The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-20-2004, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Find a canoe paddle and place a large cardboard box in the middle of the driveway - loudly announce that you have captured a "seabat" and wait for dumb jarheads and G.I.s to show up.
This must also work on wingnuts, aka AF types too. I had to have my old Salt explain this game to me. All I can say is....

WOW! You guys have way too much time on your hands!

Quite the inventive game though. hehe.
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2004, 07:54 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

One of the many ?rights of passage? was to send a ?Norman? off to polish the bow hook. (Norman as in Norman new guy or NNG). Anyway, a Bow Hook is the Sailor with the gaff that is seen in the bow of a motor whaleboat and his job is to hook onto a landing or pier or Boatswain?s ladder, etc. Of course the Bow Hook would feign surprise and outrage at such a request and that got a bit X rated and usually came out as ?you want to do what, ta dot ta da, etc.?. Oh well, these kinds of things always got passed on and the last Norman would get even with the next Norman, on and on. It?s one of those deals where if ya ain?t laughing all the time there would be a strong motivation to become a nut case manic depressive, LOL.

Scamp

P.S. Ya DL, time on our hands. The a-number-one job of a Sailor is maintenance of the ship and given rating, this can be any number of things. Secondarily, depending on circumstance, a Sailor can be a fire fighter, gunner, line handler, stevedore, painter, mess-cook, and more. My role was in ship?s ?eyes and ears? but backed up on the signal bridge, navigation and opps intel. But still, everything can?t be busted down all the time and ya can?t be underway all the time and clean can only be so clean and shiny can only be so shiny, zo, that?s when the mischief starts. And ya put a couple hundred Sailors at sea for 60-90 days straight and things can get real, er, hmm, interesting, ya, interesting.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:20 PM

I find much humor in you navy boys!

Hey, how are you weathering the fires out there Scamp?
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 07-21-2004, 06:52 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default DL. the fire......

as seen from my place.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:27 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Carson fire....

Anyway, I?m surrounded by Carson River fed pasture lands so aside from the smoke and a scene from Dante?s vision of hell, everything is OK. It gave new meaning to, ?Red sky in the morning, Sailor takes warning?. This was a particularly nasty fire and initially covered 1000 acres in 30 minutes and had the fire guys scrambling to get clear. We have real strong thermals here so I?d say the fire was a close to being an explosion as it can get without actually being an explosion. We lost fifteen homes in King?s Canyon and plenty more threatened in nearby canyons. At present the cause is said to be an abandon campfire in an area that is posted for no campfires at all as in, ?don?t even think about it?.

The terrain is real tough so the only equipment that could get close enough to do any good were the small brush rigs and the Forrest Service borate bombers. The burnables are buck brush and some ponderosa pine and all dry, real dry, so it was a plenty hot and fast fire.

Scamp
Old 07-22-2004, 12:06 PM

Meanwhile we are experiencing a deluge. Even with all the rain we've had this year they are still saying we are in a rainfall deficit. I want to know if they are using the Noah standard and not the NOAA standard.

I hit the live webcam for Yosemite (my home turf) and you could hardly see half dome at 8:30AM today. Seems they are hard hit by lightning fires.
Looks like it is shaping up to be a very long fire storm season for the west this year.
Stay safe out there!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brotherhood045.jpg (19.1 KB, 15 views)
President Ronald Reagan
Old 07-22-2004, 01:57 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

The fire has been dubbed the ?Waterfall? fire and is now cited as the very worst in area history. One would have to have seen the fire to know why the term ?Waterfall? has stuck. Reminiscent of a lava flow only it was huge volumes of red glowing embers flowing out of the sky, not lava. Stay high and dry DL but if ya got some extra water coming down, send it our way if ya would.

Scamp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss6.jpg (23.1 KB, 45 views)