The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-28-2003, 05:27 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Question Am I off the deep end or what?

I find it disturbing that a lot of people are putting up posts about sons, daughters, personnel interest and hardship cases of persons being deployed to the middle east. Names, Ranks, Units when and where deployed ETC. At the very least this information could be used to create psychological stress by sending a false letter to a family detailing a missing in action report.

I realize that with the advent of the INTERNET and instant news reporting, secrets are hard to keep. Don't stop making your posts, just be a little more discretionary in personnel data included in the post.

Maybe I am to cautious, then again, maybe not. The life you save may be that of my son.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2003, 06:02 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Wink

Had to smile when I saw the title of your post - could have answered that with out reading it. You ain't been right since 1954!.Your right though on this topic- kinda hard to believe someone would be watching this site for info - but possible - however remote , it's not worth putting any of our soldiers in any more harms way than necessary. That line about Phillip hit my heart. Get that roof up on the mountain bar/ bunk house. See ya Sat. bro.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 

No you're not off the deep end. You have a very valid point and concern. Thanks for the post.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:25 AM

Default very good info...bad folk always lookin for intel..

Member in the 'nam where we had to burn all of our letters from home so someone couldn't start mailing all kinds of vile-crapola back and upset our families, or worse... show up at their house and harass them or even worse ? well, multiply that by 1,000+ or more with the kind of cyber-creeps, perverts, impersonators, assholes, jerks, thrill-seekers, site-pests, and "people" who just like to cause a-load-o'-misery in other folks lives, and let your imagination run wild. once anyone's personal info gets onto the internet, there is no tellin where in the world it will come out. you will notice a good deal of the time that air force / navy / marine pilots only give their "call-sign" ( i.e. "Diablo", "Ace" etc.. ) in interviews so if captured no one will know who they are. all active duty / reserve / and Guard troops should be just as cautious on the 'Net, when posting who they are, where they are stationed, deployment info, etc. I don't know what the rules are on military.com ( a true-circus ! ) or on some of the Marine sites...just IMHO..

pig jon

HogChain MS
Old 01-28-2003, 06:53 AM

Jon,

Didnt know anyone from Miss had knowledge of that many big words.

Just kidding there bubba.

I remember those days, and the internet is the worst place in the universe to post such a thing.

What was the old saying about communications?

Teleophone
Telelgraph and
tell a woman

Well now a days I guess you can say tel- a - net, cause anyone who wants can get into anything they want ( at a price costs also )

more..........
Old 01-28-2003, 07:11 AM

Default sometimes i come to my senses...

after 50+ years of smelling pig and chicken poop ..yer ol brain do get a bit cornfused, but it has been so danged cold i haven't has to inhale a lot so to speak...MS, ARK, and TN are always at the bottom of the heap in just about every survey..quality of life ( not sure what thatb really means ), edumacation, etc.. but it allway seem like no matter where you wer born and brung up, it is HOME, be it Brooklyn, Los Angeles, Louisiana, Idaho, Mississippi, Chicago, or even.....god forbid... International falls, MN...the coldst place in the us of a..been there once in winter...no desire a-tall to go back...got to go check on some piggies...take care you-all

pig jon

Old 01-28-2003, 02:33 PM

pho127...i sent david a P M about it...
i won't say any more

enough!!!!!

dan t
Old 01-29-2003, 05:32 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Off the deep end.

Yes, I think you are making something out of nothing. We, oops, I mean I, oops, I mean they can learn nothing of these troop movements from this imperialist, oops, I mean from this imformative site. Please tell us, I mean, please tell me more for I am just interested for historic sake.

Sadamm bin Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 01-29-2003, 06:00 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Then I go home last night and read my Newsweek - several pages of who is there , who is coming , where they are located, what kind and how many weapons they have. Probable courses of action , and a map of all this ! I don't think our loose lips on this site will sink any ships. LT. John 4/7 Atlanta Horse Cavalry.Moving on barges to Macon - but don't tell them , they are a very peaceful city and will never expect this attack. Remember our motto " We will do what we can , if we have time"
Old 01-29-2003, 06:06 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

We used to post on another website where members asked too many questions about our son, the sailor. They wanted to know his full name, where he was stationed, etc. I posted I would only post information that I was comfortable with and that it was not up to me to tell them personal information about anyone else.

Got a nasty reaction from some. We're not posting there any more.