted against the resolution as a matter of principle because it seriously shortchanges discretionary veterans? programs, primarily veterans? medical care. However, in a vote along party lines, many voted for and against the resolution to follow their national leadership?s agenda.

Your vote against the budget resolution demonstrates once again your uncommon commitment to principle and to veterans as a national priority, and to your resolve to stand for what is right even at great personal cost to your status with your congressional colleagues and leadership in your party.

While we appreciate the vote of all who opposed this ill-advised budget resolution, we understand that a vote such as yours under these circumstances represents courage of a degree too infrequently seen in Congress these days and courage deserving of our deepest gratitude.

The citizens of the Fourth Congressional District of New Jersey are fortunate to have you representing them, and the veterans of our Nation are extremely fortunate to have you as the Chairman of the House Veterans? Affairs Committee and their true advocate.

Our confidence in your integrity always makes it an extra-special pleasure to work with you on behalf of our veterans. For taking the difficult stand against heavy pressure to do otherwise, as you have done consistently, thank you.

Sincerely,
ALAN W. BOWERS
National Commander

c: Patrick Ryan, Staff Director/Chief Counsel, House Veterans' Affairs Committee

####################

The final vote tally was 215 for (ALL REPUBLICANS ) for the measure and 212 against (201 Democrats, 10 Republicans & 1 Independent). The ten Republicans that went against the party "leadership" AGENDA deserve our sincere thanks and appreciation.

But, if THIS dosen't PROVE what I've been stating for the past TEN YEARS...................SHOW ME!

The current "brand" of the majority Republicans in Congress and the Whitehouse are a DISGRACE and SHAMEFUL example of CONTEMPTABLE DISHONOR towards the military Veterans of this country. WORSE THAN ANY ADMINISTRATION & CONGRESS IN HISTORY!

One PISSED OFF GIMP!

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2004, 09:29 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

The "silence" is deafening from the "supporters" of Bush and the Republicans! :cd:

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Old 03-31-2004, 08:45 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Unhappy The "sounds" of "silence"?

The "silence" is deafening from the "supporters" of Bush and the Republicans!

:cd: :cd: :cd: :cd: :cd:

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

Old 04-05-2004, 05:12 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default One week

and absolutely NO response from any supporters of GEE-DUBYA and his republican cronies mentioned in the first post above??????

:cd: :cd: :cd: :cd: :cd: :cd: :cd: :cd: :cd:

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

Old 04-05-2004, 07:38 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Gimpy,

I can't speak for anyone else but I do all I can behind the scenes to let my representatives know my mind in regard to what they promised as opposed to what they deliver. I have my own ideas about why the VA system is so screwed up from years of first hand experience and the opportunity to deal with it in several different regions of the country. I'm inclined to believe that it is a combination of problems but it's not worth it to me to try to present them here anymore.But it is impossible for me to be silent on the home front. My conscience won't let me. I owe you all to much.

Arrow>>>>>>>

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 04-06-2004, 03:32 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

The above comment about not wanting to comment here has nothing at all to do with the site. David and Bernadette know how very much I appreciate them. I just disagree that all the problems of the VA system can be laid at the feet of one party. I don't like being seen as a Republican first and a veterans advocate second.I guess I'm just tired of running defensetrying to prove my heart with words. It is what it is.

Arrow>>>>>

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 04-06-2004, 04:50 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Lil Sis

I know very well where your "heart" is with regards to being an advocate for veterans rights and benefits. Your advocacy and passion to "right" the "wrongs" has been well established here on this forum and others, and I'm sure in your personal life efforts also. And, I as well as many others are proud of those efforts and committments you have made.

However, if one chooses "republican" first............and everything else falls below somewhere, to include the republicans clear, present and past history of the past ten years with regards to their terrible record of abandoning the pledges and promises to veterans...........Like many folks around here and elsewhere appear to be forgetting........their "record" will NEVER improve!

I am NOT.........repeat........am NOT questioning YOUR committment and dedication to the "cause". I"m just waiting and hoping and praying that a LOT of "republicans" will wake up and SEE what has been going on for the past ten years! To continue to keep these folks in office when the FACTS PROVE that the Democrats over the past TEN YEARS have been voting consistently to improve and fully fund veterans health care & benefits is just to much for me to understand.

Sorry, but that's just how I feel.

Still love ya Gal!

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

Old 04-06-2004, 06:37 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Thank youbrother I needed to hear that from you. I agree with all the points you put up on Hardballs poll along with Packy's point about hirin' enough people to get that claims process movin'. What mess that is.

The love I have for you all started when I was knee high to a grasshopper watchin' my uncle who was a WWII Vet that was at Pearl Harbor when it got hit.

He came home and eventually went to work for the VA. He sit up a recreational program for Vets that were still functional physically and mentally.I can remember watchin' themwalk to the swimmin' pool which was closed to the public during the hours they were there.

I was always very sad for them having lived in and out of institutional settings myself for the first eight years of my life (Catholic orphanages). I think they saw me as a kindred spirit cause there were always a fewwistfulsmiles given to me as they passed by. I was never afraid of them as some of the other children that would run away.

My uncle got a bowling alley built for them, my aunt who was a Wave and worked in DC during WWII also worked at the same VAin administration, and my uncle's wife worked in the kitchen.MyFather in Lawretired from the same VA working asan orderly.My uncle was killed trying to fix a jammed up pen lifter in that bowling alley one night. He died just like he lived tryin' to make things better for his brothers.

I'm willing to bet that all of us thatcare so deeply can look back way before we were Republicans or Democrats to events in our lives that have led us to the devotion we feel for those that have served this nation with honor.

I love you brother,thank you foryourservice then and now and forcarrying our brother Frank to his final resting place.

Arrow>>>>>>

Old 04-06-2004, 10:56 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Gimpy and arrow :

I agree with all that has been said. We have to get beyond this US vs. THEM mentality and do what is right for those that have put their life on the line time and again, and their families thru hard times as a result of their service. It would seem that the service organizations are in a good position, even with the sky hgih deficits, to demand full funding of the VA....in light of the war that appears will not end anytime soon. I believe if they don't act soon, they will have missed a great opportunity. The plight of the veterans, active duty, Guard, and the Reserves does not seem to get to the general public, and the news media is partly to blame....However, Janet Jackson's boob, Bennifer, Michael Jackson's
antics, and any number of other irrelevant "entertainment" stories get center stage. Where is the outrage ? Thanks Gimpy for your tireless efforts. This is one former Republican whom you have convinced.

Larry
Old 04-07-2004, 12:45 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Larry......

Curious; the ?Us verses them mentality going on here?. Hmmm, you have got to be kidding Larry. The best way in the world to get personally attacked here is to express a personal opinion that may not go along with what James or Gimpy may perceive as PC or kosher with Liberal thought. Been there and done that and had the living hell insulted out of me twice. I?ll be fighting back now and be dammed if I?ll be their political cannon fodder/supposed soft target any longer. Respect cuts both ways.

Scamp