Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2005, 05:29 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default Salute!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/obit_chib...HBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-

Last of WWII Comanche Code Talkers Dies

OKLAHOMA CITY - Charles Chibitty, the last survivor of the Comanche code talkers who used their native language to transmit messages for the Allies in Europe during World War II, has died. He was 83.

Chibitty, who had been residing at a Tulsa nursing home, died Wednesday, said Cathy Flynn, administrative assistant in the Comanche Nation tribal chairman's office.
The group of Comanche Indians from the Lawton area were selected for special duty in the U.S. Army to provide the Allies with a language that the Germans could not decipher. Like the larger group of Navajo Indians who performed a similar service in the Pacific theater, the Comanches were dubbed "code talkers."

"It's strange, but growing up as a child I was forbidden to speak my native language at school," Chibitty said in 2002. "Later my country asked me to. My language helped win the war and that makes me very proud. Very proud. "

In a 1998 story for The Oklahoman, Chibitty recalled being at Normandy on D-Day, and said someone once asked him what he was afraid of most and if he feared dying.

"No. That was something we had already accepted," he said.

"But we landed in deeper water than anticipated. A lot of boys drowned. That's what I was afraid of."

"I wonder what the hell Hitler thought when he heard those strange voices," he once told a gathering.

Chibitty was born Nov. 20, 1921, near Medicine Park and attended high school at Haskell Indian School in Lawrence, Kan. He enlisted in 1941.

In 1999, Chibitty received the Knowlton Award, which recognizes individuals for outstanding intelligence work, during a ceremony at the

"We could never do it again," Chibitty told Oklahoma Today. "It's all electronic and video in war now."

Old 07-23-2005, 02:44 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Salute...

Comanche Code Talkers

"After induction into the army, seventeen Comanche men were selected for the Signal Corps because of their unique language.

The Comanche Code Talkers were an elite group of young men who were fluent in the Comanche language and used that knowledge, along with the training they were given by the United States Army, to send critical messages that confused the enemy during World War II. Trained in all phases of communication, these members of the army's Fourth Signal Division used the Comanche language to relay important messages that could not be understood or decoded by the enemy during World War II. The Comanche phrase posah-tai-vo meaning "crazy white man" was used for Adolph Hitler. Since the Comanches had a word for airplane but not for bomber, the Code Talkers came up with the comanche phrase for "pregnant airplane."

Seventeen young men were trained in communications, but only fourteen were deployed to the European theater. Serving overseas were: Morris Sunrise, Perry Noyebad, Haddon Codynah, Robert Holder, Clifford Ototivo, Forrest Kassanavoid, Roderick RedElk, Simmons Parker, Larry Saupitty, Melvin Permansu, Willie Yackeschi, Charles Chibitty, Willington Mihecoby, and Elgin RedElk."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 08:13 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

To all the Codetalkers of WW2
Old 07-25-2005, 07:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

We couldn't have done with out them. May they all rest in peace.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 07-29-2005, 05:20 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Last World War II Comanche Code Talker Laid to Rest

Last World War II Comanche Code Talker Laid to Rest
By Rudi Williams
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, July 29, 2005 ? When Charles "Charlie" J. Chibitty, the last World War II Comanche code talker, was buried July 26, a friend wrote in the eulogy, "Charlie's life has no foreshadowing or ending. As long as wind blows, his life and legacy will continue to twist and turn along courses only wild horses know. "

Charles Chibitty, the last surviving World War II Comanche code talker, told Pentagon officials that teachers at the Indian school near Lawton, Okla. , became angry with him for speaking the Comanche language in the early 1920s, then the Army wanted Comanches to use their language as a code during World War II. Photo by Rudi Williams

Chibitty died July 20 in Tulsa, Okla. He was 83. He was invited to the Pentagon three times -- in 1992, 1999 and 2002 -- in honor of his service to the nation as a World War II code talker. He, along with 16 other Comanche Indians, was part of an Army company of code talkers who befuddled the Germans during the invasion of the beaches of Normandy, France.

During his 2002 Pentagon visit, Chibitty said his unit hit Utah Beach in Normandy "the first or second day after D-Day. " His first radio message was sent to another code talker on an incoming boat. Translated into English, it said: "Five miles to the right of the designated area and five miles inland, the fighting is fierce and we need help. "

"We were trying to let them know where we were so they wouldn't lob no shells on us," he explained with a chuckle. "I was with the 22nd Infantry Regiment of the 4th Infantry Division. We talked Indian and sent messages when need be. It was quicker to use telephones and radios to send messages, because Morse code had to be decoded and the Germans could decode them. We used telephones and radios to talk Indian, then wrote it in English and gave it to the commanding officer. "

The Comanche Indians frustrated enemy code breakers by translating Army messages into their native language. The enemy never broke the code.

Chibitty enlisted in the Army in January 1941. He earned the World War II Victory Medal, European Theater of Operations Victory Medal with five bronze stars, Europe-African Middle East Campaign Medal and the Good Conduct Medal. In 1989, the French government honored the Comanche code talkers by presenting them the Chavalier of the National Order of Merit.

He was presented the Knowlton Award, created by the Military Intelligence Association, in 1995 to recognize significant contributions to military efforts. In April 2003, Chibitty attended the dedication ceremony for a monument to Choctaw and Comanche code talkers of World War I and World War II at Camp Beuregard in Pineville, La. , where he trained during World War II. When he visited the Pentagon in 1992, then-Defense Secretary Dick Cheney presented him a certificate of appreciation for his service to the country. Chibitty also received a special proclamation from the governor of Oklahoma, who honored him for his contributions to that state and the nation.

When Chibitty visited the Pentagon in November 2002, he donned his feathered Indian chief's headgear and offered a prayer in the Pentagon Chapel for those killed in the terrorist attack on the building. The aging World War II code talker then went to nearby Arlington National Cemetery and placed a wreath and offered an Indian prayer at the Tomb of the Unknowns. His 2002 visit included a meeting with Defense SecretaryDonald H. Rumsfeld. Before returning home to Tulsa, Chibitty spent some time with researchers at the U. S. Army Center for Military History for oral history sessions.

"Laying the wreath at the Tomb of the Unknowns really meant a lot to him," Chibitty's adopted daughter, Carrie V. Wilson of Fayetteville, Ariz. , said during a telephone interview.

"When he talked about his code talking days, he always said he wished that all the other code talkers could have gotten the awards, attention and recognition that he did," said Wilson, a cultural resource consultant. "But by the time they really recognized the Comanche code talkers, most of them were dead.

"He never thought about any of the awards without thinking about all the others who had gone before him," Wilson noted. Pointing out that Chibitty was a traditional Comanche speaker, Wilson said his death is a huge loss to the Comanche community. "He tried to teach Comanche to whomever showed an interest in it," she noted.

"He was a big powwow Indian, and he took me into his family more than 35 years ago," said Wilson, a Quapaw Indian, who is a former Miss Indian Oklahoma and a Quapaw tribal princess. "He adopted me, and put his daughter's clothes on me, and took me out to a big powwow in Tulsa. He told everybody that he gave me permission to wear Comanche clothes because he'd taken me into his family as his daughter. "

Wilson said she has many fond memories of Chibitty, including going to powwow dances with him and his brother. Both of them were nationally known for their Indian championship dancing. "When he and his brother and other Comanches came out onto the dance floor, they looked like royalty," she said. "They were always recognized in the Indian community as championship dancers.

"We'd laugh and tease, and he was always fun to be around," Wilson said. "But an important thing is that he was always there for anyone who needed help, whether they had problems with drinking or just needed someone to talk to. He was always available to listen to them and give advice, or be a friend.

"Every night before he went to bed, he'd sit on the edge of his bed and pray," she noted. "He was a very sincere person. He knew what war was about and how precious life is. And, he believed that education is one of the most important things. "

Chibitty's son, a promising attorney, was killed in a car accident in 1982, and his daughter died about 10 years later, Wilson said. "After that, his wife died," she noted. "So my role as a daughter became more real. Before his wife died, she told me to take care of him - I tried. "

In addition to Wilson, Chibitty is survived by two grandsons, Chebon Chibitty and Acey Chibitty, and another adopted daughter, Lacey Chibitty, who reside in Tulsa. He also leaves behind a number of nieces and nephews.

Musical tributes included the Kricket Rhoads Connywerdy, Comanche Sovo drum, Comanche hymns at the graveside. Chibitty was given full military honors, including a 21-gun salute by the Fort Sill Honor Team.

"They sang the Comanche code talkers' song, which is a beautiful song, as they were putting him into the ground," Wilson said. The Comanche Indian Veterans Association, Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 577, American Legion Post 1, Masonic Rights and Millennium Lodge 543 attended his funeral.