The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-27-2004, 12:47 PM

Post It's Plastic Only for USS Truman Sailors

It's Plastic Only for USS Truman Sailors

Tue Jul 27,11:29 AM ET
NORFOLK, Va. - There's no point asking sailors aboard the USS Harry S. Truman for some cash. They don't need to have any.
The aircraft carrier is among the first wave of cashless ships, with its crew relying instead on debit cards. Everywhere dollars and cents had been used before ? from the vending machines on the mess decks to the ship store to the ticket booth at the carrier's recreation department ? now takes only plastic.
For the past two months, more than 5,000 sailors and Marines carried the debit-only MasterCards at sea. The cards were loaded with cash by crew members, who transferred money from their personal bank accounts by using one of five automated teller machines on board.
The Harry S. Truman is one of 24 Navy ships that no longer use cash on board. With the card, sailors at sea can receive pay, access home bank and credit union accounts, transfer and withdraw money, and make purchases.
"We couldn't be any happier with the program," said Cmdr. John King, the Truman's supply officer.
The switch to plastic has even done away with the chapel's collection plate. Worshippers donate electronically on their way in and out of services.
The carrier used to carry $250,000 in coins, largely to feed the vending machines.
"There were some people who were skeptical when we first started," King said. "Now we have very few naysayers."
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links