Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2005, 03:31 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default Now we're talkin'!

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nation...Age%20Soldiers

Lawmaker wants lower soldier drinking age

MADISON, Wis. -- One Wisconsin lawmaker figures if the U.S. military trusts 19-year-olds with a $10 million tank, then the state should trust them with a beer.

State Rep. Mark Pettis, a Republican who served in the Navy, is pushing a bill that would drop the drinking age to 19 for Wisconsin soldiers - but only if the federal government agrees it will not yank an estimated $50 million a year in highway aid.

A federal law ties federal highway dollars to compliance by the states with the required drinking age of 21.

"We're treating these young men and women as adults when they're at war. But we treat them like teenagers when they're here in the states," he said.

Pettis admits his proposal will be a tough sell unless Wisconsin gets the federal government's approval - or at least permission to start a pilot program to prove it will not cause more accidents or other problems opponents associate with a younger drinking age.

Wisconsin transportation officials say the federal government has told them there is no process to apply for a waiver from the drinking age requirement, and creating one would likely take an act of Congress.

The bill would create an exemption for 19- and 20-year-old soldiers from Wisconsin - but not for soldiers from out of state. A valid military ID along with a Wisconsin driver's license or identification card would be required.

A committee is expected to send the bill to the full Assembly for consideration next week, and Gov. Jim Doyle has said he supports it - as long as Wisconsin does not lose any federal highway money.

The Wisconsin chapter of Mothers Against Drunk Driving has lobbied against the bill. Its executive director, Kari Kinnard, said statistics show there have been fewer highway fatalities, injuries and other problems associated with alcohol since the mandatory minimum went into effect in the 1980s.

She also said research shows the brain has not fully developed until people reach age 21. "It's for their own protection," Kinnard said.

Old 06-01-2005, 06:45 AM

Can't military of any age get a drink on base? I wasn't carded at Ft Bragg and I looked about 16 at the time.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 07:35 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post I was carded at Fort Devens.

I was carded at Fort Devens. But, all I had ordered was a Coke. I didn't drink and still don't. I asked the clerk, why I was being carded for buying a Coke. She was embarrassed, also I was 22 at the time. Yep, I got carded for buying a Coke at the PX. Couldn't believe it.

I have mixed emotions about this situation:

If you are old enough to die for your country there shouldn't be any restrictions on what you can buy or drink.
On the other hand, many 18 year olds have the maturity of a six month old pup. They'll chase anything and drink to much and try anything without using common sense. So the present laws seem to protect us from them and them from themselves. I don't know how I'd vote on this situation.

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 03:25 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Chas H,

Back at the Norton AFB Airmans and NCO clubs, we could indeed drink under the age of 21. However, a problem developed at the Airmans Club because they also served underage civilian girls who simply claimed to be WAFS and had forgotten their military IDs. I soon became common for high school girls to show up at home in various stages of drunkeness...and dress! The combination of readily available booze and raging hormones can be dangerous. That led to cases of sexual assault and the Airmans Club was temporarily shut down until the situation was under control. After that, everyone had to show a MID card, man, woman, or beast!
Old 06-02-2005, 04:31 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Drinking age

The problem, as I see it, is that if you lower the drinking age for military you have to lower it for everyone. Now if they had a bar on base it should be alright as long as you didn't leave.
Whe I got out of the Army I was still 20 for 1 more month. It was wierd not being able to buy a beer and just got back from VN.

Ron
Old 06-02-2005, 07:18 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

They Changed the rules for on base drinking around 1983,when I turned 21 so it didn't affect me,I think and military bases had to match the States for drinking age in 1983 the only state that offered Military ID Card holders the privilege to drink off base was Tennessee because they wanted the Ft Campbell soldiers to drink in Tenn. Well that all changed when they threatened to take their highway funds away