The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-28-2006, 06:42 PM

Cool I have something I'd like to say...

A couple of days ago, I was surfing the net. One click lead to another, and to another and to yet another, and somehow I saw a link in regards to VN, and I clicked on that.

I, for some strange reason, have always been (oh, what's the right word...) drawn from the heart (I don't understand why) to the history of the Viet Nam war.

I found myself on the History Channel's forum for VN, and started reading through the threads. It was actually an honor, for the first time, to read what vets had to say about different memories they had with that war. While I've read books in the past, done research on the net, talked with vets in real life (they never wanted to say much...I guess because I'm an *outsider* per se), but for the first time, it was as if I was privy to a private discussion with a group of people that had a common bond (and *common bond* is putting it lightly)...

As I read through those threads, this site was mentioned a few times, and I found myself doing a search on google to find where y'all were at and have been here since last night, reading thread after thread after thread.

I'm in the process of getting my house ready to sell, and as I was painting a room, I couldn't get y'all off my mind...it weighed heavy on my heart, and I don't really know why.

I'm a 46 year old female, the men in my entire family have served in one branch or another from Generals on down to enlisted. I have 2 sons that are over 18 and while I do not want them to go into the military, if they chose to, I'd join the ranks of other mothers who live in a realm few understand.

Anyway, that's not the point of this post...the point of this post is...

I was young when y'all were over there...only between 6-12 years of age, but I have vauge memories of seeing the war being televised on the news. I vaguely remember the funeral of RFK, I vaguely remember when MLK got shot, I remember the Beatles, CSN&Y, Simon & Garfunkle, etc etc etc lol...

As I grew older and learned more about that time that was only vague memories, my sense of fair play and justice was noticably violated as I came to understand better what y'all went through...not only over there, but when you came back home.

I may not understand all the intricacies of the VN war...I certainly don't understand how it was to actually be there. I do not understand why this country did what it did to you, and just thinking about it wells up anger. I wish I had been older during that time. I wish I had been in a position to offer a voice in opposition to those that treated y'all so badly. I don't know why I even feel that way, perhaps it's because I find it so totally WRONG...still, even today.

All day long, I've been thinking about writing this post, because I just can't shake this feeling inside. One thing I do know however, is that for some reason, I'd like to extend the following...

I'm so sorry.

I'm so sorry that so many of you had to go over to such a forsaken place, and have so much stolen from you.

I'm so sorry you suffered so much, experienced what you did and had it effect you still to this day.

As a native born American, I'm so sorry and so embarassed and humiliated that there were groups of people who were so out of line, so clueless, so selfish, so caught up in unrealistic ideals, that took it out on y'all.

I wish I could help, I wish I could do SOMEthing, but perhaps knowing that I do care (as I'm sure countless others do too), might help your days to be a little lighter and brighter.

Thank you for all that you've done. Athough I wish it had never of happened...I'm grateful you are home.

May God's hand of protection continue to be over your lives.

Regards,

Shad.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2006, 07:09 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Shad, thanks for the kind words. One of the purposes of this site is to give us a place to write down our experiences. We do this for several reasons. For therapeutic reasons; to comfort another vet by letting him know that he's not the only one that has experienced some of these things; to swap war stories; to remember those of us that didn't come home; to amaze ourselves again by remembering some of the things we did as young men; and to preserve them for others to learn from. To show people that we were just ordinary guys making the best of surviving some extraordinary circumstances and their aftermaths.

Thank you for letting us know that we somehow touched you and educated you.

Welcome to the site.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:13 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Well Shad.
There will be war protesters forever. Theres nothing one person can do about that except to know that even though protesters are against what we were doing we would fight for there right to say all the bad things about us,because thats what makes the United States so great. Some day the protesters will realize that we were just doing our job and that they were protesting against the very people that were protecting there right to protest. But maybe not.
In any case, Thanks for understanding.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:48 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Shad,

I'm glad you followed your heart. Thank you. Also interesting website you have posted in your profile. I'll be spending some time there too. Think you allmay have some valuable advice for my family.

Arrow>>>>>

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 11-29-2006, 02:01 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Shad,

Thank you for the caring. There isn't anyone on this site that doesn't appreciate that.

Please don't look at us as "victims" though. We were not. Most of us went willingly as our fathers did before us. When I do therapy with war veterans, especially when I worked with my brothers from Vietnam, I told them they were allowed to be victims the first day....day two they were survivors and needed to act like a survivor and not a victim. As most people understand today, we did nothing we weren't supposed to. It was the fault of our peers at home and our government that we were treated the way we were. I think most of us still have a bad taste in our mouths over the whole thing, but coming to this site I've been able to meet and interact with so many, it has been the best healing I could have ever done.

Stick around and join in the fun!

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 11-29-2006, 02:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

Shad,

Thanks for caring. I think that today, most people understand that the VN Vet served honorably and that we were kinda given the short end of the stick on our return and at the wars end. If you really want to do something, there is a whole new generation of warriors coming home from war that need our support and understanding so that they won?t have to face some of the challenges we did.

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
Old 11-29-2006, 03:46 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Shad
I do appreciate the kind words, Just stick around and join in on the many discussions, and feel free to ask questions.
Bob K aka bOOger

God bless the ACLU
Old 11-29-2006, 05:29 AM

Thank you for the generous welcome...I guess it was just something *I* wanted/needed to say, so thank you for listening.

Yes, I know there will always be protesters, but I think the protesters forget to differentiate between the man/woman following orders and the principles they disagree with.

While I don't necessarily know where to go to offer any help or time with our soldiers returning from the ME, perhaps after I move, I can check further into that. I saw that y'all have an annual get together up in northern Georgia every year. Ironically, I'm moving from Miami, Florida up to the Blue Ridge area lol. I've already purchased a home with acreage up there (who'd have ever thought I'd leave the suburbia life for a small farm...my mother still is in shock lol), and all I hafta do is sell my home here and I'm good to go.

Arrow, that site is a site I've owned since 1999. I'm Darlene over there (my real name...shadddup is just a reminder to self to *hush*). It is a uniquely special place with special people and we'd be honored if there is anything we could do to help. We kinda like our quiet little corner on the net, and like many of you, I've been able to meet many of our members in real life.

Anyway, I'm off to finish painting. I look forward to asking questions (if y'all don't mind) and *listening* as y'all continue to share.

Regards,

Shad.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:33 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Thanks Shad. Welcome here. This site has been a very healing place for me and my family and I have met some of the best of my generation here and on the mountain. The annual campout is the last weekend in April and held in Ellijay Ga - about 13 miles from Blue Ridge ! Hope to see you there and introduce you to my grandbabies. Did I tell you I was an Opa ?
Old 11-29-2006, 07:50 AM

Thank you, Shad. Thanks to this site & others like it, I was able to shed my "victim" mentality. There's good people here...almost family. And like all families, we can fight, love, comfort, & share. Welcome..hope to see you around.