The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2002, 11:56 AM

Default Why the American flag is folded 13 times

[color=crimson]
Have you ever wondered why the flag of the United States of America is floded 13 times when it is lowered or when it is floded and handed to the widow at the burial of a veteren?
Here is the meaning of each of those flods and what it means to you.
The "First flod" of our flag is a symbol of life.
The "second flod" is a symbol of our belief in eternal life.
The"third flod" is made in honor and remembrance of the veterens departing our ranks who gave a portion of their lives for the defence of our country to attain peace throughout the world.
The "fourth flod" represents our weaker nature, for as American citizens trusting in God,it is to him we turn in times of peace as well as times of war for his divine guidance.
the "fifth flod" is in the words of Stephen Decatur, "Our country, in dealing with other countriesmay she always be right:but it is still our country,right or wrong'.
the" sixth flod" is for where our hearts lie,it is with our heart that we pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America,and to the Repblic for which it stands, one nation under God,indivsidle, with Liberty and Jusice for all.
The "seventh flod"is a tribute to our Armed Forces, for it is through the armed forces that we protect our country and our flag against all her enemies, whether they be found within or without the boundaries of our repblic.
The "eighth flod"is a tribute to the one who entered into the vally of the shadow of death,that we might see the light of day, and to honor mother,for whom it filies on mother day.
The "ninth flod" is a tribute to womanhood: for it has been though their faith,their love,loyaily and devotion that the character of the men and women who have made this country great has been molded.
The "tenth flod" is a tribute to the father,for he too, has given his sons and daughters for the defense of our country since they were first born.
The "eleventh flod" in the eyes of a Hebew citizen represents the seal of King David and King Solomon,and glorrifies in their eyes, the God of Abraham,Isaac,and Jacob.
The "twelifth flod" in the eyes of a Christian citizen, represent an emblem of eterity and glorifies, in their eyes, God the father,the Son,and the Holy Spirit.
When the flag is completely floded,the stars are uppermost reminding us of our nation's motto,In God We Trust".
After the flag is completeely floded and tucked in, it takes on the appearance of a cocked hat, ever remindingf us of the soldiers who served under General George Washington, and the sailors and Captain John Paul Jones, who were followed by their comrades and shipmates in the Armed Forces of the United States, preserving for us the rights, privileges, and freedoms we enjoy today.
The next time you see a flag ceremony honoring someone that has seved our country, either in the Armed Forces or in our civilian service such as police force or fire department, keep in mind the ALL IMPORTANT reasons behind each and every movement.
THEY HAVE PAID THE ULTIMATE SACRFICE FOR ALL OF US BY HONORING OUR FLAG AND OUR COUNTRY.

razz

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2002, 11:41 AM

Blues,
Thank you for that post. I sure others than just myself have never known the "reasons" for the 13 folds.
Old 10-24-2002, 11:49 AM

Sgt: A better message than "otherwise occupied", and sure to put off sales calls.
Blues: Thanks for the lesson. Would you believe I was in my forties before I even knew there was protocol for hanging the flag outdoors? To bad these things are not taught in schools.
Old 10-24-2002, 12:25 PM

When I was at Devens ma.was on a funeral detail and there was an old master sgt. told me that and I've never forgot it.
razz