Old 10-26-2003, 07:55 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool OIF Marine honored for courage, leadership on the battlefield

OIF Marine honored for courage, leadership on the battlefield
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification Number: 20031024182616
Story by Sgt. L. F. Langston and Cpl. Ethan E. Rocke

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(October 24, 2003) -- Standing up against a hail of bullets and rocket-propelled grenades, one man charged forward against a wall of lead and into an ambush that had his unit pinned down like sitting ducks. The Iraqis probably thought he was crazy, but he was just doing what Marine sergeants do: leading Marines.

Sgt. Rolando A. Ortega, formerly of 3rd Platoon, Company I, 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, did what had to be done March 25, 2003. He sprang to his feet, attacked his enemies and, in doing so, inspired his Marines to do the same. When the fighting ended, a dozen Iraqis were dead, five were wounded and 17 were captured; Marines killed in action from Ortega's platoon - 0.

For his courageous actions that day, Ortega received the Bronze Star Medal with Combat 'V.' He was honored Oct. 17 aboard the Depot as Brig. Gen. John M. Paxton Jr., commanding general, Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego and the Western Recruiting Region, presented the medal to Ortega during the Morning Colors ceremony.

"It feels great to receive the medal and be recognized for your accomplishments, but there's also that feeling that digs at your heart, remembering the Marines we lost and the darker moments," said Ortega.

Ortega recalled the situation he and his Marines were faced with that day as he was serving as a squad leader moving in an armored column along Highway 1 in Iraq.

"Communication in the vehicle went out and the convoy was taken by surprise so I was unable to get a picture of what and where the threat was coming from. Once the ramp came down we dismounted and found ourselves in a hail of rounds from small arms and RPG fire," he said.

Seeing that his squad was not moving and knowing the situation required the squad to move forward out of the kill-zone, Ortega set the example and demonstrated aggressiveness and raw courage.

"We were in the open and vulnerable so we had to move," said Ortega.

Lance Cpl. Michael W. Meyer, one of Ortega's Marines that day, was fresh out of the school of infantry. He remembered being scared and disoriented in his first run in with the enemy.

"During our first encounters with the Iraqis, we were on a berm and Sgt. Ortega gave the order to assault through as the rounds were impacting all around us, and some of us just looked at each other with a look of 'you gotta be kidding'," said Meyer. "Once we saw Sgt. Ortega take off, that motivated the rest of us and we followed."

Upon seeing his valiant example, the Marines in the squad resumed their attack toward the berm.

"I was confident the Marines knew what they had to do, but I was concerned about the new Marines we had just received from the School of Infantry," said Ortega. "I just wanted to get through it all and make sure everyone got through safe."

"The exchange of fire might have lasted 10 to 15 minutes, but it seemed like it went on forever," he added.

Some of Ortega's fellow Marines commended him for his actions and credit him with turning the tables in the battle and giving Company I the advantage.

"Because of what he did, the Iraqis fled into the path of 1st and 2nd Platoon where we handled the situation," said Sgt. Enrique Alaniz III, Platoon Sgt., 1st Platoon, Company I. "He did it because his boys were in danger and he knew (the Iraqis) had mortar capability."

Alaniz, who considers Ortega a good friend and not just a colleague, attested to his character.

"I've known Ortega since he arrived to the Company as a PFC. What he expects of his Marines is what he gives," said Alaniz.

Ortega left the battlefield July 18 with orders to report to Recruiters School here Sept. 3.

"I was disappointed because I had to come back early. Throughout the whole evolution my mind was still on all the guys," said Ortega.

Ortega graduated Recruiters School Thursday and will begin his duties at Recruiting Sub Station Santa Barbara soon.

"Its going to be a new place and a different environment, but I'm looking forward to it," he said.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn20...B?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links