The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-21-2003, 07:56 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Lightbulb Superstition

What were your superstitious while in the service?
I was given a St. Christopher?s medal just before I left home. As some of you know I sort of got wounded a few times. Anyway, each time I got hit, it could/should have been much worst. Each time St. Chris was gone and couldn?t be found anywhere. Almost like he took the hit for me and then disappeared. Each time hurt the first think I did was sent a note home begging for another St. Chris, ASAP.
Also, in mech infantry we all had a .50 ammo box that was for our personal stuff. Mine always had to contain 3 packs of cigarettes. Could be more but never less. Why three, no idea at all.
Our entire Bat. had a thing were you could never name a vehicle ?II?. For example if you had an APC named ?The Green Monster? and you hit a land mind, you couldn?t name the new one ?The Green Monster II?. (Each vehicle had a name on it painted in dark blue near the driver's hatch.) The idea was, all the luck in the old name had run out.
So how about you guys? What quirks got you through? Did anyone eat Ham & Mothers to ?appease the gods? after a bad firefight? How about patting a centerfold as they did in WWII?

Stay healthy,
Andy
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2003, 08:03 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Andy I too wore a St. Christopher medal with a navy emblem on the back I gave it to my wife when I proposed, because I didn't have enough money for a ring and it was the most presious thing I owned at the time
Old 01-22-2003, 05:38 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

As you already know Andy , Saint Joan watched over me that year, Patron saint of soldiers , I still have her around my neck , have never taken her off since those days. Another was if you could find a dead NVA after a fire fight and take a round out of his AK and wear it around your neck you would never be killed cause you had the round with your name on it around your neck. Being wounded in a non fatal spot was conisdered lucky. Dreams and " I got a bad/ good feeling about today " were well listened to. We are all lucky or we wouldn't be here posting. Welcome home
Old 01-22-2003, 08:02 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Andy

I never was one for Superstition, I always thought that a rabbits foot should be for bad luck,,, (ask the rabbit).
I put alot of those catholic medals (I think St. Christifer?) in personal affects to be sent to parents. I think you make your own luck and then its not luck, its good planning.
Ron
Old 01-22-2003, 08:09 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking Not really superstitous, too much.

I always polished my belt buckle, polished my boots, and wore starched fatiques. It just seemed I avoided a lot of hassle when I did those things every morning. So that became my superstition.

Keith
Old 01-22-2003, 09:13 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default MoJo's

Had a couple. I still have my St. Michael's medal on my key chain. Asked a Catholic Chaplin last year if it needs re-blessed. Not being a "mick" I didn't know if you have to get boosters. He said, "If that medal went though Vietnam, there isn't anything I can do to make it better."

I was also told to keep my first c-rat spoon. I did, I'm alive, so it also musta worked. Had it up to a few years ago when it disappeared in one of my many moves.

Also still have my first P-38 on my key chain. I guess I consider all three good MoJo's. If I go to the Gulf with the hospital, I'm takin' St. Mike and the P-38. (Want to take a .45 but don't think they will let me.

A Son of St. Michael

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 01-22-2003, 08:03 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up ST. MICHAEL

and St. Patrick went to war with me. My grandfather gave me the St. Patrick's medal for my Confirmation. My parish priest gave me St. Michael while I was home on leave from Jump School before going to Nam. Father Hallinan was a pretty cool guy. He had been a chaplain's assistant in the 82nd in the '50s. Just before leaving the 101st to DEROS, I gave St. Mike to a cherry trooper who "just knew" that he wasn't going to make it. I hope it got him home like it did me. I'm wearing St. Patrick as I type this.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Never had any quirks while deployed but it seems I am full of them since my return to the "World". Dog tags on keyring, P-38 on keyring, never leave to house without a knife in my pocket.

Seems I never worried about death or the here after while deployed, but can't get it off my mind since i returned. Welcome to the world of PTSD.

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 01-22-2003, 09:48 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Catman

Catman,
As a country boy I have always carried a knife in my pocket. Now I go to the airport and I can't carry a knife aboard the plane. Makes me feel naked. Not having my trusty "old timer" in the pocket just doesn't feel right.

Keith
Old 01-23-2003, 12:44 AM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 
Default JuJu

Had St Christopher with me till right before DEROS,when it got lost..I`m under the Good Saint`s guidance once again.Also had a tiger tooth that was supposed to bring good fortune.We named our equiptment like Andy`s APCs.Once a Cat or loader or whatever went wheels up it`s replacement could not be designated "11"...Bad berries.

Peace,Griz