The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-26-2003, 08:24 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Things seem to be pretty slow around here..how about a Roll Call ?

I will start :

Larry Nuckolls ( MORTARDUDE )
Bartlett, TN.

I have lived in the Memphis, TN. area my whole life...

Attended Memphis State University from 1966 - 1969

Accepted into the advanced Air Force ROTC program in 1968. All of my friends and classmates form high school were in the service some WIA and one KIA, and unfortunately my grades and attitude went south, so I dropped out of school in Feb 1969...

So I have an Honorable Discharge from The US Air Force and the US Army...

Attended Memphis State University, a business college, and State
Technical Institute at Memphis from 1976 - 1981 to use my VA benefits and didn't graduate from any of them. I regret this. Would like to have had a degree. Way too expensive now, even for state schools

Served in the US Army from June 1969 - May 1971 ( drafted )

Served in South Vietnam and Cambodia from Nov 1969 - Nov 1970
with Co. C 3/22 25th Inf. Division ( only for a month and was transferred ) and Co. B 2/22(M) 25th Infantry Division. I was an indirect fire crewman ( 81MM mortars ) and .50 cal machine-gunner on an APC ( M113 ) ( armored personnel carrier ) and worked in FDC ( fire direction control ). I was stationed at Ft. Campbell, TN. for basic, Ft. Polk, LA for AIT, and served 6 months at Ft. Hood TX, after returning from Vietnam, where I was assigned to HHC 1/41 2nd Armored Division ( the only division that allows you to wear the patch over your heart .. thanks to Gen. Patton... nickname of the Division is "Hell on Wheels" !! ) and was a crewman on 4.2" mortars.

I have been married 30 years and have 2 sons and a Sheltie dog.
I have worked for the federal government for over 33 years counting my Army time, and most of the time has been spent in computer related jobs, working with mainframe computers ( Big Iron ). I have worked on everything from a Honeywell H-200 and an IBM 360 all the way to state of the art equipment today. I may retire this year, but haven't decided.
I am sure my body will let me know. ( LOL )

My interests include : fresh and salt-water aquariums, Shelties,
military history, Civil War history, reading in general, fishing ( fresh and salt-water ), playing a computer on-line game called TFC ( Team Fortress Classic ), hanging out on eBay way too much, old baseball cards, gardening ( love me some home-grown tomatoes ! ), and for the past 3+ years meeting some of the nicest people in the world online through THC and the Patriotfiles.

Larry