Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-16-2004, 09:23 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default First I was an Assassin

" First I was a hippie, then I was a stock broker,
Now I am a hippie again"
The Bobs

Well, its just another strange but true fact that before I was an Airborne Ranger, sorta, I was an Assassin.
I had TOTALLY forgotten this, even through this lately Tiger Force Massacre thing, no doubt out of sheer denial and desire tio shrink modestly into the background on all things military. What happened was that when I met my good friend Dan in Memphis, he gave me a copy of a video that someone in our platoon (2d Plt/A Co/1st 327/1st Bde/101st) had made of his pictures of a whole year--I think--in that platoon and --I think--some other people's pictures too. There's about170 pictures in it, the video is quite well done, about 10 seconds per picture which is great for taking digital p[ictures right off the screen
Re: Assassins. I had absolutely forgotten that our batta;lion' nsame FOR OURSELVES was The Assasssins!!! You didn't have to dream up a lot of Wannabe sounding sht, they did it FOR you!!!
Thanks, 101st, all over again, for pulling the rug completely out from under the rug of our deniabilty!!! Slaughter civilians ?? Who?? US??!! THE FCKING ASSASSINS??? Gosh all fishhooks, we were there ONLY to do the Vietnamese good!! When you need good, healthy life and death decisions made for the Vietnamese you can ALWAYS count on the Assassins!!!
I'm rolling on the ground Peeing in my pants almost literally, certainly kicking back in the ol Swivel Rocker and laughing uproariously
(rolls on floor laughing!!!!!)
We ALWAYS called ourselves the Abu's, it was a nickname they got in WW!! when they were still Glidermen. I'm STILL proud of that link, I still have my cuntcap with glider patch
I knew Bob Slavik,the guy who took these pictures and put this video together real well. He and I and I think one other person lugged a badly wounded about half a mile up and down a muddy slope, him and the other guy doing most of the lugging while the humble undersigned provided security with a Colt's automatic rifle( I was also carrying a nonfunctional radio) and I think I can say without claiming too much in the way of heroism that I fired that same Colt's that time more than once and more than twice. Slavik deserved a medal for lugging that guy somtiimes under fire but that kind of stuff does not count official wise unless someone important sees you doing it, which I was not.
In this picture: http://www.patriotfiles.com/photopos...papass=&sort=1 Bob is kneeling in front of Dan to the left

What a wonderful gift this is to me I know about 1/4 of the guys in these pictures.

Here's Bob Slavik, as sound a trooper as ever strapped on a T!0 and jumped into eternity, another Assassin
Abu Bob!! I'm proud to have served with you!!

James Worth