The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-31-2005, 01:17 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to tdeane
Default Update From Daphne/Mobile AL - Katrina

Power came back online via Riviera Utlities about an hour ago...we took some heavy winds and flood damage.

My house is ok, just cosmetic damage but nothing that can't be handled. I did reaggrevate my ankle injury helping with cleanup, but nothing good meds and some rest can't fix. I have both I guess. My jeep has a few dents in it thanks to flying debris and is darn near covered in pine sap...these are so minimal to me and can be fixed.

But...

My mother got through to me on my cell phone and her house is destroyed and everything that was inside of it. She lives in an area called Dog River and her house took 4 and a half feet of water, part of it floated and all belongings and possessions inside are ruined and destroyed. Memories from when we were kids are now all gone. So, my mother, stepfather and younger brother and sister are homeless now. They are staying with me tonight and will move to a hotel tomorrow night.

It hurt so much to see my mother crying so hard...so much is gone now. My older brother and I are trying to help as much as we can and my other two sisters are coming down from St. Louis this weekend.

It's all gone...everything. My heart breaks for my mother. Clothes, pictures, furniture, books, keepsakes, computers, all appliances...everything.

When I got there things were floating that shouldnt have been floating. Refridgerators, riding lawn mower, couches.

My mom's antique furniture is holding so much water right now and all the clothes and valuables inside are ruined. And the awful smell of Dog River/Mobile Bay as well as the sewer line that took the overflow of the surging flood waters and emptied it into her house fill the entire house.

My stepfather lost his Chevy Blazer. It was flooded along with the house and the waters turned the vehicle around and deposited it at the front of their driveway.

My brother and sister lost all their clothes and toys. All covered in mud, sewage and water logged.

God, I hurt so much for my family right now and I feel so bad to be so fortunate to only lose power and have light cosmetic damage and them lose everything.

We talked with FEMA today and that paperwork has started. The home insurance folks will come out and tally up the damages. The Blazer only had liability insurance and isnt covered by "Acts of God".

My second home, my civilian employment, Battleship Memorial Park was totaled as well. The winds and storm surge caused the ship to list, broke the gangway, destroyed the Aircraft Pavilion and 70% of the aircraft inside. Displays are scattered about the park, aircraft broke from their tie-downs and floated. The gift shop was blown open. The sub was fine. But, I was told by my boss (whenever the Army releases me to go back, then he'll be my boss again) that we will not reopen Battleship Memorial Park until late November, at the earliest...that may not happen if you see the damage done.

I do feel sorry for New Orleans and Mississippi...but that takes a backseat to me because of the total loss of my mother. I have never seen her cry so much or hurting so much. Everything...gone from her life.

It may be a bit when I can post again, too much clean up and help with my mother. We will try to salvage what little we can and go from there.

Folks, I've seen some pretty damn harsh things in my time in service with the Army and two combat zones. I've pulled bodies out of buildings and vehicles all lifeless, but nothing ever prepared me to see my mother break down the way she did. We're praying for a miracle here.

Out Here...for now.

if you all need anything you can email me:
timothy.deane1@us.army.mil
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2005, 03:48 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Doc Deane,
This has got to be really tough for you and your family. My prayers are with you and yours. Please, please let me know if there is anything I can do.

Chilidog
Old 08-31-2005, 04:35 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

You got each other Doc. The rest can be replaced. Sorry for your pain. Baby steps brother just keep movin
Old 08-31-2005, 06:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tina Send a message via Yahoo to Tina
Distinctions
POM 

Doc
you and your family are in my prayers.. I pray for a mericale for you and your family.. Like John said "baby steps"
we are here for you when you need us most..
love ya
Your friend and God Bless,
Tina

To the past: Thank you for all you did for our Country..

To the future: Thank you for all you will do for our Country

To those we have lost past prestent and future: R.I.P You might be gone.BUT you will NEVER be forgotten
Old 08-31-2005, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

Our prayers and hearts go out to you Deane. Thank God no one in your family was hurt.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

Doc,
It?s a real tragedy that a lifetime of memories has been destroyed and your Mom and family have to pretty much start from scratch. Maybe ? just maybe some things can be salvaged but the important thing is that although you all are all extremely sad and distraught, and it?s easy for those of us who haven?t experienced something like this to talk, the really important thing and in the long run the only one that matters is that everyone is alive.

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
Old 08-31-2005, 09:54 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

What everyone else said Doc...

Arrow>>>>>>

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 08-31-2005, 10:05 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Doc!

What everyone else has said....doubled. Hang tough Para!

Airborne!

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)