The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2005, 03:46 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Major League Baseball/steroids

Did anyone catch Mark McGuire talking to the investigating pannel?
What a girly-man. He started to cry.
And he told them he didn't want to talk about the past. What the hell Markie, Did you think they wanted to talk about your future.
Steroids are Illeagle, They get caught useing steroid they go to jail, Major League Basball can suspend them if they want, but its jail time. Now if the Major league wants to do something about steroids, Test the players if they find anyone useing, Call the police and delete there records. Course, the idiots that just paid 250 million to have someone play with a ball for them might not like there 250 million in jail, but they are idiots and to bad.
This whole thing reminds me of the catholic priest and the pope.
Let the police do there job.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2005, 04:27 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 

The problem here is,as you`ve said Ron,is that MLB has turned their head away from the fact that players have been using steroids for years.They`ve treated their primadona players with kid gloves by not enforcing MLB rules regarding drug use.It`s like,Ok-First offense,fine,second offense...a little bigger fine,third,fourth,up to five chances with no serious penalty.
It`s all about the almighty dollar.
Any athelete who holds a record should forfiet it if they used steroids-period.

Peace,Griz
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 04:43 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Griz
I agree with you....Pull their records and give em back to the players that made it without steroids...... also, No one inducted into the Hall of Fame
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 03-18-2005, 05:45 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

if you will remember some years ago there was a strike in MLBB and there was a fear that the fans would not come back. about that time steroids were everywhere and there was the breaking of Roger maris' home run record. do you think they would test for steroids in that climate ? mlbb and the people that run it should suffer.

Larry

Last edited by 82Rigger; 07-14-2008 at 01:04 AM.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:04 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

All I can say as a former ball player is this; You use, you lose. I agree with all the sentiments above. Throw their records out, no hall of fame for the players that used. Now the owners. Mortarchunker's got it on the nose. The suspension OR fine proposals are ridiculous. ZERO tolerance. Those caught are suspended for life. Wanna clean it up.....there it is! Now owners and commisioner....anti up or admit you don't give a shit as long as your making money. Oh, yeah, same same ALL sports.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 03-18-2005, 06:57 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Sanctimonious Are We!

Time out for a sermon: "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone."

We all like winners. We all like to see home runs hit. We all like to see records broken. We all go pay to watch these athletes play a childs game at a high level. We spoil our good athletes from the time they are in Jr. High until they retire from professional sports. In college they get special tutors, they don't have to have as high SAT's as regular students. They get scholarships because they have better hand and eye coordination than the average person. So we spoil them and tell they can do no wrong. We as a society are just as guilty as the athletes.
(I got my first two years of college on an Athletic Scholarship, however I was a walk on and had to score well on my SAT's to get into college.)
We as a society have created these animals. We want to see home runs, we want to see records broken, we want have winners, we don't go out and watch the average teams play or the average players play, we want to see winners.
So . . . . . in a very real sense everyone of us who has paid to watch a major league game are guilty in some measure. Everyone of us who have winked and looked the other direction when an athlete did wrong (Jr. High, High School, College, or Professional) are just as guilty. We all must take a little blame somewhere down the line.

Now having said that:
I'm for regular drug testing in all sports.
I'm for a no tolerance policy. One strike and you are out.
I'm for erasing records.
We as a society must get a handle on this situation before more kids do themselves bodily harm.

Keith
Old 03-19-2005, 06:05 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Re: Sanctimonious Are We!

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith_Hixson Time out for a sermon: "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone."

We all like winners. We all like to see home runs hit. We all like to see records broken. We all go pay to watch these athletes play a childs game at a high level. We spoil our good athletes from the time they are in Jr. High until they retire from professional sports. In college they get special tutors, they don't have to have as high SAT's as regular students. They get scholarships because they have better hand and eye coordination than the average person. So we spoil them and tell they can do no wrong. We as a society are just as guilty as the athletes.
(I got my first two years of college on an Athletic Scholarship, however I was a walk on and had to score well on my SAT's to get into college.)
We as a society have created these animals. We want to see home runs, we want to see records broken, we want have winners, we don't go out and watch the average teams play or the average players play, we want to see winners.
So . . . . . in a very real sense everyone of us who has paid to watch a major league game are guilty in some measure. Everyone of us who have winked and looked the other direction when an athlete did wrong (Jr. High, High School, College, or Professional) are just as guilty. We all must take a little blame somewhere down the line.

Now having said that:
I'm for regular drug testing in all sports.
I'm for a no tolerance policy. One strike and you are out.
I'm for erasing records.
We as a society must get a handle on this situation before more kids do themselves bodily harm.

Keith
"We as a society are just as guilty as the athletes. "
I agree with this mostly, but that does not absolve the individual of personal responsiblity.
"The first thing we do is we kill all the lawyers" Caliban, from "the Tempest"
And this is indeed a situation that lawyers create and rule. Part oif the problem is: What was actually illegal at the time? With the BALCO thing going, we know that there was constant research to stay ahead of the curve, legality wise, on steroids; new staroids being developed frequentlyto circumvent the laws.
Hate to split hairs, here, but if youre going to take back the records, youre going to have a court case over every one as to what was actually legal at the time and was the person using it? Caint be any retroactive legalling here. Expect this for sure from Barry Bonds, it will be a fight to the last stand here and I mean a multimiullion dollar legal battle, even to put an asterisk on his "record" Not that I think it shouldn't happen, though, at least the asterisk--they did it to Maris and that was only for playing more games.
This can get long and old and (as planned) no one will gain but the lawyers. The Hall of Fame, another matter that will get long and dirty also.

There's a whole societal ethic here of I'm getting mine and Fuck You! that seems a whole lot more prevalent than when I was growing up--does it seem that way to you guys?
Look at these "Apprentice" and "Survivor"--theyre all about ruthlessness and using any advantage to win.
Visualize our Founding Fathers watching them--hahahaha--sort of a "What have we wrought?" kind of expression frozen on their faces. Chug down another Sam Adams on me, boys! Then there's always the question: what would Jesus do? Haha just kidding!
But there it is, there's our society, as portrayed nightly. Even the good guys on TV are mean, you wouldn't want them for neighbors. Whatever happened to Ward Cleaver and Ozzie Nelson as societal role models?? Things were nicer in those days, all we had to worry about was an Evil Empire flinging nukes at us. Bring back cashmere sweaters!

I think it breaks down to what was legal and what was not. I don't think this is a major issue nationwide, just sonething for them to talk about Now that the Peterson Trial is over.

Stay good, all

james
Old 03-19-2005, 06:37 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Seroids

I think we are missing an important part of this.
Steroids are against the law. If a person gets caught with them they go to jail. If a owner covers it up, that is taking part in a crime, and the owner goes to jail. A side effect to the jail would be getting rid of there record and suspending them from Baceball, not the main punishment.
Cheating should not be talerated and cheating with something against the law is worse.
For some strange reason, we as a society look the other way when Priest molest children and people that play with a ball break the law. This is really dumb.

Ron
Old 03-19-2005, 09:22 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Ron - James,

I agree,

On the same track.

I hate those reality shows. Refuse to watch.

Keith