The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-28-2003, 11:39 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Marksmanship

as I recall there were three different badges, Marksman, Sharpshooter, and Expert. I had three bars hanging from my Expert Badge, M-14, Carbine(m-16) , and pistol (45)
45 was the hardest. and I won $5.00 from the rifle range NCO. When he told me I was just lucky. And If I could hit a 75 yard head/sholder silouet he would give me $5.00.
I did all the 8 steps that he taught us and the target went down. The guys in my platoon all clapped. He did not like that, we left the trucks at the range and double timed back to barricks.
That was sure a good looking $5.00.

What kind of Marksmanship badge did you get?

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2003, 12:11 PM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default Ba'ges?! We don' got no Ba'ges!

Old 10-28-2003, 07:37 PM
Doc.2/47

M16=Expert
1911A1 .45 ACP=Expert
M14=Sharpshooter
Old 10-28-2003, 08:56 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

My Father was a SPC4 in the Army and was stationed at Ft Kagnew Station Ethiopia he was a jr. spook and shot both the M1 Garand and 45cal 1911 colt for expert. Me I joined the Airforce and the old modified M16's in basic(1980) fired .22 cal and jammed like crazy I qualified on it though. then in 1984 I had to shoot the M16 to go to Incirlick TU my orders just stated I had to shoot it (didn't need to qualify just fire it at little targets ) I hit it 40 some times just missed qualifying. Then when Desert Storm broke out the Air Force figured out we needed to learn to shoot again and I qualified on the M16 missed getting expert a couple of times but came close twice. Shooting once a year just doesn't get one very good at firing a weapon.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:11 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Expert: M-14 and M-16

Shooting was easy for me. When we qualified in Basic I qualified Expert with the M-14. When we had to qualify on the M-16 I also qualified Expert.
Just a days work for an 'ole' farm boy from Eastern Oregon. Just like shooting pop up squirrels on the back forty in the pasture.
Never could figure what was so hard about shooting. You put the blade in the peep and hold it steady and squeeze the trigger.

I didn't go through any qualifing on the Winchester Model 12 but since I had grown up with a model 12 they said I was qualified and let me use one for guard duty. Somewhere in my records it says I'm qualified on the Model 12.

Was suppose to qualify on the 1911A1 after I became and E-5 never did get scheduled in for training. Never was much for hand guns, never have owned one.

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 02:35 AM

Default Qualification

I fired marskman in basic on the M-14. The only other record fire I had was part of the RVN orientation course given at Fort Sam Houstonf or those of us at AIT that had orders for 'nam. I qualified expert on the M-16 that time. All I had after that was familiarization courses. When they decided the medical NCOs would be included in the Sergeant of the Guard rotation at Babenhouse in Germany, I was included in a .45 course. But we didn't fire for record, just at full-length silhouettes.
"No one has greater love than this; to lay down one's life for one's friends.". John 15:13
Old 11-03-2003, 11:17 AM

Marksman with the 14 and 16. Expert with the 60. That's why I got to hump the Pig in Nam.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:25 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking

Your Psyco Vet material for sure pig humper !
Old 11-03-2003, 11:32 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Got the USAF "Sharpshooter", missed "Expert" by six points... first time ever or since with a rifle in my arms, the old M-1 carbine.

30 years later on a public range near Novato with a friend's pistolery, shot Expert with .357m, .45, .38 and 9mm.

Prob'ly coulda qualified Psyco Vet if'n I'da knowed it existed and weren't a Zooooooooooooooomie.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:32 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default The

...other ribbon I should have recorded on my dd-214 was Expert also,...

...shot 99 out of 100 bulls eyes at England air plane patch, 98 out of 100 was required, and it never made it to documentation either, they really had screwed up paper pushers then,...

...but alas, don't need any ribbon to tell me I can hit what I shoot at,...

...AKA, ...Oakachee

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk