Old 04-01-2003, 06:40 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool N.M. Teachers on Leave Over War Protests

Apr 1, 8:03 PM EST

N.M. Teachers on Leave Over War Protests

By JULIE ANN STEPHENS
Associated Press Writer

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) -- Two high school teachers said Tuesday they have been placed on leave for refusing to remove war-related student artwork posted in their classrooms.

Highland High School teachers Allen Cooper and Geoffrey Barrett said they were told Monday night that they would be suspended if they did not remove the posters.

Barrett, who teaches history and current events, said the student art carried both anti-war and pro-war messages, and was created as part of a class assignment.

"I think this is mostly a violation of the students' rights to have a voice and express their opinions," Barrett said. "Asking me to take down the posters was taking away the voice of the students and I was not going to do that."

Cooper said one of the signs in question in his classroom read "No War Mr. Cooper." It was written by an Afghani student who has had family members killed in U.S.-led bombings in Afghanistan, he said.

"I really agonized over this," said Cooper, an English teacher. "I don't want to be suspended. I just want to teach my classes."

Both teachers said the posters in question were taken down by school officials before classes began Tuesday.

Rigo Chavez, a spokesman for the school district, said the teachers had been placed on paid administrative leave "in connection with the district's policy on the presentation of controversial issues."

Cooper met with officials Tuesday afternoon and was cleared to return to work Wednesday, he and Chavez said. Chavez said he did not know what, if any, conditions might have been imposed.

Barrett said he walked out of a meeting with school officials because they could not point to a district policy that prohibited the artwork.

"Our district policies are that I can't display my own personal opinion, but that is not what this is about. This is about the students' rights and they are too thick-headed to see the difference," Barrett said.

Kathryn Herr, president of the school's parent association, said the suspensions were alarming.

"I'm concerned that we are going to lose good teachers and good teaching over this, that teachers are going to be afraid to give varying perspectives," Herr said.

On Monday, two teachers and a counselor from neighboring Rio Grande High School were cleared to return to work after similar suspensions for refusing to take down anti-war signs.

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links