The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2004, 07:21 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Arty...you are talking about Mount Scott. I grew up in the Lawton/Ft Sill area. Can't say I miss much but the Witchitas!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2004, 07:23 PM

You are describing Mount Scott.......just north of the post...big flat top mesa that stuck up around 1500 feet.........with a big parking lot on top so's you could sit up there at night, look at the lights of Ft. Sill and lawton.....and make out. Talking about Bison....When I did the SERE course at Sill as part of OCS we were escaping and evading back from Lake Elmer Thomas to the main cantonment area and figured we'd be "Slick" and use the north boundary road to make good time instead of dead reckoning with the compass and stars to guide us. We were about half way back when we saw a jeep heading down the road towards us and needed cover in the worst way so that the guys from the 82d who were trying to capture us wouldn't see us. I looked to the right and it was just a big open flat field with no vegatation....I look to the left and see the boundary fence...3 strand barbed wire....and what looks like a whole bunch of bushes.....so I sez to my partner..."Follow Me". We get over the fence and hunker down behind some of the bushes until the jeep passes.....as the jeep goes by our "Bush" wakes up, stands up and starts emptying his bladder. It was the first time I had ever seen a Bison.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:25 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

My Dad was a 60mm mortar Sgt. with the 43rd Inf. Div. in the Solomon Islands during WW2. His take on using mortars in close combat was
"one long" "one short" "last on the target".....

Larry
Old 03-24-2004, 04:44 AM

That's the standared for arty. Get one over the target, drop 100 and if that hits short of the target add 50 and fire for effect, splitting the bracket. The theory being that you would at least be closer to the intended target than 50 meters which would put it in the kill zone.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:18 PM

Mt. Scott, thats it. You were not one of the locals unless you went up that sucker on foot. Does any one rember the name of the lake there, had a dam at one end, used to swim there and chase the local high school girls. Some of whom were older then me at 17. COLMURPH, you are lucky the " BUSH " did'nt have a calf, else you'd have had your hands full.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

If you are facing east, Lake Elmer Thomas is on the right of the road, this also had the swim area and Lake Latonka was on the left or same side as the mountain.

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!