The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-13-2004, 01:55 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Mel

According to some here they can have there way. We are not talking to the parents so compassion should not be here. We feel bad for there loss, but the feeling is no greater than for every other fallen Vet. Shes not special just one of Millions. Our military is not a video game, there is no reset button on our GIs. The recruters do what they have to, to get people to join other wise we would have a draft. And to imply that Kids don't understand what they signed up for is not correct. She didn't sign up to die, she signed up to get help with her education expence, which is ok but I can't belive she didn't understand that she could be sent to a war somewhere. After all she signed up to The United States Army, not the YMCA.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2004, 03:02 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Reading down through here I can't see any disagreement in regard to your first post Ron except thatthere is a policy set forth in regard to siblings serving in a combat zone. I agree with LT and Mel that it's wrong to recruit on any premise but serving your country and you may die doing it. Doubt if that will ever happen though.

Arrow>>>>>>>

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 03:27 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default What

Larry, Arrow, and DMZ-LT said!

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:40 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default DON'T HAVE TO RETURN

I heard today that the Commanding Officer of the National Guard unit granted the parents' wish. He put it in the girls' court, though. They can decide if they want to return or not. They have to the end of their 15 day funeral leave to make their decision. He said the Guard will honor what ever that decision is, no questions asked.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:40 PM

My brother was serving in Vietnam in 1967 when I got my orders to goe, When the Army realized he was in Vietnam on the ground with the Marines, my ordered were flagged and I had to wait later in the year when he came home before I was sent there. Those were the rules at the time and neither of us were given any choice.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:10 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I went by the strip mall again and noticed that it had in black letters "National Guard" and in RED letters, below, "Recruiting" and in the window was a huge black-and-white-sign "$8,000 signing bonus".....

Larry
Old 04-13-2004, 04:12 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I saw where it looks like they are pulling the troops out of Korea and extending the 1st Infantry Div. another 3 months in Iraq. One more major hot spot and then what ?

Larry
Old 04-13-2004, 11:59 PM

Sorry fellas, been bogged down at work this week so not much boards time for me.

I apologize, I did get the wrong family (Sullivans), similar situation though.

My thoughts on recruiting...as long as there has ever been an army in this world; there have been recruiters. And recruiters have a very long history since even the Roman days of promising big just to get people to sign up.
Now to trivialize these girls ability to make a sound decision is sad. Gee, didn't they discuss this with Mom and Dad? I certainly did. To say that all three of them had no idea that they would be involved in a war is down right rediculous. We can hope that would be the case, but plan in case it isn't. Everyone in this country knows about the downsizing of the active duty forces and how heavily we relied on the reserve and guard forces in the Gulf War 1991. To think that we would never have to rely on those forces again is living in a dream land.

Besides two of the three girls were in the military police...oh like that isn't already a "dangerous" career field. Hello, has anyone ever watched the show Cops? Her job was to provide security. People tend to shoot at people performing these types of jobs both civilian and military. But it is sooo exciting when you are going through the training program and you get to do things that you normally wouldn't do. And when you go home to see your friends and family you can awe them with stories and they inturn build your ego with statements like..."Wow, do you get to shoot a gun?"

This is what the recruiter hopes for. That you will go back and wow the masses and then more people will knock on their door asking to join too. Four of my highschool friends joined after I did.

Hopefully each of you read all the way through your contracts when you signed. I pissed off my recruiter by doing that. But then I reminded him that this was my life not his that I was signing for. I do the same thing when I buy a car or a house. So why should I do less with my life?
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 04-14-2004, 05:44 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking

Was a Basic Training , Company Commander for two years after Bitnam. You would not believe the number of trainees that would hand me a note from their recruiter saying " Johnny is to go to ( fill in the blanks ) radio school , airborne , electronics school , mechanics school etc , after basic. Some would cry when I tore up the note and told them they would like AIT at Benning
Old 04-14-2004, 06:53 AM
Doc.2/47

DL-

The third sister is a medic.Nothing very safe about that job.In the Army medics DO make house(foxhole,bunker,middle of open field)calls.Seems like no matter how much you try to convince them otherwise soldiers tend to get wounded in unsafe areas.