The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2004, 09:33 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Immigration policies at the forefront for Bush, Fox at the Americas summit

By Jerry Kammer
COPLEY NEWS SERVICE

January 12, 2004

WASHINGTON ? A month after Mexican President Vicente Fox failed to win approval of economic reforms that could have helped his citizens stay home, President Bush is crossing the border with a new plan to offer work to millions of illegal immigrants.

Fox is to greet Bush and other hemispheric heads of state for the two-day Summit of the Americas beginning today in Monterrey, Mexico.

The two presidents will sit down together privately today and undoubtedly will discuss Bush's effort to jump-start immigration reform, which some believe might be Fox's best shot at jump-starting his own stalled presidency.

Bush's proposal last week to give temporary legal status to illegal immigrants living in the United States, including an estimated 4 million to 6 million Mexicans, was a unilateral step by the president.

U.S.-Mexico analysts and Bush administration officials say they believe Fox must now help Bush to persuade Congress to approve the politically explosive plan during an election year.

Many say Mexico must provide more enforcement at the border.

"We will really need to have the Mexican government continue and increase its efforts in this area," National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice said Friday. Rice did not set increased border controls from the Mexican side as a condition for Bush's proposal.

She did say "the Mexican government doesn't like to see people trying to cross the border illegally" because "the harshness of what faces these people when they try to walk across the Rio Grande, so to speak, is really, really awful."

Robert Leiken, a guest scholar at the Nixon Center, said that in return for a massive temporary worker program, the Mexican government would need to commit to a crackdown on those who would not receive visas but would head north anyway ? illegally.

"They would have to do more on border enforcement," Leiken said.

The Bush administration has yet to explain fully how it would curtail future efforts by Mexicans to cross illegally into the United States in search of work.

The United States has long wanted Mexico's help in preventing people from approaching the border from the south with the intention of crossing illegally. But Mexican officials have demurred.

Although Mexican law requires that people enter and leave the country at designated border crossings, the Mexican Constitution guarantees the right of free movement within the country.

Fox said Friday that he hoped to have wide-ranging discussions with Bush.

"I don't just want to talk to him about the proposal that he made public, but the case of Mexico in particular," Fox said, adding that "we want to see about the specific case of Mexican migrants and the situation of Mexican migrants on the border. We have to cover this subject fully."

Bush has launched what promises to be a feisty debate in Congress and across the country. The estimated 8 million to 12 million illegal immigrants have amplified the demographic shock waves of more than three decades of massive legal migration.

Meanwhile, the plight of illegal Mexican immigrants has sparked outrage in Mexico, where every border death is widely mourned and where remittances from El Norte feed millions.

"People see the U.S. as hypocritical," said Mexican Sen. Jeffrey Jones of the border state of Chihuahua. "The economic system sends signals (for Mexicans) to come, but the political system doesn't coincide."

The Bush-Fox visit could rekindle the high hopes of both sides for an immigration deal that arose after they met at Fox's ranch in early 2001.

But Bush's move also is fraught with risks and the threat of backlash from several directions.

Some conservative Republicans in Congress have vowed to oppose the plan. A coalition of immigration advocacy groups already has launched a Spanish-language TV campaign attacking Bush. Airing in Florida, Nevada and New Mexico ? three states where the Hispanic vote could be critical ? the ad claims that because the Bush plan would not provide amnesty for illegal immigrants, it "is robbing our future" to help U.S. business interests.

Fox's former foreign minister said in an interview that the Mexican government should launch a major lobbying effort in the United States on behalf of legislation that would flesh out Bush's proposals.

"We need to be very active, very vocal and push real hard, and not just in the Congress," said Jorge Casta?eda, who is weighing a presidential run in Mexico in 2006. "We should also get people who are on our side to push Congress, very much as we did with NAFTA. We need to push people to push people."

Casta?eda, who directed Fox's immigration strategy until resigning last year in frustration at the lack of movement from the Bush administration, said a pivotal issue for Mexico is guest worker access to green cards, the visas that provide permanent residence.

He said those who want green cards should be allowed to work in the United States for as long as it takes for them to receive the document. That issue is expected to be a point of major confrontation in Congress.

Some critics contend Bush's plan would open up millions of U.S. jobs to foreigners who would drive down wages and erode living standards. Others warn that it will encourage a new wave of illegal immigration.

However, Jeffrey Davidow, former U.S. ambassador to Mexico, praises Bush for facing up to a problem that Congress last confronted in a major way in 1986. That year, Congress passed a law that provided amnesty for 2.7 million illegal immigrants and promised ? but never delivered ? a crackdown on those who employ them.

"For the first time since 1986, a president is saying our migration policy really is sick and must be cured," Davidow said. "The question becomes whether the cure is sufficient to the illness. But I think it's a good first step."

Copley News Service Mexico City bureau chief S. Lynne Walker contributed to this report.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:58 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Question

I would have thought that, considering the new/old "Let's Flood The United States With Our Cast-Offs, as well as the Attempts To Dictate Policy To Our Government And Our People Agenda", by foreign powers, this item would have garner more attention?

I guess that some will not awaken to the sad potential until we undergo a drastic name alteration - say to "Estados Unitos de Norte Mexicanos, or maybe even "The United Nation's Western Outpost!?"

And again, and for the record - all who reside "LEGALLY" here, are Americans! Let's dump this "My Loyalties Still Rest Mit Der Vaderland" BS!!

And as for "Heir Fox", let him keep his proboscis in his own hen house, unless of course, our current president is planning on building a permanent guest facility on White House grounds? :cd:

VERITAS
Old 01-14-2004, 10:26 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

El Hombre Maximo Fox?s policy in sum and substance amounts to, ?Hey Gringos, you give us da denero, we give you our problems, si? No denero, ah, you get more problems, and more problems Gringos, si!?.

Lordy, it be an honest representation if Fox wore a huge sombrero, crossed bandoleers, dual six gins and said something profound like, ?Borders? We don?t need no stinking borders?. Oh, and so very sad to hear the illegals future is in doubt and that mean old bogeyman Bush is making noises about the horrifically screwed up situation. Bad dog Dubya, bad dog; let?s not upset the border runners or Maximo now.

Scamp
Old 01-14-2004, 10:29 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post My Immigration Policy!

Ever since High School I have believed that our Nation needed to close its borders to immigration. We are running out of land space. I would of course made special consideration for a few special causes. I think the USA would have been in better shape with my philosophy than what has happened in the last 40 years. But, that is what I believe. I basically believe we are getting over crowded, why make us more over crowded. So with that said:

I'd been at odds with every administration from Ike to Bush on the immigration issue.

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 11:02 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

SCAMP - "That amounts to international extortion, does it not" Where in the Hell is old Black Jack Pershing when you need him?

KEITH - I agree, lock it down tight! An Iron Curtain In Reverse -
One not meant to lock people in, but rather to keep some out! (opinion)

VERITAS
Old 01-14-2004, 12:08 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Lock down.........?

Heck, I?d settle for a rational and controlled border for crying out loud. If we need a lesion on how to go about that we might have a chat with the Canadians. To tourists and Canadian licensed transport operators, Canada may seem to be a benign border crossing. But I can tell ya if ya go there on business to do business, Canadian border authorities can be real nasty, prickly bears for sure and they don't miss a thing. It all depends on the status of the latest round of mutual pant leg peeing contest between Ottawa and Washington. Then a big factor is any concept that a Yank is going to take work away from a Canuk. They get the mega red-ass if they suspect anything like that is going on.

And Rick, Pershing was the polar opposite of PC and just what was needed then and now. But fat chance anyone like Persing would even be allowed anywhere near our border areas let alone cleaning up the mess. Mercy, that ain't happining. Too bad, huh.

Scamp
Old 01-14-2004, 12:13 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs up

SCAMP -

I agree 110%!!

VERITAS
Old 01-16-2004, 10:19 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Lightbulb

SCAMP -

Just re-read one of your last posts, and loved the below quote - Was it (partially) from Treasure of Sierra Madre (Mother of Mountains)?

In either case, it was exceedingly pragmatic, apropos, and totally in keeping with "Pancho Fox's Agenda & Game Plan!!" (opinion)

Quote:
Lordy, it be an honest representation if Fox wore a huge sombrero, crossed bandoleers, dual six gins and said something profound like, ?Borders? We don?t need no stinking borders?.

VERITAS
Old 01-16-2004, 10:49 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Rick....

The original was ?Badge, I don?t need no stinking badge? and was from the movie you reference. Later it was used in the comedy movie,? Blazing Saddles?. I thought it was from the old movie ?Viva Villa? with Wallace Berry but Dan set me right on that missed call. Anyway, it seems very appropriate to me as well and sometimes we have to have a sense of humor about these things or we would all fall out of our frigging tree.

Scamp
Old 01-16-2004, 12:34 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Talking

SCAMP -

I fell from my friggin tree years ago and landed right on my head!

VERITAS