The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2004, 04:46 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default possible entertainment / field trips at the Psyco Vets Campout

Well, looks like my wife cannot get off work, so if my oldest son ( maybe youngest too... :-( ) is still unemployed, he and I will probably hit the road early morning April 21 ( Wed. )...we have a lot of relatives between Memphis and your area.....so I may make a week and half + trip out of it...

anyway...

some thoughts....

1) firing range...I have only been hunting ( for animals ) once ( in 1974 for deer in January and the wind chill was -12 ) ) since I went in the Army in 1969...I may have fired a weapon of any type maybe 5 times since... I would be interested, with the correct "SOBER" supervision ( LOL LOL ), in going to a firing range and will kick in a good amount of $$$$ for ammo. I would like to fire an M60 as, for some reason, I never have...just a thought...

2) hunting....I have always wanted to go bow hunting..in the 1960s I had a chance to go bow hunting for carp, but something happened and I didn't go... I would love to see some boars in the wild...killing them is optional..

3) any kind of fishing is fine with me.. I have been on a fishbank since I was 2 months old, and have the pics to prove it... LOL

4) Libraries / book stores / ...especially Civil War related stuff

5) military battle fields. ( my great-grandfather fought at Dalton Ga. in the Battle for Atlanta )

6) military museums.

7) Would it be possible for some of us to sit in on a session(s) at your Vet Center or VA Hospital ??

8) A trip to the local VFW, DAV, Shriners, or American Legion Hall ?

9 ) What is the closest military base ( of any kind ) to you guys ?

10) I don't drink much anymore...depression meds and alcohol are not a good combo.... I may drink a case of Heineken ( or Foster's or Rolling Rock ) over the course of a month ( 4 weeks).....that is it.....no hard liquor....as for the titty bars and all...not really my thing...sorry

11) junk stores / antique stores / etc... on most every trip we take I am able to find enough good stuff to sell on eBay to pay for the trip...just point me in the right direction..

12 ) "mountain men " ( not sure of the correct name )...do you have a chapter of these folks nearby ? One of the Oak Ridge Boys group was in this..they are fascinating people to meet.

13 ) If there is anything from my area ... food / beverage / books / souvenirs / or whatever you want me to bring.. ...please let me know...

14 ) I don't ride motorcycles......I witnessed an accident in 1963 that involved copious amounts of splattered brain matter on the road ( I wasn't riding........but was next in line to go with this dude ) ........ :-(( .... sorry again

15) My Vietnam memorabilia and my Vietnam library.. I am going to bring ALL the stuff I have ..some of you guys might want to make some copies of some of it...you are also welcome to borrow some of my books..

16 ) other books.....if there is a particular topic you are interested in, I will bring some books about that topic as well ( I have over 5,000+ books, periodicals, journals, and magazines on just about anything ... ).....it is no good to pay high prices for books when they are just collecting dust on my shelves..

17 ) whew....just some ideas...I am really, really looking forward to this..I hope anyone who wants to go but has changed their mind will reconsider... Sid and LT deserve a big round of applause for this !!!!!!! SALUTE !!!!

Larry

P.S. : Looks like I am going to go Memphis / Nashville / Chattanooga to get there..if anyone wants to hitch a ride, let me know...

where OH where is James ????
Old 03-28-2004, 06:48 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Larry,...

...I'm bringing my bow, with arrows, and a few rods/reels, if you care to use them,...

...Had the bow restrung as it seemed to have a "nick" on it, and anyone that has seen, or felt one discombobulate will tell you it's not pretty, nor fun,...

..bringing a fly rod, would like a heads up on what flies to use, just might do sum eda am catin' on dis box,...

...24 days?,....

...I usually do the antique thing on the second day of a deep sea fishing gig, after fishing, and puking the first, I do like dry land,...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 06:39 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Larry

How long are you going to be here? Bow hunting is ok but the only thing that you can hunt right now is wild pigs. Are you left or right handed. We have in mind some fishing on Sat or Sun. or both. I am leaving Friday for the swamps and try and kill a few wild pigs for "Camp Meat" I"ll also bring my 6.5X55 and .308 in case there is a chance to do some night hunting of Deer. Legal of course. My shrink at the VA in Atl went into the hospital about 3 weeks ago with terminal cancer and won't be comming back but we got a new guy last week who is pretty cool, a retired Chaplin VN Vet, Airborne and 2PHs. also PTSD. There will be no lack of things to do. I don't have much Vn stuff but I do have a 1/27 Wolfhounds book on our last year there, I will bring it.
Shuffleboard? we have a 23 foot board.
Poker anyone? Never played much myself, Bring some Quarters.
Some pretty good antiqueing in town and up in Blueridge.

Hint, Don't let LT take you anywhere, he is chief of the fukowe tribe.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:07 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking

I have a compus ... Follow me ! Should have heard the whole platoon hollering on my first fire mission !
Old 03-30-2004, 04:33 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Sid, Is that the tribe that keeps getting lost in the woods
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 03-30-2004, 04:40 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Picture the Indian

up on a ridge, hand shading his eyes from the sun, staring off into the distance. After several minutes of careful observation he turns to the Indian beside him and says, " Where the Fu%% are we"
Old 03-30-2004, 05:32 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Sid :

As I said, my wife is not coming to vist her brother in Huntsville. Probably for the best. If my oldest son is still unemployed ( looks like he may have a job now..not sure ) he will be coming for company..I hate driving alone...so...what will be the first day someone will be at Psyco Mountain for sure ? Does anyone live there all the time ? I can plan on being there then and leaving whenever you kick me out...How's that ? By all means please bring all you Wolfhound and 25th Division stuff..Does anyone coming have any authentic C-ration stuff from the Vietnam War era. I have always wanted to open up a can of 35 year ham and motherf**kers and see what it looks like >>..LOL LOL

Larry

P.S. : I have friends and relatives to visit all along the way, so I may take 2 weeks to do all of this...
Old 03-30-2004, 06:13 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

My wife is part indian ( A direct descendant of the fagowe tribe).
Cant find her way out of a paper bag. Bought her a GPS system for her car. She still gets lost. Just a little bit too technical for her.
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 03-30-2004, 06:14 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default First Day

Andy and Curtis are flying in on Wednesday and we will take them to the Outhouse on Wed night. We plan on departing on Thursday for the mountain and will be there from Thursday on. Mustache Mike lives on the mountain full time. COME ON DOWN.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:15 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Re: possible entertainment / field trips at the Psyco Vets Campout

Quote:
Originally posted by MORTARDUDE where OH where is James ????
Here oh here!!

I'm up for doing all these things--can't be bringing no guns or sharp objects on the plane tho so someone from down there will have to contribute the hardware.
I'm down with contributing to buying some ammo and banging away
Someone's got an M60?? Cool, bring it to the party--I fired them a lot and it was fun.
Larry, when I said me and Doc Fred was going to cruise the sites, that meant we were a starting point--anybody else of similar views is welcome to go too. yr boy is always up for treasons, spoils and stratagems (thats a Shakespeare line, not Jane Fonda) Dalton would be a good place to start, wasn't that where the Great Race started?
There's a big Ranger Whoopdedoo over to Bragg next Spring, I'm coming down there for that one too. Might a well cash in on the notoriety. Anybody here is welcome to attend that with me as my guest.

James