The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2003, 12:08 PM

Default Waiting to jump off in Iraq

In the past day or so, all I have been able to think about is the comparrison of how the troops in Kuwait must feel as they await the order to move out. It is a strong reminder of when my unit in Vietnam would get a warning order for a CA. While waiting for the choppers to pick us up, the feeling was terrible. The unknown, butterflies, and a churning stomach. That is how these troops must feel. I sympathize, empathize, and relate.

I'm sure that most of you know what I am talking about and can feel the jitters of the unknown.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2003, 01:54 PM

I would imagine they are more than ready to get it on. The daily drills and sitting around can be very difficult. Too much time to think.

A good definition of a soldier is a reactionary combatant. Thinking can cause problems. Reaction and surpression must come automatically.

All that training ends and your survival skills kick in. It's only when there's a pause does reality come back and that's when the sweats hit you. Let's hope that they all come through this without any mishaps.

I wish them all well and I know it will be tough (not a cake walk) like many are saying. This will be difficult but they can do it together as a team the can do almost anything.

Take care you guy's we'll all be thinking of you.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 05:54 PM

Default Boats

Now that it has begun, I made the post because I was re-experiencing that same churning. I don't think you are ever really ready or "good to go" (is that what that phrase means?) in such a situation. I imagine that the jumps and landings in Normandy were filled with trepidation and fear. Being glad to finally get it on, after all of the training and waiting, is just a cover for the real feelings, IMHO.