The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2004, 03:41 PM

Default Has anyone heard

I was watching some of the Court TV yesterday, and the subtitles, that Alaska is going to be first State to approve/legalize the MJ as legal vice the medical purposes.

Any light on what you heard.

Maybe they found a way to Tax it.

enough............
Old 11-02-2004, 06:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Reeb and all,

Found this in Google news:

November 2, 2004

"Voters in Alaska could make history today by declaring their state the first where all adults have the legal right to possess and privately use marijuana. Measure 2 would set up a system of taxing and regulating marijuana while removing all criminal penalties for adult use.

Activists backing Measure 2 successfully sued Lt. Gov. Loren Leman for abusing the powers of his office when an aide wrote the ballot guide description of the case against Measure 2. The Lieutenant Governor in Alaska has the nonpartisan responsibility of overseeing the state's election process, including ballot initiatives. A judge ruled Leman had erred, but that there was no way to correct the damage."

I'm wondering how this is going to fly with the Fed.

Steve / 82Rigger
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 08:53 AM

Distinctions
Special Projects POM Staff Contributor 

On November 2, 2004, Alaska voters defeated Measure 2 -- a grassroots initiative that would have taken marijuana off of the criminal market. With 51 percent of precincts reporting, the tally has 43 percent in favor of Measure 2 and 57 percent opposed.

Defeat is disappointing, but it is important to note that tens of thousands of Alaskans went to the polls and voted for sane, responsible marijuana regulation. If the percentages hold, the 43% garnered by Measure 2 would be an all-time national record for support for an initiative to tax and regulate marijuana.

And while Measure 2 was not successful, the press the campaign generated has sparked a statewide and nationwide discussion of marijuana policy. The debate will continue, and our grassroots organization and mobilization provides a rock-solid foundation for the future of marijuana policy reform in Alaska.

Measure 2 proposed a sweeping and progressive change in marijuana policy.

If it had passed, Measure 2 would have: (1) removed the threat of arrest and jail for adults aged 21 and older who safely and responsibly use marijuana, (2) prompted the legislature to create a reasonable system of regulation for the manufacture, taxation, and sale of marijuana and (3) maintained penalties for distributing marijuana to minors and driving while under the influence of marijuana.

MPP would like to take this opportunity to thank Alaskans for Rights and Revenues and all of the volunteers whose hard work provided us with this historic opportunity, including Dr. Tim Hintenberger, Ken Jacobus, Jim Welch, Diane Benson, Peter Gordon, Dr. Kelly Drew, Paul Grant, Chip Thoma, Georgia Mario, John Farleigh, Wendy Isbell, Sherri Brown, and Mike Mueller.

Finally, MPP would like to thank all of our supporters who went to the polls and voted for Measure 2.

Measure 2 Number of votes Percentage of total vote
Yes
76,838 votes
43%

No
102,068 votes
57%
Old 11-03-2004, 09:17 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Holland legalized MJ but now have a major hitch in the get along. The Dutch Government bought tons and tons of the stuff but after the cost of program admin, the cost of legal MJ was over twice the cost of the illegal stuff. Guess where the Dutch buyers are going? And guess who is stuck with a whole bunch of unmarketable grass?
Now there is a real conundrum because the cost of enforcement that was supposed to go away, didn?t and now that is added to the cost of program admin that was grossly underestimated. And the beat goes on and it?s good thing that countries like Holland sign up to be lab experiments. At least there are some realities to measure and not a bunch of by guess and by gosh stuff to piddle around with and a bunch of shooting in the dark.

Scamp
Old 11-03-2004, 12:05 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

that Holland story is a Hoot !!! Thanks.

larry
Old 11-03-2004, 12:21 PM

Its not like I would take off and move to Alaska, but I do believe that MJ is used correctly is the cure for many of things that the normal medicine can take care of.

I am not a regular user of it, but I dont mind taking a toke or two every once in awhile, ( as I am sure that some of you also do )

enough..............
Old 11-03-2004, 12:27 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Cool

What Reeb said ............ with a little more frequency
Old 11-04-2004, 04:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to QM3steve
Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs up

Canada has legalized MJ. It is also on the NYSE, as the stock symbol AMJL. The website is www.amigula.com
Old 11-04-2004, 08:34 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Cool Question

Two of the districts in Mass. had a question on the ballot asking to direct our Rep's to support the legalization of grass. Both questions passed. However it was only two districts.

Stay healthy man,
Andy
Old 11-04-2004, 08:36 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Well Larry......

Holland has proven once again that Government cannot compete with private enterprise when it comes to quality and cost considerations. And for sure, Holland is way into big, big Government, goodness. It?s the only place I know of where a consultant has to be hired just to figure out which micro branch of a sub branch of a larger branch of a sub division of an agency to talk to just to get the accurate time of day. Very complicated place to do business and not only is patients a virtue, it?s mandatory.
Either that or just go to Amsterdam and kick back with all the mega-expensive frolicking happening. But they have a great sense of humor about it all. There, a North Sea bird with a three-piece suit is called a ?branch manager? and for the most part they seem to navigate through the complication of it all, somehow.

Scamp