The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-29-2003, 11:50 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool Columbia professor's anti-U.S. military call

Columbia professor's anti-U.S. military call

Friday, March 28, 2003 Posted: 6:00 PM EST (2300 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- A Columbia University professor told an anti-war gathering that he would like to see "a million Mogadishus" -- referring to the 1993 ambush in Somalia that killed 18 American servicemen.

At Wednesday night's "teach-in" on the Columbia campus, Nicholas De Genova also called for the defeat of U.S. forces in Iraq and said, "The only true heroes are those who find ways that help defeat the U.S. military." And he asserted that Americans who call themselves "patriots" are white supremacists.

De Genova's comments about defeating the United States in Iraq were cheered by the crowd of 3,000, Newsday reported. But his mention of the Somali ambush -- "I personally would like to see a million Mogadishus" -- was largely met with silence.

A call Friday to De Genova, 35, an assistant professor of anthropology, was answered with a recording that said his voice mailbox was full.

The university said in a statement that De Genova "was speaking as an individual at a teach-in. He was exercising his right to free speech. His statement does not in any way represent the views of Columbia University."

History professor Eric Foner, who helped organize the teach-in and spoke after De Genova, said Friday, "I disagreed strongly and I said so. If I had known what he was going to say I would have been reluctant to have him speak."

He said De Genova was a last-minute invitee, was just one of about 25 speakers and "did not represent the general tone of the event, which was highly educational."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press.

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2003, 11:51 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

March 29, 2003

At Columbia, Call for Death of U.S. Forces Is Denounced
By TAMAR LEWIN

The president of Columbia University said yesterday that he was horrified by the remarks of an anthropology professor who said at a campus antiwar teach-in Wednesday night that he hoped to see "a million Mogadishus" ? referring to the city in Somalia where American soldiers were ambushed in a lethal firefight in 1993.

The professor, Nicholas De Genova, also called for the defeat of United States forces in Iraq, and said the only true heroes are those who help defeat the American military. He said Americans who call themselves patriots are imperialist white supremacists.

"Under well-established principles of the First Amendment, this is within a person's right to free speech," Lee C. Bollinger, the president of Columbia, said in an interview. "Not for a second, however, does that insulate it from criticism. I am shocked that someone would make such statements. I am especially saddened for the families of those whose lives are now at risk."

Those who attended the teach-in said most of the audience stayed silent at Professor De Genova's reference to the Mogadishu ambush, an event portrayed in the movie "Black Hawk Down." The raid, on Oct. 3, 1993, in which 18 Americans were killed and 75 injured ? and the subsequent broadcast of images of a dead American being dragged through Mogadishu ? prompted President Bill Clinton to order a withdrawal of troops from Somalia, where they had been sent to help relieve a famine.

"Professor De Genova's speech did not represent the views of the organizers," said Eric Foner, a history professor who was one of the teach-in's organizers. "I personally found it quite reprehensible. The antiwar movement does not desire the death of American soldiers. We do not accept his view of what it means to be a patriot. I began my talk, which came later, by repudiating his definition of patriotism, saying the teach-in was a patriotic act, that I believe patriots are those who seek to improve their country."

Professor De Genova's voice mail was not accepting messages yesterday. The anthropology department referred all calls concerning him to the public affairs office, where a spokesman said he had no further information on Professor De Genova, who is untenured and teaches anthropology and Latino studies.

The teach-in at Columbia, which went from 6 p.m. to midnight Wednesday and drew an audience of about 3,000, was organized by seven faculty members, who were joined by about two dozen other faculty members speaking on subjects like Middle East relations, civil liberties, pre-emptive war, the Geneva Conventions and Iraqi archaeological sites endangered by the war.

TO: Lee Bollinger, Pres of Columbia Univ
bollinger@columbia.edu

The remarks made this untenured Professor are shocking... bordering on support for terrorism... The FBI should call on him... the Univ should fire him... free speech is one thing.. advocating the death of American soldiers is quite another. Being horrified is not enough of a reaction.
Dan Cedusky, Champaign IL

Name: NICHOLAS PAUL DE GENOVA
Title: ASST PROF
Dept: ANTHROPOLOGY
Mail Addr: DEPT OF ANTHROPOLOGY
416 HAMILTON
mail code 2880
Phone: MS 4-0199
+1 212-854-0199
Fax: +1 212-854-0500
UNI: npd18
EMail: npd18@columbia.edu

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
Old 03-29-2003, 12:11 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Drifter...

FREE SPEECH (especially during wartime)...MY ASS.
Break-out The Rope!!!!!!!!!!,...or at least line-up a firing squad.

Neil
Old 03-29-2003, 01:56 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default it is a funny thing you know....

when was the last time some of these silly f**kers ever put their lily white-asses in a third world SHIT-HOLE ??? That includes Sheen, Sarandon, Striesand, Robbins, Farrell, and all of the rest of the Communist supported peace fools !!! Answer : not a DAMNED one of them....Well I went to two of them...and BY GOD know what the other 2/3rds of the world is like.....Raise all the HELL you want to thanks to our FREE SPEECH..but BY GOD do not do it near me...I HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF THIS SHIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DEO VINDICE
Old 03-29-2003, 04:59 PM

I wrote to the bastard, explaining my displeasure with his attitude and how it was because of those that died at Mogadishu, and other places, gave him the right to run off at the mouth.
I think I referenced something like cake hole, but cake was spelled slightly different, making reference to male genitalia.
I also let him know: "YOU ARE WELCOME, F**K HEAD!" as my closing statement.
Care to chime in?

NICHOLAS DE GENOVA, Assistant Professor
Ph.D., University of Chicago
Telephone: (212) 854-0199
office: 416 Hamilton
email: npd18@columbia.edu

HOME NUMBER AND ADDRESS!!!
Degenova, Nicholas
438 W 116th St,
New York, NY 10027-7203
(212)864-7103

The President of the University:

LEE C BOLLINGER
Title: PRESIDENT PROFESSOR
Dept:
OFFICE OF
PRESIDENT
Mail Addr: 202 LOW LIBRARY
mail code 4309
Phone: MS 4-9970
+1 212-854-9970
EMail: bollinger@columbia.edu

Here is the loser in question.
Old 03-29-2003, 05:24 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I sent an email to both...

I hope everyone else will too... I wonder if there were any peace-niks around in January 1942 pulling for the Japanese ? I sure don't remember any....ASSHOLES !!!!!

Larry
Old 03-30-2003, 05:33 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default email

Just sent the MF an email, hoping that he had pissed off some white supremist, as he characterized anybody who is a patriot, to the point that said patriot would place a cross-hair of a .303, equipped with a 180 grain softnose projectile, and squeeze one off. I would recommend that we flood the MF's email account, as well as that of the president of this sorry-ass school, and phuck up their servers. Pass it on.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 03-30-2003, 05:54 AM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

email sent!!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 03-30-2003, 04:15 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Other sources

Just got word from a fellow 2-47th Inf vet about this story, and he has forwarded it to 2,500 other veterans. If we can pass this story on to all on our respective email address books, we can impede the normal operation of the university's computer system, and maybe send the fools a message in the process. Keep hammering the system. Like Joshua, we can make the walls come down, with sound!!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 03-30-2003, 04:31 PM

Default Some emails for your pleasure!

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/president/biography.html

http://theschool.columbia.edu/flash_site/main.htm

http://www.columbia.edu/