The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2003, 07:16 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default All Hands On Deck,...

...Got sort of a Navy Question, and medical, and friend of the family, and Vet thing all at once,...

...The guy that taught me to fly a long time ago, friend of the family, and a veteran of the navy asked me questions I coudn't quite answer, advised him to head in, and open a claim, but don't think he will without prior answers...

...ever since I've known him, he's had tremendous scars up his legs, and I still don't know the whole incident, my father told me a long time ago that he fell in a vat of acid while serving sometime ???62-65??/, and my frend confirmed it to me a week back while asking me about compensation,...

...Here is the question,... He feels that during his injury, and he says he has his medical files, or proof that his temp rose to 107, and he now has diabeties when no one else in his family history has it, he told me he gets 15 % comp, but I was told that ratings are strictly on , and up by the 10's,...

...any cases of high temps causing diabeties??/
...In 30 years, Ive only seen him in shorts a few times, and I can see the scars go up the legs completely to at least the knee, and possibly then some,...

...any advise,...

... will the Va. cover his meds for the diabeties is pretty much what he thinks would be fair for the injury he sustained...

...I personally think he's entitled to much more, but can't go there

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2003, 07:49 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Curtis yes they should cover all his meds for diabetes if he has a honable discharge. I'm getting my meds through the VA now and I don't have any scars or injurys like that yes deffenally have him go to the VA hospital ..ps possibly see ya this sunday in Boston...chris
Old 08-25-2003, 07:55 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Cris,...

...It sounds to me as if he's wanting to get the diabeties service connected due to the injury, but never has tried, I believe his diabeties came years after service,...

...and what do you mean Boston, I thought you, and your better half would be in Springfield..., 31st, or 1st...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 08:10 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

I don't know where sprigfield is but will be staying at the ramada inn Boston for my navy reunion will meet up with Andy sunday
Old 08-25-2003, 08:40 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I have never heard of high temp causing diabetes. The first thing it affects is the brain. That is where the term heat stroke comes from. Even if it did cause diabetes it would have started at the time of the high temperature. 107 is usually fatal and certainly he would have some noticeable brain damage from it. People can get confused by decimals. It may have been 100.7 instead of 107.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:10 AM

I agree with 1CAV about diabetes and high fever. I've never heard or read anything that links the two. Of course if he served in Vietnam, he can apply for Service Connection for diabetes based on exposure to Agent Orange.

You're right regarding VA disability ratings, there is no 15%. Disability Ratings are in increments of 10%.

If your friend is interested in getting his meds for diabetes from VA, the first question would be Is he enrolled in the VA system?
If he is then he can get the meds if he is willing to pay the copayment ($7 per 30 day supply). If he isn't, then the 1st thing to do is to enroll.