The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-04-2006, 10:02 PM

Default old face, new story

PF -

Thought I was long over-due dropping a note on the forums...

All is going well. Right at around a quarter way through my second tour of Iraq. To me it's pretty apparent the changes that have occured since the last trip. Some of that should be chaulked up to my location being a few hundred miles further north this time. Some minor changes that mean big things to me are all the children wearing shoes, the IA/IPs don't hide their faces and a large amount of construction in the villages. It makes me feel pretty good to get outside the wire and see these things. To me Iraq has come a long way forward - atleast this region has.

My first time through was a bit atypical - coming in on the last few months of another unit's year long tour... by the time I was able to really start functioning to my fullest it was time to go home. After that trip I really didn't know if I had earned my pay out of your taxes. That time, however, prooved an invaluable experience as far as helping me to work in the right direction preparing for this tour so I was really able to hit-the-ground-running. It's not too often that an LT can be a platoon leader for more than one tour, which is unfortunate since I feel I have been so much better in the position for it. Then again most PLs serve in the position for only around 12 months... and I'm on my 19th. And 19 is as far as I'll be going. I'm hit with mixed emotions finishing up my time as a platoon leader. Right now I see this period as the most rewarding of my life up to this point, and I really think that I'll view it as that for the rest of my life too. However, it's time for me to move on to the next thing.

Fortunately I'm not going far away. This company feels like where I belong and wish I would never have to leave the people in it. I'll be sliding into the Company Executive Officer position. I have serious doubts how I'll do in this slot in light of my poor grip on both politics and the English language!

Life is pretty good over here this time around. There's most likely too much stuff around to entertain me. My room is on par with the rest of the troops: TV, video games, laptop, a library worth of books, A/C, heat (need that this time of year)... and of course some Nebraska paraphanelia scattered about. Even though we work long days - there's still some freetime in almost everyone. Last tour I wasted it by watching the same movies over and over, reading Maxim magazines or by playing video games. This time I'm trying to actually do something useful with my time: reading Tolstoy now, and Clauswitz next, trying to pick up a few skills in the stock market, and being more correspondant with the people in the rear my absences have alienated me from.

Time goes fast and we have more good days than bad days... and fortunately don't need to hand out any purple hearts, and the awards will be earned by countless hours operating heavy machinery and swinging hammers, not by a few minutes of pulling triggers.

And the funniest part of it all: even though it feels like I've barely been in the Army any time at all, I made the list for the railroad tracks and will be pinned Sept-Nov. The only part of promotion that I really care about is that there will just be that many less officers that don't deserve the rank on their collar trying to pull rank on me!

I have no idea when I'll get a chance to get back on the PF... just figured I owe this group an occassional howdy and an update after all the support it's sent my way. Thanks PF.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2006, 10:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tina Send a message via Yahoo to Tina
Distinctions
POM 

Brad,
Thanks for the update. You are always in my prayers.. Can't wait for the next up date.. And all my support too =)
love
tina

To the past: Thank you for all you did for our Country..

To the future: Thank you for all you will do for our Country

To those we have lost past prestent and future: R.I.P You might be gone.BUT you will NEVER be forgotten
Old 03-04-2006, 11:20 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Good to hear from you, Brad. Thank you for what you do.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:37 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Congratulations !! Great to hear from you again.

Larry
Old 03-05-2006, 05:03 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default thebrad

Thanks for the update, a very positive and informative report! As for all our warriors, you are included in my prayers. Thanks for being one of my heroes.

thescout
Brice

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 03-05-2006, 09:31 AM
Robert J Ryan

Brad thanks for the update, you and your buddies still have my total supprt in your efforts in Iraq. Hoping this is the year all of our men and women will come home. Good luck on the rest of your tour.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:22 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Thanks for the update. Still proud of ya !Thank you
Old 03-06-2006, 06:04 AM

Hey Brad, - Glad to here you well and moving on with your career. Time is what you make of it. Take care of yourself and you and your men will surely be there covering your back in any circumstance that arises. You've come along way and your progress makes us all proud. My best to you and your family.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"