The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2004, 02:56 AM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 
Question Tet. Am I dinkydow? (sp?)

Each shift of the security detachment was called into formation in the afternoon. We were told that there was going to be a celebration that night and the Vietnamese would be firing into the air to celebrate the new year and to not return fire without the Sergeant of the guards approval. I was on the 2200 to 0200 shift that night so I went to my bunk to get some sleep and was awakened, rudely by a grenade going off in our bunkered tent. Of course the army was wise enough to put the Security Detachments tent 12 feet inside the perimeter fence. The part of the perimeter that was right in the downtown area. I was in the second set of bunks on the top and the two guys in the first set and the guy below me were blown away. I landed on the floor with my mattress on top of me and praying alot. The SOG came to the front of the tent and ordered everyone to take their post, "we were being hit." I got to post number 2 which was a tower over the Air Vietnam pad and kicked a dead man out of the tower because he was taking up room that I needed because of the tracer rounds that were coming in my direction. That was just the beginning of my day and I remember it as February 1st / 2nd. Don't need to post the remaining 24 hours here but do I have my dates wrong? I just past another February 2nd with only one flashback and I didn't like it. Want to make sure that I'm not "dinky."
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2004, 04:57 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Little John

Dinky-dow you ain't , but mindful you are! Glad you shared your thoughts and feelings about the Tet offensive. By my calendar, it all started around our area on 31 January. One of the better ways of viewing any ghosts, vapors, thoughts or mental holdovers about any traumatic event like we experienced is to write about them, and reflect on them; for me today, it is also a time to give thanks, and see how I can be of service to someone today.
Scouts Out!!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 10:59 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default Date

Sometimes I'm sure of the date something happened and I'm sure wrong. Kennedy was murdered on the 21st of November and my Mom's birthday is the 22nd. Or is it the other way around? Having said that, I was sure we got hit very hard in the early morning hours of the last day of January, that is lasted, for us for a couple of weeks +. Of course some targets were attacked after the 31st.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 02-03-2004, 11:14 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default 02-03-68

is when we left Lang Vei for new city of HUE. 4th infantry and 101 airborne were from the cannal bridge in new Hue , east and south to form a blocking unit to keep NVA off the Marines flank, Sort of between Hue and Phu Bi.

39mike to alpha minor , over!

Ron
Old 02-03-2004, 11:38 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

John , your about as dinky dow as the rest of us. Closeist I can remember dates is early or late month and most times not sure it's the right month. Thank goodness somebody else was taking notes. Glad your here , Welcome home.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:46 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 

What John said

Peace,Griz