The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2004, 01:32 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Unhappy The sunset of a life...long

My grandpa is 84 years old. In reality he is older than he should be...it seems there were many times he should of died but he didn't.

My grandpa is about the most stubborn ol butt head God created but he is one hell of a man. He was born in 20 grew up with a hard life and 14 brothers and sisters. During the depression he hopped trains to get work to help support his family. He also worked for the works program(can't think of the exact name right now) and helped plant trees and who knows what else.

He joined the army. Trained in california for the tanks. One of his favorite stories to tell is of the birds following the ship overseas.....saying that the back there was a toilet. He just get kicks out of the birds. He served and did his time in Africa and Italy. Saw many thing he shouldn't like most who served. He lost his best friend while he was right besides him.

He came home then married my grandma and had 4 kids of his own. Raised them as best he could and then when I was born and my mom had to leave my father he became a father to us. For that I don't even know how to say thank you.

He has been getting sick and telling us he is tired....not just plain tired but tired of life. I can see it in his eyes that he is about ready to go on. I am mad because I feel like I havn't had enough time with him.....i'm just 23 and I wanted him to see somethings that will happen in my life. I always knew he wouldn't be able to but I am still upset at it. I will be more than likely moving in with him and my grandma in August. My grandma is scared and he has no buisness driving at all.

Even when you know and see it coming there is no way to prepare for it.

Sorry for blabberin.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2004, 02:29 PM

Dear Melody; Just be yourself and tell him you love him. Grampa is at a time when life has caught up to him and he is ready to go on.
Listen to him and I think you will find that in his mind there is no more in this life that he has the strength to deal with. my
mother who was 3 months shy of 100 said.enquote " I'm tired I want to see the other side. I'm 78, and like my mom, I take no medication, never been in the hospital, and the doctor says; "YOU'll live to be a hundred. Now that scares me. I don't want to be the RELATION that they drag around to family gatherings only to sit on the sidelines.
Go along with him and give him a great big hug. That's what he needs the most.
One who knows.
Old 05-23-2004, 03:02 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Prayers for you and your Grandpa.

Larry
Old 05-24-2004, 11:38 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

What 26 said. I hope my grandson grows up to be just like you.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:04 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Tell him everything you have in your heart for him. My grandmother died when I was 15 and I still wish I had said some things I never did.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:09 PM

A friend of mine just passed away last Saturday. He said he was tired too. They know when its time and are at peace with it. Spend time with him and be at peace in your heart.