The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-10-2007, 06:26 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Tightwad Tuesdays up at Hoodoo

Y' know, I have to credit my friend Ron (39m...) with getting me back into skiing after a long hiatus. It was his posts on skiing that go me looking back into my past. And then Tom's posts on teton got me thinking also. I used to be a pretty good skiier, I was into it for years. I learned as an adult in my late 20s.
What happened was my son came along and there went any excess money for decades.
Well, he's grown up now, sorta, out of college and working (?) in Chile now so he's not my personal money black hole any longer. (hopefully)
One of the things on my agenda when I moved up here to Oregon couple years ago (is it that long allready?) was maybe seeing about strapping some boards on my feet and stumbling down some hills--I heard they have some excellent places here in OR.
Now, Ive mentioned some of the ancillary benefits to living in my place before--not hearing any road noises, the excellent swimming hole nearby, 40 mile view, etc, but one of the things I only now realized was how close I am to an excellent skiing place--Hoodoo. Its even in the same county as me, bout 50 miles away.
So I got some skis and boots for Christmas--my how the state of the art has changed, you can get the Last Supper painted on your skis now, or anything else. Threw them in the Aerostar and headed off for Hoodoo, up on Santiam Pass http://www.hoodoo.com/Default.htm
Every Tuesday is Tightwad Tuesday--ski tickets half price--and I only ski midweek--its no fun if you have to wait for lift lines.
I like to ski alone--hate to have to wait for others besides managing myself. My old lady doesn't ski so I didn't have to argue her out of it.
The thing I like most about skiing, besides the rush, is the world classs views and yer boy was definitely not disappointed here. this is more of the ancillary benefits--most of what you'll see here is in the county I live in. I didn't know it would be this breathtaking. (I live in the flatter end of the county)
Well, it was a day!! I started out slow--haven't skiied since '99--so I could work back into it. My goal was not to fall once all day, and with one exception that wasn't my fault, I can say Mission acomplished. The one time I fell, I was actually standing still taking a picture--the wind blew me over. I am NOT kidding.
By the end of the day I was back on black diamond but i have to say they were groomed slopes. No groomed slopes really qualify to me as expert--I'm a Californian!--but hey--I can say I skiied black diamonds again.(Ron!) I'm going to work up to the bumps slowly, theyre fun but can tear up your knees.
The hardest thing is getting back that Forward Lean again. You need to keep the weight forward, esp in turning. What this means is sometimes your looking straight down a cliff which can be nervewracking. I'm not afraid of heights but I do have a healthy respect for them. Once you get over that tho, you can push on to ever greater heights.
Skiied the day from 9:00 am to 4:00pm without a break, the time just rushed by. I was skiing for form, just taking my time and doing it right. NO hurry, nothing to run about.
A perfect day and an easy 1.5 hour ride back. This is the closest I ever lived to a ski resort. And Mt Bachelor just down the road. Winter's going to be as fun as ssummer here in OR
Old 01-10-2007, 06:28 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default The Sisters

These are The Sisters.
right after I took this picture, the wind blew me over
Old 01-10-2007, 06:29 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

This is what they call Three fingered Jack
Old 01-10-2007, 06:31 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Looking down the Santiam river
I live down in the lower hills
Old 01-10-2007, 06:34 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

It was a great day!!
Old 01-10-2007, 06:37 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

James,

Absolutely breath taking. Doubt my hip would enjoy it, but my mind enjoyed reading and looking at those gorgeous pics! Hate winter but can see why some of y'all really enjoy it. A little envious, in a good way, here. Have fun my friend! Bet the hot chocolet tasted great!

Skibu!

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:51 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking James;

Great Pics, Its pretty above the clouds. Hey, how about climbing Mt Adams with me this next summer. When you are on top of Adams you can look down on most of Oregon, even Hood.

http://www.patriotfiles.com/gallery/...user=23&stype=

My climbing partner went skiing last Sunday. I told him I was putting the Sabbath curse on him. He hit a bush when he got back to his jeep he had lost his watch and cell phone. Never did find them, now he said he's going to sue me for putting on the Sabbath curse.

I'm trying to get Fred to climb Adams with me this summer also. Anyone else want to climb a major peak.

Keith
Old 01-10-2007, 07:12 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Beautiful
Old 01-10-2007, 07:16 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Took the daughter to Red River last year, She learned how to snowboard. I took her down the Black face the second day, she got a T-shirt.
I like to ski but all my friends are old and wont follow me down the slop. I need new friends.
I love it when theres a bunch of people standing there looking over the edge of a Black slop and I go right between them and never stop.
Don't stop James. Hears a little tip for ya, Short skies control better. If you use a 62 , try a 58 . You'll be surprised.

Ron
Old 01-10-2007, 07:17 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post LT John

Want to climb Mt Adams next Summer? I don't think Sid could make it, he's 60 ya know.

Keith