The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2003, 07:18 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Larry in Lalaland

Self and Friscokid are taking Mortardude out for lunch today in The City, in our usual effort to help and educate the rest of the country.
I'll post the pictures probably tommorrow

James
Old 06-21-2003, 09:37 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking I'm praying for Larry!

Poor Larry,

I hope Tom keeps you two on speaking terms.

Have a great time!

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 10:43 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default ?

So tell me just what part of Frisco are you taking him to? Just what sort of education are you going to give him?

LARRY, no man, she's a he!!!!!

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 06-22-2003, 07:42 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Cruizin With Larry

Well, it was cool.
Tom and I picked up Larry at his sisterinlaw's house and went on a ride in Tom's Mercedes. Now Tom's Mercedes is not a lowrider but it had to do.
We cruised out to Pacifica to Tom's favorite Taco Bell, which was, well, nice.Then we drove north through Daly City, past SF State (the most tear gassed campus outside of Berkeley) Stonestown, The Great Highway, the Cliff House, Baker Beach.
Then we went over to Chinatown West, which is the Western Richmond District (not to be confused with Richmond, which is where I live) for Lunch. This is also the place where Green Apple books is located, which is the best used bookstore in the state.
After that we went high on one of San Francisco's fabled hills for a photo op, then through the Castro, then through the Mission district, then back to Burlingame (did I say Tom was driving?) Larry is a very nice person and I enjoyed meeting him at last. and it is good to meet The Person Behind The Icon. Too often I focus on the written word and not on the person behind the Screen.
After we dropped him off, I learned some new words when we were driving along on the freeway and a big piece of sheetmetal flew up and cracked Tom's windshield. I tried to cheer him up by getting him to look at the bright side: It was all ready cracked! but he was disconsolate.

I had a good time, as usual. Nice to meet you at last, Larry and welcome to California

James
Old 06-23-2003, 10:43 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Hang in there, Larry

Try not to pick up on that strange way they talk. They can't help it.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:11 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking Larry, Larry, Larry, Larry,

Larry,

Are you still with us? Have you been corrupted and become a raving liberal?

Please answer us. Your friends are worried about you!

Frisco, you did protect our buddy didn't you?

Keith
Old 06-24-2003, 07:41 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Re: Larry, Larry, Larry, Larry,

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith_Hixson Larry,

Are you still with us? Have you been corrupted and become a raving liberal?

Please answer us. Your friends are worried about you!

Frisco, you did protect our buddy didn't you?

Keith
To Whom It May Concern
We have planted a chip in Larry's mind. He won't be the same Larry you knew before.
Think: Glassy eyed people stumbling towards you mumbling: "They're not like us! They're not like us!" Kinda like that.
Anything he says from now on will have been planted by us to sow confusion--the truth may be something else.
James

PS:They don't have good internet contact where he's staying--he was tweaking when we saw him
PPS, he's traveling home today (Tuesday), I'm sure he'll be coming up on the freq soon
Old 06-24-2003, 07:55 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking JAMES

LOL

Did you get the computer chip down in Silicone Valley?

Keith
Old 06-24-2003, 08:00 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Re: JAMES

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith_Hixson LOL

Did you get the computer chip down in Silicone Valley?

Keith

No It's Chinese. We got it in Vietnam, along with How To Implant Chips For Dummies instructions. it was our real mission, as faxed daily from Moscow, all that tourist stuff was just a cover. Our old ladies are actually Spymasters

James
Old 06-24-2003, 04:35 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking LARRY AND JAMES

seemed to hit it off pretty good. I did have to steer the conversation away from politics a couple of times. Didn't want any blood on my leather seats, ya know .

Larry is quite a likable guy, and I enjoyed giving him a whirlwind tour of The City. Since I grew up there and James grew up in the East Bay, even went to some places that James wasn't familiar with. Went to China Beach for some photo-ops of the Golden Gate. This is a small, little known public beach tucked away in the BIG BUCKS neighborhood of Sea Cliff. Robin Williams and Sharon Stone are just a couple of the celebs that have homes there.

Don't scoff at the Taco Bell in Pacifica. I went there after picking up Larry at his sister-in-law's house to get a soda. It was out of the way, but worth seeing. This is the CHEAPEST beachside dining in the state. You can eat your meal on the outside deck and watch the surfers, gulls, girls, etc.. It's literally RIGHT ON THE BEACH. Larry was impressed, but then he's from TN .

Went down on Clement St. in the Richmond District. This is a predominantly Asian neighborhood, but is also home to most of The City's Irish and Russians. I think the Irish like it because you can go for weeks at a time without seeing the sun because of the fog. Just like home for them. Two of my favorite Irish Irish bars are in this neighborhood. The Plough And Stars has some of the best traditional Irish music in The City, and Ireland's 32 is a popular hang out for alot of the boys and girls directly from the Emerald Isle. It is also a big I.R.A. hang out. Can be a tough place at times. Definately not a place to enter with a big English flag on your t-shirt. All the tourists go to Chinatown for chinese food, but the Richmond has the best chinese, vietnamese, korean, or thai food in The City. We ate at a burger joint .

No trip to San Francisco would be complete without seeing the Haight-Ashbury, so I did a drive-through for Larry. Pretty touristy these days. Not nearly the same crazy, phsycodelic, wide open free love, Flower Power Mecca of the '60s, but still a fun place. Especially at night . The Free Clinic is still there, but probably sees more cases of AIDS and drug overdoses than the clap these days. Pointed out the house where the Grateful Dead lived back in the day.

From there went up on Rocky Mountain for a GREAT view of The City. This is a great photo spot, and off the beaten path. You can get almost a 360 degree view from the very top, if you have the energy to make the climb. We went part way up.

From there we dropped down into SF's infamous Gay District, The Castro. Can often be quite a culture shock for visitors, but Larry took it all in stride. Andy and Packo: We just drove through, but when you guys come to visit you get to go for a stroll by yourselves .

To get to the freeway back to Burlingame, we went through the Mission District. This is a predominently Hispanic neighborhood, and parts of it can be a dangerous place at night. This is one of the oldest neighborhoods in The City. It originated around Mission Dolores, which dates back to the Spanish colonial days of the 1700s. Of course some of the best Latin food is found here. Not only Mexico, but all of Central and South America is represented here.

Larry, I hope you enjoyed the mini-tour of The City as much as I enjoyed taking you on it. I enjoy showing it to people. Come back any time.