The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-02-2008, 05:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking If you're gonna be a Wannabe, do it in style!

by Benjamin Alexander-Bloch, The Times-Picayune
Wednesday October 01, 2008, 9:00 PM

Jerome Ticker, dressed in a captain's Navy whites complete with prestigious Navy Cross, Silver Star and Purple Heart decorations, was quite the striking figure at his wedding in Slidell.

The problem is, he never served in the Navy, or in any branch of the military.

Ticker, 42, of the Holden community in Livingston Parish, had convinced his fiancee that he was a war hero, a Navy Seal festooned with medals, and so it was only fitting for him to decorate himself to a T in his deceit for their April 12 nuptials.

While the bride may have fallen for Ticker's tale, at least one person at the ceremony didn't buy it, and notified authorities.

On Tuesday, Ticker pleaded guilty in New Orleans to a federal charge of illegally wearing the medals and was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Jay Zainey to 12 months of home confinement, followed by two years of supervised release and a $500 fine.

"He said he was motivated as a desire to impress his wife, " U.S. Attorney Jim Letten said.

Ticker could not be reached for comment.

The Stolen Valor bill, passed into law in 2006, expanded and increased federal penalties for falsely claiming to have earned any decoration or medal authorized by Congress for the armed forces.

Ticker bought the uniform online and the awards from a local military surplus store, according to Special Agent D'Wayne W. Swear, the New Orleans investigator for the U.S. Naval Criminal Investigative Service.

Ticker, who works for a building maintenance company in Gonzales, posed as a Navy captain, the rank just below rear admiral. Previously, with his first wife, he had played the part of a lieutenant commander in the Navy, Swear said.

For his April wedding, Ticker mistakenly wore a Lieutenant Commander's hat with his captain's uniform.

The proper captain's hat has gold leafing on the bill, leafing that Navy men call "scrambled eggs."

Swear tracked Ticker down after Swear received an anonymous tip from someone at the wedding. The tip directed him to online wedding photographs that showed Ticker in his full, illegal and improperly configured regalia.

In their book, "Stolen Valor: How the Vietnam Generation Was Robbed of its Heroes and its History, " B.G. Burkett and Glenna Whitley write about the phony war hero phenomenon.

Burkett, a consultant on military fraud for various federal law enforcement agencies, said that generally, veterans are considered brave, loyal, patriotic, trustworthy and honest. Therefore people who have low self-esteem hope to get those qualities thrust upon them by alluding to heroic -- even if fictitious -- exploits in battle.

A typical motivation is to impress women or make women trust them, Burkett and Whitley said.

"And the Navy Seal is a very popular one among phonies, " said Whitley, who mentioned that other popular choices are prisoners of war, especially with all the recent attention to presidential candidate Sen. John McCain, and special forces soldiers.

"People don't want to be the run-of-the-mill soldier, who just does his job and serves his time in the military, " she said. "If you are making something up, you might as well go all the way."

In the 2005 comedy film "Wedding Crashers, " actors Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson discuss how to get free drinks at weddings that have cash bars.

"Purple Hearts, " Vaughn says, pulling out two medals. "We won't have to buy drinks all night."

"Perfect, " Wilson replies.

At the time, the scene caused an uproar among veterans groups. New Line Cinema's Web site, in a promotion of the film that instructed people on how to win attention at a wedding, had suggested that would-be wedding crashers print out a fake Purple Heart medal because "carrying a Purple Heart in your jacket guarantees you attention, admiration and plenty of free booze."

"To get one of these babies, some dudes have to prove their physical, mental and spiritual strength with great feats of bravery on the battlefield, " it continued.

Because of the controversy, the studio eventually pulled the promotion, prompted in part by intervention from U.S. Rep. John Salazar, D-Colo., who that same year sponsored the Stolen Valor Act. The name of the act was based on Burkett and Whitley's book.

"If any movie-goers take the advice of the 'Wedding Crashers' and try to use fake Purple Hearts to get girls, they may wind up picking up an FBI agent instead, " Salazar warned at the time.

Wearing, manufacturing, buying, selling or trading a Medal of Honor already was a federal crime, but the Stolen Valor bill expanded the law to include more medals and allowed prosecution of anyone who falsely claimed to have earned one.

Under the current federal law, the maximum sentence is one year in prison and a $5,000 fine.

Steve / 82Rigger
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2008, 05:06 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

This POS got off too easy.

Shoulda turned him over to the Navy, let them lock him up and tie the jail key to a wild rabbit.

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 10-02-2008, 06:17 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default The judge is a POS

And who was the POS federal judge that sentenced him so lightly? "...12 months of home confinement, followed by two years of supervised release and a $500 fine." That's not even a slap on the wrist. I thought that a violation of the Stolen Valor Act was a felony?

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 10-02-2008, 06:35 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Brice,

From what I've read, under the Stolen Valor Act the unauthorized wear, manufacture, sale or claim (either written or verbal) of any military decorations and medals is a federal misdemeanor offense, which carries a punishment of imprisonment for not more than 1 year and/or a fine; the scope previously covered only the Medal of Honor.

I'll bet that judge is not a veteran.

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 10-03-2008, 10:27 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default valor

misdemeanor, should be a felony, should put this idoit in Iraq with a some troops to see what it takes to wear the unfiorm of this nation.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
Old 10-03-2008, 12:09 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Rigger

Thanks for the correction. I was under the impression that the SVA madde it a felony (as I think it should be) to parade around acting like some real person. And the judge is still a POS!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 10-03-2008, 05:54 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Brice,

The judge's name was not mentioned in any of the stuff I read on this.

Think there might be a reason for that?

I still think that the Navy should put him in the same cell with some sailors or CPOs that have been "partying real hard".

After he's in there, tell those sailors why he's in jail!

Steve / 82Rigger

Last edited by 82Rigger; 10-03-2008 at 05:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-03-2008, 11:10 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

The other side of the equation; people bought into the scam, the dishonesty and deception were flim-flamed by an artist of deception and skullduggery. That pis ant is totally vacant of personal values, self development or any other form of honesty. Slam time is ok, the more the better, on the other hand exposure of fraud is more important. Hey, O6 USN Captains know their stuff and the least capable swab jock knows one from another. Perhaps the pis ant reckoned that most people are not familiar with the USN and the reality of the BGM. BGM=Big Gray Machine.

Ay sus, no doubt at all that that deceptive mind is running at warp speed to create a new identity and new scam. What next? I recon as how parasites are just parasites, add nothing and grab all they can.

Scamp
Old 10-04-2008, 02:17 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Scamp,...

"I recon" that too, and/or that low-life scum phonies never acknowledge what TRULY are.
Just look at only how Barack, Barney, Jane & Nancy perpetually waltz America around.

Liberal Phony Barack Hussein Obama II or Jr. will never admit having a DOUBLE Muslim (Kenyan & Indonesian) Heritage & having longtime been: "Top Gun" "Community Organizer" FOR despicably forcing Bad Mortgage Loans be given minorities ACORN.

DNC's Top Financial Phony Barney Franks will never admit not being The Greatest Congressman EVER, even while proved TOTALLY inept & while caught having BOTH hands in the proverbial Cookie Jar.

"Hanoi Jane Fonda",...hell. She'll always be Typical Democrat Wartime Underminers' most favorite and to be revered TREASONABLE PHONY (Bill Clinton naturally DNC's second favorite). It must be that old Democrat: "Love (or surrender to) thine enemies" instead of fighting them bit I think (?),...since that old bitty certainly doesn't have the looks, anymore

As to Her Worship Nancy Pelosi, I honestly don't think it proper to consider her a phony. After all, anyone ever seeing her in action or while addressing what she obviously considers lower Democrat gods, general public, peasants or rabble, MUST HAVE NOTICED that old shrill & wild-eyed Nancy ACTUALLY BELEIVES HERSELF being some-sort-of-goddess, dictator, princess, potentate or Queen of The May.

Neil
Old 10-04-2008, 06:56 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I wonder if:

I wonder if his marriage made it. Having counciled many a young couple I seem to mention something about honest communications, etc.

Keith