The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-30-2003, 10:19 AM

Default If this Bush adminstrationgets it way anybody that works over 40 hours aweek

will do it with out any overtime, if the labor deptment get it's way! boy talk about a ant-worker white house we've got one. first the tax cut for the rich,now they've come up with a way of making the poor work for almost nothing. let's all give them three hims, ready him,him,him fu@k us the little man.
razz
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2003, 11:13 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Hoyin

So vote him and his cabinet out! Why keep someone in office that isnt working for you?
Old 06-30-2003, 12:45 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Maybe we should re-consider a lot of our voting habits! As an old Southern Mechanic once told me: "If something works, don't fix it! If it don't work, scrap it before it scraps you!!"

VERITAS
Old 06-30-2003, 03:00 PM

Default OT Pay

If this passes Im sure it would start a roit or two.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:57 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default FYI

The legislation coincides with the Labor Department's drastic overhaul of the regulations that determine what jobs must receive overtime pay. The plan would make millions of low-income workers eligible for the time-and-a-half hourly rate, but thousands of professionals would lose their extra income.

Nearly 22 million workers could be affected.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
http://www.msnbc.com/local/ctpost/1338665.asp?cp1=1

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/.../~c108XpUr4X::
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/...8XpUr4X:e1397:
Old 07-01-2003, 08:30 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to judyvillecco

What I found interesting about this is that the government is regulating this at all and doing nothing about all those violators of corporate crime. Not but one has gone to jail so far and they have taken millions in salaries and stolen pensions of many Americans and the government has done zilch! Let some middle class American make a buck and the government is going to take it away from him. What kind of Robber Baron is this?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 09:26 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default Darrel

Please correct me if I'm wrong. As I understand this bill a person (for example a teacher) who worked 8 hours over time could be denied overtime pay however the teacher would receive a day and one half off, with pay. The same would be true for firefighters, police, any civil servant.
Of course people who work such jobs can accumulate as much as 1,000 or more hours, which if not used is paid at the going pay rate, at the time the employee retires. For a teacher, firefighter, cop, city hall employee who's probably making 40-50,000 dollars, is this a bad thing?
Most all city, county, state and federal employees I know "bank" these hours without any legislation saying to do so. It's very helpful if you become ill and run out of sick leave and vacation time.
Also, what if a city gets into a budget crunch? By law most cities can not run a deficit. What if a city says we have no over time money left. You'll have to work for time off or your "shift" will not be filled. Been there, done that, thank God for "work for time off", at a time and one half rate.
This is only going to effect 22 million workers. Hence, I don't believe it will effect anyone at a construction site, or anyone working at Cogsly cogs. Speaking for a lot of cops, we loved the idea of working a day and getting a day and a half off. Two days in court at a trial and I have a 5 day weekend.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 07-02-2003, 03:46 AM

If you are one of the 22 million thats getting cut out of the ot it is a big deal. paying for just 40 hr. but working the people 50hr or more will put more money in the company bank and that all this admin.cares about.
razz
Old 07-02-2003, 07:43 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

"A two-sided issue indeed!" Some say yea and some nay!? Like most panaceas and tragedies, however, it will be most interesting to see how this one pans out in reality!?
Old 07-05-2003, 07:24 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Hmmm!!! At the risk of starting a row, here. What's the big deal? Let me give you my background first. I was a local 94 operating engineer in my earlier years. I worked like a dog and was paid well. OT for any time over 8 hours or 40 hours in a week. I received double time and a half for holiday pay. I was actually able to buy two cars with cash within a year. Then 10 years later I was promoted to building manager. I still continued to work ridiculous hours and got neither OT nor comp time for it. My hourly rate was nearly cut in half. In fact when I first took this alleged promotion, my pay dropped from 63 K to 46K. But
I was now management. I spent the next 10 years with no OT or comp time and miniscule raises.

Two years ago, I was transferred to another account (same management company). These owners are human. I get paid for OT worked on Friday Saturday or Sunday, or I have a choice of comp time if I take the time off within a month of the time worked.

I opt to take the time off more often than pay because I prefer to be home with the family. So from my point of view, its a win win situation. They get my extra labor I choose whether I want OT or comp time. A couple of comp days meant a nice little weekend jaunt in Vermont recently. By the same token, I have elected to take OT and used the money to purchase supplies to fix up the house.

I DO SEE a problem if the EMPLOYER tells you that it will be comp time or OT. That is not right. However, if the decision is left up to you, I think its great.

Some years, I have added as many as 5 days to my vacation time by taking comp time. It is paid time and you get to be away from the rigors of the job that much more. So unless I'm missing something here, it appears to be a win-win situation. Remember another thing, comp time is not taxed, OT is!!

Regards,

Bill

King John 2.1.466