The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2007, 08:42 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default DOD After PTSD Records

I was up at the Salem PTSD program the last few days getting an eval to go back for some more treatment. Packo and I have discussed this program before, noting is is the best in the USA. The people there are wonderful and this is very much due to the the efforts of it's directior, Bob Cox. He is a Vietnam Vet and has given his heart and soul to the well being of his fellow vets. He is everything the VA is supposed to be. Two or so years ago Salem VA got a new administrator who with his eagle eyes saw he had a progam of excellence. True to his calling as a beaurocrat he recognized excellence as slack that could be taken out, reducing the program to mediocrity and saving some money. A bunch of us graduates went up there and picketed the hospital for a weekend and the guy reversed and hired one new person.

The Program, though weakened, soldiered on. Then the Iraq War started sending people home with new cases of PTSD. they have stayed away in droves. When I asked Bob about this he said for one thing the veterans are different, not draftees but reservists and national guardsmen hopefull in for twenty years until retirement. He said they feared losing promotions or even being kicked out for psychiatric problems. To add fuel to the fire, the DOD is pressuring the VA to allow them access to all Iraq War Vets medical records in relation to PTSD. Now I know they aren't looking for people to pin medals on. Bob is so discouraged that he says he wants to fight this battle and then get out of the VA PTSD Program, he has had enough.

They are starting their first class for Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans in about three weeks. They and all the staff at Salem deserve our prayers.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2007, 06:07 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Doc, I really can't add anything you say about these people. I've known Bobby Cox for over 20 years. He has offerred me a job there everytime I've talked to him. Bobby used to run the Roanoke Vet Center and was the first person in the VA to offer me a job. I ended up in Maritnsburg, it's a long story, but we worked together for years. It's hard for me to believe he's been able to stay with the VA this many years....pure dedication. Hospital directors are about saving "money" for their own pet projects and to show HQVA, "look at how much money I saved". Not, look at our program, best in nation, dedicated people, helped thousands of men and women. Most directors aren't into anything to do with PTSD and hated the Vet Center program with a passion. "What can they do out there that we can't do in here". They also hated we were not in their building where they could watch us for 8 hours. Felt if your not in here under our watchful eye, your goofing off. Yep, goofing off seeing 40 to 60 patients a week in 40 hours, and having to do outreach to a large catchment area. The world needs more Bobby Cox's and his dedicated team of unappreciated workers.

Been there, done that.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 03-02-2007, 06:29 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Re: DOD After PTSD Records

Quote:
Originally posted by 1CAVCCO15MED I
To add fuel to the fire, the DOD is pressuring the VA to allow them access to all Iraq War Vets medical records in relation to PTSD. Now I know they aren't looking for people to pin medals on. .
Another fine example of how this government is abandoning our nations military veterans.

Like Doc says, there can be NO good reason the DoD wants this information.

Thank God for folks like Bobby Cox at this facillity. There should be a special place in heaven waiting for him.

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:27 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

One guy Bob lost was Don Lonnquist. He is a Marine Vietnam Vet and went on to get his PhD in psychology. He is probably one of the foremost experts on PTSD in the US. He was in the Army Reserve and has been called back twice to Iraq. In the meanwhile he has retired from the VA. I have seen him a couple of times on CNN being interviewed about PTSD. Both times his interview was butchered up to get the words CNN wanted him to say.

I've got to say, who is our friend? The Right is doing every thing they can to cut benefits not only for us old vets but the ones coming home now. Meanwhile the Left is planning an antiwar march on March 17th starting at the Vietnam Memorial. Those bastards need to learn the Wall is OUR Wall and those are OUR buddies. It has nothing to do with politics.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:57 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

As Kipling would say ....

"....You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all:
We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
An' Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool -- you bet that Tommy sees!"

Larry