The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2003, 05:41 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Traveling Wall...September 18th-20th

COHOES - A poignant reminder of the more than 58,000 lives lost in the Vietnam War will make its way to the Spindle City this fall.

Since the early 1980s, "The Wall that Heals" has offered the opportunity for the souls enshrined on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C., to journey back to the places they called home.
Local Vietnam veteran Jack Coonradt's emotional connection to many soldiers lost in the war is what propelled him to bring to Cohoes the traveling replica of the solemn wall housed on the grassy knolls of the Washington Mall.
Though it may be about half the size of its stationary counterpart, Coonradt believes the replica is no less powerful in honoring those lost and in helping veterans find healing from a nightmare experience too painful to ever forget.
The names of 111 soldiers from the Capital District who perished in the war are forever etched into the black reflective panels, of which five hailed from Cohoes.
William Francis McNulty, son Green Island political patriarch Jack McNulty and brother of Congressman Michael McNulty, is one of two casualties from the tiny village.
"It's hard to explain the feeling, but the wall helps a lot of people find some peace of mind and maybe come to terms with a lot of emotional baggage they've been carrying for a long time," said Coonradt, 55, a retired welder at the Honeywell Plant in Green Island with twin daughters.
"I hope the whole city comes to see the wall ... they won't believe how many 18-year-old men sacrificed their lives and never got to grow up and enjoy the little things in life," he added.
Coonradt be- gan a two-year tour of duty in 1969 as a heavy equipment operator with the Navy. Though he was never physically injured in battle, Coonradt says the emotional scars inflicted by the war, and the negative treatment many veterans received upon returning, will haunt him eternally.
"I still see their (fellow soldieries) smiling faces ... those guys will be a part of me for the rest of my life," he said. "To this day, I still have nightmares ... those memories will never go away."
The 252-foot black, V-shaped moving wall arrives in Lansing Park on Sept. 18 for three days of remembrance, special ceremonies and educational activities.
Coonradt may have led the charge in bringing the wall to Cohoes, but he couldn't have done it without many volunteers like city Chamber of Commerce President Mike Brooks, and local groups like the Cohoes Veterans of Foreign Wars, the Tri County Council of Vietnam Era Veterans, the American Legion E.T. Ruane Post 476 and the Veterans of Lansingburgh.
Their combined efforts helped raise the $10,000 needed to make Coonradt's vision become a reality.
Brooks views the wall as a way for veterans to come to grips with the guilt they feel about surviving. He also believes it will allow many anti-war protesters of the time pay respects to an entire group of soldiers who never received the parades or respect of those who served in other wars.
"The guys who fought over there were just doing there jobs ... I think a lot of people didn't put it the context that they were called to duty," said Brooks. "Keeping memorials like this alive brings both sides of a very conflicted era together."
Once set up, the wall will be lit and open 'round the clock for anyone to visit. Organizers are also planning to read the names of every casualty listed on the wall.
Visitors can also leave mementos at the wall. They will be collected by organizers and archived in Washington. In the past, family members and friends of casualties have left motorcycles, high school rings and other personal items.
"For a lot of people, standing in front of the wall is like being in church," said Brooks. "It also gives people who may never get to see the wall in Washington the opportunity to connect with loved ones in the comfort of their hometown."

..."Welcome Home"

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2003, 04:31 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default seat

Sorry, Im from Texas, You have to explan stuff to me.

Where is "Spindle City"

Been to the Wall in DC, Way-Way to emotional for me. I liked the statues better, I think that middle one was me. HA.

Ron
Old 05-13-2003, 02:14 PM

SeatJerker,

I remember the day the little wall made it to our area. I had to go just to make sure all the names were there of those who I knew.

My wife had two school Bud's that were on the wall so she too felt a need to go - especially to keep an eye on me. It was night when we got there. It was a 24/7 3-day event. I volunteered to be a guard but they said thanks we've got enough now we could have a full division if everyone who want to was allowed.

The little wall was mounted by a high school in the Heigts and it was under a bunch of tree's and really poorly lit but I think it added something to the atmosphere.

The tables were lined up and the volunteer's would help anyone seeking names or locations. They had a small box of artifical flowers and tokens to take home.

People had lit candles and many were standing there just staring at the names and the wall. I found George on the wall real quick and I about buckled. We went to school together and were neighbors. His Mom was blinded from giving birth to her last daughter. His Dad worked all the time to keep his family under a roof. George and I used to sneak his Dad's booze but his Mother (remember she's blind) would catch us unscrewing the top every time - she had ears like a bird dog. Great times and I remember all the things we did as kids growing up.

You know there are stories like these for each name on the wall. Other's I knew only briefly but they are not forgotten. Many I wish I had more time to get to know but that's not how its suppose to work during war.

We stayed about and hour and it was super quite there. When we left we didn't talk all the way home all we did was reflect on what we just saw and how we would remember those who have given the ultimate sacrafice so that othe's could move on.

Ron - I've yet to go to the real thing in Washington, DC I've gone by it several times but never stopped. I will some day its not time yet and if I don't make I'm sure George and the others will forgive me.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 05-13-2003, 02:31 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Spindle City...

...Cohoes is 2 miles from my house, near the Capitol of Albany, upstate...

...closest before was Springfield Mass. near Andy...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 05-13-2003, 02:52 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Unhappy

I think of them every day and thank them for my today