The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-25-2003, 04:32 PM

Default phuloi

It is a joke because no harm has been done to either side as far as I can see. It may be a so called violation of article 13, but it has been done by both sides, and as far as I am concerned, it is an insignificant issue. There are more important issues at hand.

During Desert Storm, I saw beaucoup photo's of Iraqi POW's, but no outcry that we were violating the Convention. The only US POW's I recall seeing at that time were upon their being released, not while they were in captivity.

The positive side of the whole thing for the US, is that the photos/videos allow us to know who is a POW and what their condition appears to be. I don't believe it damages their dignity, and for the families, knowing they are POW, not MIA, may bring some small comfort amidst their despair over the fates of their sons and daughters. At least we know they are alive and there can be a post-war accountability should they disappear into the mist, as many did in RVN.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2003, 04:49 PM

Default sn-e3

Soldiers with bullets in their foreheads are not POWs. They are not the ones I am talking about. Let's stick to the subject.

If there were executions of POWs, then there will be an post-war accounting.

I wonder how many on this site put bullets into the heads of the VC/NVA during the Vietnam War. After an assault, it was common for US soldiers to summarily execute the wounded outside of their perimeter wire. Read CHARLIE COMPANY: What Vietnam did to us, if you want examples (photo's included). IMHO, the US is far from holding the moral high road, past or present.
Old 03-25-2003, 05:27 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Leg

Before they had a bullet in the forehead, I'll wager that they WERE POW's - now is that sticking to the subject? If you don't think we're still occupying the high moral ground, maybe you need to pull your head out of rectal defilade. And just because you might have read something somewhere in some book sometime, doesn't make it fact or true for everybody else. Don't even think about painting everybody with the same brush, as you will insult way too many good and honorable men.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 05:28 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default For the record and anyone who may be reading this...

My two units in the 25th infantry Division in 1969 / 1970 did not execute VC / NVA prisoners. God knows we had the opportunity. This was not SOP. What the ARVN did was a whole different story, but I do not know this from personal experience. I just wanted you to know where I stand on this.

Larry

Co. C 3/22 25th Infantry Division
Co. B 2/22(M) 25th Infantry Division
South Vietnam and Cambodia
Nov 1969 - Nov 1970
11C20
Old 03-25-2003, 05:40 PM

Default superscout

If members here want to continue to mis-interpret my postings and get nasty in the process, forget it. End of discussion
Old 03-25-2003, 05:57 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default leg

Then make yourself or your points more clear. Taking photos of POW's is such a far cry from having them being interrogated on public and hostile TV, or can you not see the distinction? What is sounds like is your opposition to this war, and using the POW issue as your cover. Is that an accurate assessment?

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 03-26-2003, 01:49 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default SuperScout...

Certainly can't answer for: "Leg", nor would I even try to.

Still, and after reading and re-reading a few contrary posts, Me Thinks that your: "Assessment" is right-on-target. Just my 2 cents.

Neil