The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2003, 07:15 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default 300 Crosses Taken Down in Churches across America

After 300 Crosses Taken Down in Churches across America, Muslim, Jewish & Christian Scholars, Leaders Confront Barriers to Peace

>8/20/03 800 PM

To: Assignment Desk, Daybook Editor

Contact: Rev. Phillip Schanker of the Family Federation for World Peace, 202-302-1110; 202-319-3201 (fax)

- The Cross Reconsidered: After 300 Crosses Taken Down in Churches across America, Muslim, Jewish & Christian Scholars and Leaders Confront Barriers to Peace and Reconciliation.
>
>WHAT: SYMPOSIUM on Jewish-Christian-Muslim Reconciliation and Middle-East Peace: "Harmony Amongst the Children of Abraham"
>
>WHERE: Union Theological Seminary, 3041 Broadway at 121st Street, New York, N.Y.

>WHEN: Thursday, August 21, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Call for detailed schedule)

>WHO: Rabbi David Ben-Ami- American Forum for Jewish-Christian Coooperation;
>Imam Amir Salahuddin- Islamic Center of Patterson, NJ; Dr. Lonnie McLeod- New York Theological Seminary; Archbishop George Augustus Stallings, Jr.- African-American Catholic Congregation; Rev. Michael Jenkins- American Clergy
Leadership Conference; Joseph Puder- American Jewish Congress; Dr. Tyler Hendricks-
>Unification Theological Seminary; Mr. Dan Fefferman- International Coalition for Religious Freedom; Dr. Frank Kaufmann- Interreligious Federation for World Peace...
>
>BACKGROUND: Since April of this year more than 300 Christian pastors nationwide have removed the crosses from their churches, not denying the central place that the crucifixion plays in Christian belief, but recognizing that the cross symbolizes a history of religious intolerance, forced conversions,inquisitions, and even racism as used by white supremacists. In May, 2003,
120 of these Christian leaders journeyed to Israel, in the midst of bombings and bloodshed, on a peace pilgrimage, and met with hundreds of rabbis, imams,and other leaders for reconciliation. An interreligious peace march of international clergy is planned in Israel in September, despite the terror. Leaders of this effort, together with distinguished scholars from the Abrahamic faiths,
will address these issues in a dramatic dialogue sponsored by the American Clergy Leadership Conference, to be held at Union Theological Seminary.
Participants will address the common root of the 3 Abrahamic faiths, Judaism, Christianity and Islam, reconsider the symbol of the cross and its meaning for Christians as well as other faiths, and consider the power of interreligious harmony to create peace where political and military efforts may fail. "Jesus is no longer on the cross," noted one ACLC pastor. "He overcame the pain and
suffering of the cross, loved his enemies, and blessed those who hated him. If we can do the same, then we can resurrect our communities, our nation, and even the war-torn middle-east from death and hatred to life and love."

>http://www.usnewswire.com/
Old 10-10-2003, 10:20 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Woosies

So the "touchy-feely" crowd has taken up occupancy in the religious community. Do they really think that by removing a symbol within their buildings that love and peace and hugs will prevail? It is not the crucifix that impels us to our faith, but the empty cross, one representing the Risen Lord, that is the touchstone of the entire Christian community. It is not the cross, empty or otherwise, that committed evil, but evil men, hiding behind their religious bigotry, zealotry, and lust for power, that created and committed this evil.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 11:22 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post I Corithians 1:18

Paul knew this day would come. The Cross is the symbol of offense.

Even though in the name of Christ stupid and terrible things have been done it certainly shouldn't taint the symbolism of the cross.

The Cross represents a Savior who gave his all in order for us to find eternal life.
God/Man Jesus Christ became man, lived a righteous, holy, sinless life, died a criminal's death upon a cross, a measuring of giving his all for us and rose again on the third day. When you take the cross out of Christianity you delute the meaning of the entire faith.

My guess is that these ministers and churches are liberal theologically and even doubt the deity of Christ. The Cross and empty tomb must remain as symbols of Christianity.

Just plain Dumb PC within the confines of liberal Christianity. Just plain dumb.

Keith
Old 10-10-2003, 11:52 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Keith...

Even though not a very religious sort, am I still expected to believe that in ancient and Feudal Times that under The Star of David and The Muslim Flag people or infidels weren't also mercilessly butchered or murdered,...and that such was only done under The Sign of The Cross? UTTER NONSENSE!!!

How could supposedly(?) Theologians be dictated to by such UTTER NONSENSE??? If I were a foolish parishoner of such a politically-correct parish,...I would instead give my weekly envelope to either some temple or some mosque. After all, why give money to The Bad Guys,...when it's just as easy to give it to The Good Guys. And, why not? That's what fools do.

Neil

P.S. Ancient and Feudal Times aside, and since nowadays Americans and those friendly to us are being murdered daily in the name of Allah and/or under the muslim banner,...how come such similar concern about The Muslim Sign being removed from mosques isn't dictated by The Holier Than Thou Ones??? Silly one-sided over-sensitivity (granted an absurd American norm) seems more-than-a-bit hypocritical to me (quite stupid also).
Old 10-10-2003, 01:40 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Liberal Christianity

Liberal Christianity is killing itself. Statistics show that those churches who embrace liberal ideals soon fade away to very small congregation, and eventually will close their doors. People want something to believe, not a bunch philosophical ideals embracing PC. If you are embracing PC you can get your religion from attending liberal political meetings. Liberalism is okay as a political statement and they have some valid points but when it comes into the church it is wrong. The same can be said for conservative politics, it doesn't belong in the church either. I have seen abuses on both levels.

When the Jews get rid of the star of David and Muslims get rid of the half-moon and star then we can talk about getting rid of crosses.

Keith
Old 10-10-2003, 06:17 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default The cross is represented even in the weapons of the Crusades

Here is a fact most historians overlook on the subject of the Cross and crescent Moon. During the crusades the weapons of choice were Swords the Christians used a sword designed like the Cross and the Muslims used the scimitar that was representative of the crescent moon.So religion even affected what weapon a soldier carried during that time.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:25 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

The "Star of David" is not what it is perceived to be. It is a sign used in Occult ceremonies such as Satanism. The true symbol for the State of Israel is the Menorah. Do some searches and see what "The Star of David" really represents. Anything that denigrates the life and divinity of Christ is fair game today. It is truly the end, as the Bible says.

A few other things.

Try to find an English transaltion of the Talmud. You will be repulsed when you find the comments therein about Christians and Christ.

As for Muslims they advocate the slaughter of infidels. No doubt about this.

It is a very sad thing to see the ways Man has perverted the simple an eloquent words of Jesus Christ and have killed and tortured in his name. There are many deep circles in Hell for these folks.

We had an employee at work one time who had a bumper sticker on his car that said "Satan". He listened to growling, death-metal music also. I have a pocket version of the Gospel of John. I attempted to show it to him one day and he recoiled in horror. At that point I knew of the power of The Word. Anyone else had an experience like this ?

Larry
Old 10-10-2003, 06:29 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Stupid me, I always thought that to see a cross was to remember Jesus dying for us all. When I see it I never think of the KKK or any hate filled thing, I think of undying love and forgivness.

I say that if someone has a problem with a cross they need to get out of the building or stick it.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:13 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

There is something the PC cops havent discovered yet and maybe it should be kept a secret. The pastry called the Crescent was invented to celebrate the Christian defeat of the Moslem invaders near Vienna, Austria, long ago. That?s my most favorite Sunday morning pastry and I?d sure hate for the PC cops to find out about the origins and ban its baking or having one for breakfast.

Scamp
Old 10-13-2003, 03:50 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Scamp

How dare you consume those cresent rolls without the proper accoutrements? Your total insensitivity is amazing! Don't you know that these tasty little morsels are supposed to be consumed with brie, that famous symbol of French moral fiber, that runs when subjected to temperatures only slightly higher than a comfortable room? Kindly make this gastronomic correction at your earliest convenience.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."