The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-13-2003, 07:26 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to tdeane
Default New Soldiers and Lack of Respect

Ok guys...get this crap...

I was asked by former NCO to join him in saying some positive things to the deploying troops. SFC wanted Gulf Vets to calm the call ups down and tell them some about the AO and such.

This was/is a National Guard Transportation Unit from Central Alabama (we'll leave the # out for now, depending if the little idiot sends an apology like his CO says).

We (5 of us total) were supposed to go around and talk to the boys and smile and wish 'em well and so on. Well, I happened upon a PFC. This lad was checking his gear and loading it into his ruck and duffle. I asked if I could help and he said ok. We started talking about Saudi, Kuwait and Iraq and this little bastard starts going off on those of us that were over there 12 years back. He was saying things like, because of our lack of effort and inability to complete a mission he has to now put his life on the line. He continued with how worthless we were because we couldnt get Saddam and how he's wasting his time because of us AND because of our poor performance he may now be in a situation to orphan his children. DAMN, TALK ABOUT "PRE-COMBAT STRESS". Man, did I feel like an ass asking to help him load his gear.

I was like WAIT A MINUTE!!! This kid was being rather loud with his observations and his CO came over to see what was up. By the way, his CO is a Gulf War Vet. CO began to chew the kid a new one, which I didnt feel bad about one bit. Then CO turned to our Gulf War group and asked us to join him in his office and all he did was apologize and promised an apology from our young "misguided" Private First, I Just Got Out Of AIT And Know Everything, Class...whatever. According to CO this kid also claims to be the same way towards the Vietnam Vets.

Can you say, "This kid better watch his back when he hits the sand" ?

What an asshole...sorry for the language. Being there as an "ambassador" and having seen pricks like this before I had to restrain from making any comments of my own...we're there on goodwill not to piss these guys off. I was just really taken back but how this kid was acting and what he was saying.

Sad.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2003, 07:51 AM

Doc,

I know your jacked about the occurrence but if you can try not to name drop people or it could come back to bite you in the butt.

Blow it off and move on. Jerks are everywhere in every conflict in every theater of operations. You did what was right and he was an ass thats all thats to it. I could say more but the statements would boil over into something other than intended.

Jitter's sure everyone has them and what you have to remember is - that he will have to remember what he said - and now probably regrets making those comments.

We've all taken exception to many things in our lives. To me I can only worry about things I have control over. This young PFC will find his match when his he needs others to watch his back.

Regrets are the hardest things to live with and this misguided PFC will learn many in his life - or his legacy will be overrun with problems all his days.

I'd concentrate on building or lets say restructuring his outlook on things. Leadership means more to some than others. He needs someone to rewrite his current way of thinking. He may need a swift kick in the ass or slap up side his head once an awhile but eventually he'll see the light.

Be his friend he could be someone you may depend on some day and together you could save the world - who knows?

I speak for all jerks as I've been there and I'm gratefull to many who've stepped in and put me on the floor or on the right path. We street kids are not always book smart and we learn from others who we consider our leaders and you've got to separate us from them in order to see any changes.

Rome wasn't built in a day and there are many PFC's who need special attention on many issues. Some are mislead by other's who know absolutely nothing about the subject but are ready to fight you even though they are wrong. These guys can really make you life interesting. We all know a few of those.

Doc keep maintain and go forward things will get better if not the military has a way of showing them the door or the brig.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 03-13-2003, 07:57 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to tdeane

Thanks Boats...I'll edit the name out. Thanks for the advice, well taken.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:04 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

My take is that the young Pvt. came from an environment where everything is externalized, where it?s all a conspiracy, where the vision and perspective is a dot of light on the wall and where they are the masters of all known things, regardless of facts. We had the same type during the VN War and they were a risk to themselves and everyone else and weren?t given anything to do but stay the hell out of the way.

As to Gulf War Troops, I?m sure you were glad to have the cease fire but I?m equally sure that after refit with some beans, bullets, band aids and a gas-up you were ready to press on north and clean out that viper?s nest if given the go. It?s not your issue that the chicken-shit international politics caused you to stand down. Good job and welcome home.

Scamp
Old 03-13-2003, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

Sounds like a foolish child. I have no doubt he will return much changed and hopefully for the better.

To everyone that says the job was not done, (for whatever reason you think it was not completed) even if we had continued on what was really left? What were we supposed to do? Level Baghdad? Should we have slaughtered 100,000 more Iraqis? Would that have completed the job? The Iraqi military was torn to shreds, in retreat, and Saddam had capitulated. What else does it take to finish a job, to win a war? I get really tired of hearing we should have finished this or that. I suppose if we had committed genocide on the Germans during WWI there would not have been a WWII. There was nothing left to finish off......
Old 03-13-2003, 08:32 AM

Dave and Scamp,

These cold wars or conflicts are really ball busters. Your damed if you do and damed if you don't. There is no common denominator and you can't please everyone. VN was the same way.

There are so many tools in the arsenals that we could devaste every living thing in an area - but that's not cool!

These conflicts are called by Upper Management! They are suppose to know what they are doing. We are their tools and can only do the things we are ordered to do.

When they say stop - we stop and when they say go - we go.
No use crying over spilt milk. You've got to let loose the feelings and let those who called the shot - take them for us, after all we all are limited and can only do the things we have control over!

This is a very important issue. Don't worry about something you have no control over! Learn this an life will become a much better place.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 03-13-2003, 09:22 AM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

David...just show them pics from highway 8 and ask them to repeat the question.

Seems these questions are always posed by those who were not there. The people who have seen war up close and personal very rarely ask "why" of the common soldier because they realize we do not have the answers.

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 03-13-2003, 10:58 AM

tdeane,

Just ask me and will tell you,:;;;;;;

that ignorant little basta-- will be watching his 6 all the way.

With an attitude that this " little boy" has, he has noone to watch for him.

War is war, but it sure is nice as hell if you a Buddy or two hanging around . Know what I mean Vern.

As for you!!!!! RESPECT, you didnt fly off the handle and go Postal on him ( you had the right to )

I really hate to say it, but that kid will be a statistic instead of a Hero.

enough.............
Old 03-13-2003, 11:03 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Maybe I miss communicated. Let me try again. You Gulf War Troops were sent there to do a job and got it done in grand style. In my opinion, IF more was needed, then was the time to get it done and contemporary Monday morning quarterbacking, etc., is irrelevant and not at all helpful. IF there was nothing left to do, then by all means stand down. The mission was to grab back Kuwait, mission accomplished. Personally, I felt it was a bit short sighted to leave the Republican Guard around Al Basrah nearly unscathed but then I wasn?t consulted and my opinion didn?t count then or now. And sure, chicken-shit international politics held more sway than what might have been prudent or wise to do from a military point of view. And that?s my Vietnam War bias showing through. Hell sakes, we had to ask permission to shoot and usually the ?mother may I? went to a closet VC playing both ends against the middle.

Didn?t mean to piss anyone off-peace.

Scamp
Old 03-13-2003, 12:22 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Well...Fellas

Let's look at this from the good side. Such being that this isolated incident wasn't picked-up by the mainstream Press/Media.

After all, we all know that such a shirking responsibility and blaming everyone else for your problems attitude would be hyped as common amongst all NG Soldiers called To Duty.

Sure, we all know that NG Units have served well in the past, and will undoubtedly serve well in the future. That's what they do.
However, when The Press/Media harps over and over and over about even the sorry likes of the soldier(?) in question,...The Public is led to believe that all soldiers think similarly, which is absolutely wrong.

Thusly, and Blanket Parties aside, I would suggest keeping the sorry-ass-excuse-for-a-soldier pretty-much muzzled and away from any type communication, since cannot be trusted.

Neil