The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2003, 04:25 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Unhappy More PTSD

Our children returning from war need our support.

Yesterday I learned that an Airman (hard not to still think of him as one of the boys) that I?ve known since childhood is in pain. The Airman was diagnosed with PTSD after returning from Iraq and Afghanistan.

"Why?" is the Airman?s personal story and not for me to tell. I know the stories and understand as much as those of us who?ve not been there can.

How many of us know people who?ve returned from the most recent conflicts? If those already dealing with their own PTSD cannot help these young people, maybe those who love them can help them or those who love them.

My son, Chris, is one of his best friends. Chris?s trying to help. Chris didn?t offer any assistance to the pretty young woman who asked why the Airman volunteered to go to war and kill people. She only got a verbal response.

Joy
Old 06-06-2003, 08:48 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Exclamation

I hope more young men and women have good friends to take an interest in them and let them Talk about their experience in combat I think talking to your peers about your experiences is most helpful.....
Old 06-07-2003, 07:55 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to judyvillecco
Question

Oh yes the more he can talk to his friends about his experience the less the long term damage. he really needs support now..God love him and he will be in my prayers. Thank God for your son who is reaching out to him...it is sad people ask the wrong questions but he just needs reassurance. he went because he was serving his country...it's okay to question it but he did nothing wrong. That's the important thing to keep reassuring him. Support and reassurance is the key! My heart and prayers are there with you.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 02:25 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 
Default Joy

Have your son e-mail me if I can be of any assistance to his buddy.I feel that it`s our duty,as veterans,to aid in the support of this new generation of warriors.I`m willing to try..

Peace,Griz
Old 06-07-2003, 02:34 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Griz,
You got it. I'll send you Chris's email.

Darrel and I discussed this last night. He said I was right and wrong. They need our support but nothing can substitute for "been there, done that, survived, got past it, sort of"
Old 06-07-2003, 10:03 PM

Default I don't mean to piss in anyone's Wheaties here, but...

PTSD (Post Traumatic Slavery Disorder)

Quote:
A group of African American psychologists have defined a new disorder which they call 'post traumatic slavery disorder.' They say when African Americans have struggles in society today, it's because of slavery.

When Omar Reid sees pictures from the days of slavery, he thinks about his great grandparents held in bondage on a plantation in Reidsville, North Carolina. "It was a lot of depression and sadness because you couldn't control your life."

Omar is a clinical psychologist who believes that depression has been passed down through the generations. He and two friends who are licensed social workers, Sekou Mims and Larry Higginbottom, have coined a term for it: post traumatic slavery disorder.

"It's the effects of slavery, it's the origin of some behaviors we see today."

They believe the way their ancestors were treated explains the problems they see among some people in the African American community today, like the large number of single mothers. "The breeding process still affects us today. For example, there were men who were bucks who made children, and that insensitivity, that numbness, still carries on today. That's why in most cities today black men have child after child because there's no emotional connection."

They say all the hard work on the plantation is reflected in the work ethic of some people today. "You worked for no gain. People say blacks don't want to work hard; well, when we worked hard it meant early death."

And they say some African Americans fail to embrace education because of treatment in the slave days. "If you knew how to read or spoke a language they would kill you, because in order to control someone you have to keep them ignorant."

And that, they believe, can lead to a life of crime. "I can't make it through education because I know I don't have the educational attainment or the academic stuff need for higher education, but I can sell drugs, pimp a woman I can go steal."
What a freekin slap in the face to all our vets that suffer from the "REAL" PTSD.
Which I have and still do experience from time to time.
This really sucks!
Old 06-09-2003, 02:06 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Angry

1IDVET I agree with you on that B.S. soundslike another Jessie Jackson shakedown ploy and If Omar feels so uncomfortable in the USA he can move to the Congo or Liberia and experiance the truth of living in AFRICA insted of the Myth some activist make Africa to be ......
Old 06-09-2003, 03:52 PM

PTSD,

Seeing one's friend literally torn apart into a lifeless hulk is enough to make anyone go over the edge. I will never forget the 10 May 1967 as long as I live. Still makes my skin crawl if I think about it.

I put it away for 20 years then in 1987 it just became too much and I needed some help from some vets who go tme to talk about it. I broke down like a baby and didn't know why and once I unloaded it I felt better.

I was surprised that it took so long for it to reach the surface either that or I just knew I had to talk about it. The VA doesn't know about this and thats the way I want it.

I've seen alot in my 57 years - but I've always been able to put it away and I've got a much better handle on my temper then I ever did. My 20's were bad years it almost cost me my marriage.

30's and 40's great the whole world came together. 50's are blowing by like a race car. 60's I don't know? 70's well now I've got things to consider and God willing if I make 80 I will be only the third person in our family to make it soooooo.

Ya know I don't know if this was the subject we were talking about? It's 6 PM I'm still at work I'm tired and I'm going for a couple beers before I go home.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 06-09-2003, 06:31 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Boats'
I think that's exactly what this thread is about.

Darrel didn't go into treatment until he retired from the Army. He's been to some of the same places that Griz has. With others, the timing was different.

Would it have helped if just one person saw, recognized and offered help? We don't all need help from the government.

Some just need help to understand what they are going through and to know that they are not alone.

Glad you're better and not alone.

Joy