The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2004, 10:42 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Something I found in the current "Agent Orange Review"

On page 5 it states ... IOM : Risk of respiratory cancers posed by exposure to dioxin could last many decades...

the article goes on to state there is no upper limit on these types of cancers which include lung cancer. Since lung cancer is one of the hardest to treat, it is all the more reason to get a physical every year, or see a doctor if you have any changes in your health.

Many of us spent a lot of time eating dust in Vietnam along roads that had been sprayed many times.

I am also posting some more info that just came out in the American Legion magazine about Agent Orange.

Larry

P.S : Couldn't find the article on the Legion web site. It is on page 31 - 32 of the magazine I got in the mail. Here are some links. They are using some new data ( HERBS logs ) on the pilot logs ( 10,000+ missions ) to see which areas were sprayed while troops were there. They will eventually be able to tell your exposure by your movements with your Division etc.

quote "It is now possible to analyze the relationship between herbicide spraying, geography, population, and troop location. Up to now, the lack of such measure was the reason given by the government for not being able to do a major epidemiological study. Now that our work is published in scientific journals and has met Institute-of-Medicene standards, some barriers to research have really been lowered...." unquote

www.nature.com ( search for Agent Orange )

...to find the new Stellman report. The authors are Jeanne Mager Stellman and Steven D. Stellman and they have been doing research on this subject for over 20 years.

I will scan the article tomorrow and post it. It is in interview format.

Larry

Old 05-25-2004, 07:40 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Thumbs up Larry

Thanks for the post. About once a year I go on a tirade about getting a check up. If you were in Nam you WERE exposed Agent Orange and more. Just because you flew home 30+ years ago, we are not out of the woods. Exposure to carcinogens can cause cancer 50 years later. There is no proof that it can cause cancer more than 50 years later because all those people are dead. Dead is not a good thing.

I had not been to see a doctor in seven years before I got sick. When the doctors discovered it was Lymphoma it was already in it?s 3rd stage. 4th stage means you have six months or less to live. As Fred and Hal will tell you, if they can catch it in stage one, your chances are far better.

Besides several of you are truly at risk for butt cancer. Not saying anyone is full of $hit, but you know who you are.

Stay healthy,
Andy
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 07:49 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Make sure you go to the VA (I know that's a dirty word in some places) to get your checkup for medical problems related to Agent Orange. My brother-in-law has a variety of symptoms but keeps going to his regular doctor even though that doctor and his partner can't agree on a treatment.

They don't know about Agent Orange. They can't seem to help. :cd:

Another vet had a talk with him last week. Maybe he'll listen to him.

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote