Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2004, 05:00 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool Unfair, Unbalanced, and Undermining America

06-01-2004

Unfair, Unbalanced, and Undermining America

By H. N. OShannasey

Tapping into our curiosity and the car wreck syndrome that plagues human nature, the news media lures us into its skewed dimension of events in Iraq with bright colors and shiny things. By adding a heap of controversy and throwing an entertaining spin on tragedy, the media keeps us chasing the bait at the end of fishing pole.

The fact that the media is biased is relatively obvious, so I will not waste time attempting to confirm that point. However, I would like to draw attention to the fact that the media has in recent years crossed the line separating simple bias from propaganda, particularly in the war with Iraq and its aftermath.

This is not about right versus left; this is about right versus wrong. Here are the medias three ground rules for carrying this out.

Rule one: Make the public think they are being denied their rights.

The media feeds on the overindulged sense of entitlement of the American people. Yes, we have the right to know what is going on in, or involves, our country. However, the right of the public to be fed every scrap of information should end when the release of such information compromises the well being of others, on-going investigations, and the ability of individuals to do their jobs. Delineating between the right to know and our desire to be entertained by the sensationalized tragedy of others is not a fine line; it is a brick wall a mile thick. But because intimate details of strangers lives are forced down our throats every day of the week, we have come to expect it.

Is it my right to gawk at a distraught father and son embracing on their front lawn, upon hearing the news of a brutally executed family member? Is it my right to watch Iraqi people desecrate the bodies of slain American contractors? Is it my right to stand next to a Marine sniper on a rooftop, breathing down his neck, analyzing his every move? Should I really be playing judge and jury to the actions of every service member in the heat of combat while I sit on my couch glued to the television?

The media would have us believe that it is telling us what we demand to know and what we need to know. I give the American public a little more credit. Dare I use the Janet Jackson Super Bowl halftime show incident as an example? I cannot count the number of times I turned on the news to hear an anchor say Ha, ha, and we just cant seem to get away from this story so heres another little useless tidbit that we managed to dig up . Did I miss something? While I was thinking, The only reason we cant get away from it is because you keep bringing it up, was the rest of America turning on the news everyday saying, Please let there be a news station courageous and dedicated enough to pursue this worthwhile story?

While reporting last week on the status of Spc. Jeremy Sivits upcoming court-martial, CNN correspondents discussed the medias access to the proceedings. Live coverage would not be permitted, but the audio portion would be available. Why cant we hear that now? Anchorwoman Carol Costello asked. Yes, why shouldnt the media be permitted to feed the public an incomplete story? By itself, a small piece of the big picture is more dangerous than simply a biased story as a whole. The public can, for the most part, pick out the facts from a complete news report, but an incomplete one can more easily be twisted to convey whatever opinion is currently popular.

Not only can we expect injudicious reactions to the slow trickling out of a story, fact by fact, but we can also expect the court-martial proceeding, and its outcome to be compromised. I know the furthest thing from our minds is fairness when dealing with the few soldiers who mistreated prisoners and destroyed the reputation of all American service members. Nevertheless, we cannot deny the rights of an American soldier, simply to appease the media and international community.

Rule two: Bad news sells. The heroic actions of many are not as important as to the stupidity of few.

If I asked you how many Americans have died in Iraq, you could probably rattle off a number according to the medias continual updates. What if I asked you how many Americans have received a Purple Heart and decided to stay in Iraq to fight alongside their brothers and finish the mission? How many soldiers or Marines saved somebodys life in combat today? How many charged a machine gun position to protect the men in their charge? I wish I knew.

Furthermore, the media believes that no one wants to hear stories from Iraq about the installation of water purification systems, or providing communities with electricity, or taking measure to improve the schools. After all, that is just not an exciting premise for a TV movie.

It is unfortunate that the media never brings to light the character, discipline, commitment, and selflessness of American service members. The existence of true heroes and stories of personal sacrifice might actually restore the American publics faith and pride in the military. Then the media would have to work even harder to paint the United States as a ruthless imperialist government.

Rule three: News is not worth reporting unless accompanied by lurid visual aids.

The abuse scandal at the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq illustrates this point beautifully. If Donald Rumsfeld is guilty of not informing the world immediately of the situation, then so too is the media. CNN Senior International Editor David Clinch in his morning dialogue with Costello candidly stated on May 11, We were aware of this story and the reports of this story for months. Let me reemphasize, the media knew about the abuse. Why then did they sit on the information? Perhaps the story itself was not interesting enough. Shocking images grab our attention, and peak our curiosity. We want to see more.

This attests to the fact that the media no longer just reports the events themselves. It reports the climate and opinion surrounding the events as well.

Its the images that really create the perception of something horrific, Clinch stated. I could not agree more. A fact is a fact; how one presents a fact determines how it will be received.

New pictures of the abuse surface on, what seems like, a daily basis. The soldiers in the pictures are among those already facing charges. The actions taken by the soldiers are no worse than what we have already seen. So, what good does it do to continually show more? It provides the illusion that this is a continuing problem, and in some minds new images might translate to new instances of abuse. If the media were to show one of the thousands of pictures each day until they are all out in the open, the world continually damning us every time they see one, it would do (and has done) irreparable damage to our nations proud military.

Propaganda redefined

Whether the media is reporting on Operation Iraqi Freedom, or the American occupation of Iraq, the facts remain the same, as do the successes and defeats. The media shrewdly distorts the facts, simultaneously manipulating the collective consciousness of the nation. Exaggerated caricatures and blatant agenda pushing are tools of the past.

The media of today relies on suggestive content allowing one to believe he or she has reached the intended conclusion on ones own. Clandestine content, including words and images with emotional triggers are powerful tools, and are more likely to have their desired effect when the existence of such propaganda is unbeknownst to the recipient.

The news turned out to be the perfect prototype for Reality TV. It is more staged and controlled than fictional shows.

Just as we are advised to get more than one opinion from a doctor regarding our physical health, all of us will be well-served to take news media reports with a large grain of salt and find more than one source for the information about the world around us. The alternative is to grab some popcorn, flip on the television, and let the media continue to sell us its only product: The disheartenment of America.

Contributing Editor H. N. OShannasey is the pen name of an active-duty Marine Corps 1st lieutenant. She can be reached at h_n_oshannasey@sgtgrit.com. Send Feedback responses to dwfeedback@yahoo.com.

http://www.sftt.org/cgi-bin/csNews/...7.0611172422975

Ellie
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links