The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2004, 03:26 PM

Default History of Viet Nam on Discovery Time

We watched a very interesting show last night on the Discovery Time channel. I wish I had known ahead of time so I could have spread the word, but I have a satellite dish not cable so I dont get the TV Guide from the store.

Anyway, The show was a history of the Viet Nam war from start to finish. It showed it all in an unbiased way. It did show the protests, but it didnt dwell on them. It showed several major battle scenes and it even explained the politics going on in Washington DC. There was film footage that I have never seen before.

I have to admit, I kept looking for one of you guys, Like I would ever know what you looked like back then enough to pick you out of moving pictures, right! :re:

Although I grew up hearing "all about the war". I really never knew the details what went on during some of the more famous battles like the battle of Khe San (I know I didnt spell that right), or the Tet Offensive, or the Fall of Siagon, or Linebacker I & II.

This showed all of that. The footage of the bombardment at Khe San was horrific! God bless any of you here who lived through that. My God it was awful to watch.

But I made myself do it because I need to know.

If it comes on again, I would certainly recommend it. It was one of the better shows that I've seen on the history of that war. It was called, "The History of the Viet Nam War". It ws narrated by (I think) Sam Donaldson.

Again, God Bless you ALL! And Welcome Home!
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2004, 06:31 PM

The joys of satellite.

I also caught some cinema v?rit? doc on some French language channel. I haven't the slightest idea what it was called or what the narration had to say about it, but it was fascinating to watch. Like yours it had buckets of footage I've never seen. (Is stuff just now being declassified, or were previous efforts just too lazy to dig up original stuff? Can't say how many times I've seen the same tired old footage.) Fortunately, the English bits were subtitled in French, not dubbed.

Definitely the first doc I've ever seen that showed PRO war demonstrations.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:40 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default DL

Andy has that Tape, I think, If you ask nice he may lend it to you.

Ron
Old 05-14-2004, 04:04 PM

I don't really need to see it again. It was a very good documentary and well done. I'd only want to see it again if one of you guys were in it so I could see what you looked like back then.
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 05-14-2004, 07:50 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up DL

Look in the Gallery , my skinney 122 lb a$$ is in there.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:41 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Re: DL

"I'd only want to see it again if one of you guys were in it so I could see what you looked like back then."

Look real close in the 2d helicopter, you can see me and my buds waving

James