The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2003, 10:08 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs up Happy & Sad, A day of mixed emotions!

Well, in the space of two short months, Sean my eldest son, has been commissioned as an Ensign in the Navy, graduated from RIT with a Masters in Mechanical Engineering and gotten married. Today, we had a blast. It was a father son outing, we went Fluke fishing from Captree, New York spending the day hanging out. I even won the boat pool by catching the biggest fish. $84.00 plus a JIB VI hat (the boat).

Tomorrow, he heads to SC with his new bride to begin a new chapter in his life going to Navy Nuclear School. Our oldest boy is now grown up and making his mark on the world. I told him that he had to continue the tradition I started with my Dad. When I lived out of state, I would buy a non resident NY fishing license every summer we visited and take my Dad out fishing. I told him this last time was on me. Next time he treats :-) . Great day, great weather but a little sad all the same.

Bill

King John 2.1.466
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2003, 09:15 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Don't cry Dad...he'll be back soon...

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 07-28-2003, 06:36 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Sounds like a great tradition. You done good Dad
Old 07-28-2003, 07:00 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Navy nuke school, eh. I know the Navy has or had a nuke power plant school in Idaho for Sub Mariners and Carrier guys but was unaware of anything going on in SC. No surprise as the Navy doesn?t keep me informed, LOL. Is that a power plant school or something else? The only challenging issue I see ahead is that your Ensign Son is going to get on some mailing lists and will have the job offers stacking up like cordwood and the rush will be on. Navy nuke power plant grads are highly sought after as no one can really afford the level of classroom education and hands-on training they get. Good luck to your Son, his new bride and brand new career.

Scamp
Old 07-28-2003, 07:22 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Classroom & Practical...

Hi scamp. What he was told is that he will be getting a high concentration of class room work for the first 6 months. After the classes are completed then they must do an additional 6 months of practical work on a reactor. Sean was told he had two choices, Albany, NY or Charleston, SC. I told him to stay in Charleston. That way , he would avoid a move and give me an excuse to go down and visit him and Fort Sumter, the Hunley, etc. he, he!!

Once he is finished with SC, then he goesto Groton for three months to learn how to drive a sub. Then he goes to sea for three years.

Bill

King John 2.1.466
Old 07-28-2003, 07:24 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default up here,...

...there is a training place up here, (no names mentioned), where the Navy men, and women train at the atomic power lab,...

...I see them all the time, so there is a good chance he could end up this way,...

...best wishes for him, and a "you did good" to yee

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 07-28-2003, 07:43 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Hi Bill

A sub Mariner then, well how about that, impressive to say the least. I?m sure they will give him a real workout in Groton as an Attack Boat or Boomer Boat is a very complex piece of equipment and there is no such thing as not knowing what?s going on all around and he?ll have to endure being a lower form of life until he earns his gold dolphins. I don?t envy him that experience but at the end of it all, he?ll feel really good about getting through. I hope his Bride is a patient person through that part of it all, as it isn?t going to be all that much fun and a real challenge for sure.

Scamp
Old 07-28-2003, 09:05 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Congratulations my friend!

Old 07-29-2003, 06:04 AM

You done a fine job!! More Dad's couldn't ask for more than what your Son's accomplished and the things he will do for all of us.

Nuke school - I have a friend whose been in for 17 years now whose on Nuke Sub's. He went in on his own as enlisted and worked his way up and through to Ensign. He's one sharp kid.

Currently he's in Guam for 18 months but his family likes it and so does his kids. They've been everywhere in the last ten years.

Once more you've done a fine job and so has your kid. Im proud of both of you.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 07-29-2003, 04:56 PM

Distinctions
Special Projects POM Staff Contributor 

Its funny but my father and I have almost the same fishing arrangement! Being grown up you sure learn to appreciate the time spent.