The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-30-2003, 04:42 PM

Post letters

Mail call was the high-light of every day at Basic Training. While at home I picked up all my letters sent to me while at Ft Benning. Here are some exerpts - advice that was sent to me and I now share with all of you... which seems fitting because a large part of what follows is authored by members of this site.

The bulk of mail was either about what was going on in people's lives --- and from the vets: a lot of stories about when they were in basic. Those were the best letters - but not my stories to tell.

If you?re going to make a career out of your service you may find yourself caught between many duties and or possible opportunities. Take your time and go with your gut not with what others tell you ? after all you have to like your job in order to be proficient at it.

Tell your fellow troopers that there is only a small fraction of non-supporters out there ? and that most of them are wannabees. Those of us (not counting your family members) will always ?support? you ? our troops. We don?t care what branch of service you?re in ? you will always be our ?brothers and sisters? ? for the rest of our lives.

?So at night when you say your prayers or recap your day?s events remember your fallen comrades and remind them that their sacrifices were not in vain.

Try not to brainstorm to many decisions but draw from your gut and your training. If it feels bad it most likely is.

Anyway, you keep out of trouble and say ?yes sergeant.? Don?t fight the system but get into the flow of things and the military life can be lots of fun plus a satisfaction from serving your country.

Get back to your spit-shining those boots!

We need to hassle you about your hand writing skills, you are not a doctor or a lawyer yet.

My congrats and condolences being named a squad leader.

When can I ship the case of Snikers bars?

Brad ? I know you?ll be able to handle anything that comes along. After all: you?ve got some Polish blood in you.

Jenny moved into a house with three other girls. They want to meet her cousin.

I?ve been talking to a girl from Dallas? but talking about girls: are you the platoon slut or what? Couldn?t resist! I would have been proud to serve under your command. Remember that.

How you like living somewhere other than good ol? Nebraska? You?ll be back.

?I know you know better,? and wishing all of you guys the best, and don?t worry, what you?re learning now is the most important lessons you?ll learn in life?.

Things will be okay, best of luck, keep movin?!

I know all of you must be wired from the current war going on, and know that it?s not your war yet, you?re on your way to being soldiers, and rightfully so, but a lot of being in the armed forces is taught on direct experiences, and training with repeat training, and testing, etc, now drop and give me 50!

Maybe once down your journey, you will somehow find one aspect in which to reflect upon that you can draw strength, or an example to learn from that you, and your brothers in arms will benefit from?

Your time passes day by day, but your memories will last forever.

Pain is only temporary, pride lasts forever.

Don?t go getting yourself killed or wounded or captured. Don?t shoot yourself in the foot either.

You have the character to be a great leader, but it?s up to you to have the desire to be one.

What a mix of people you get in basic ? cooks and killers all together. Just do your best and you will be fine.

If you get a break between basic and OCS you are welcome at my house anytime. You might even talk me into going to a titty bar to grab a beer!

-------from friends back home... complete with their sense of humor------

You cannot train properly as a soldier unless you are addicted to Tabasco and Coffee.

So you are in the Army now, yippee.

Keep your head up and the $#/+ our of your pants.

We?ve lost lots of cats this year. Not sure what has happened to them? can?t even blame you this time since you are gone!

I gave up junk-food for lent. What about you?

If you start talking like a Georgian? we won?t be friends anymore.

Don?t come home a monster.

Was going to send you soap-on-a-rope? but figured you wouldn?t want it. I?m sure you lead the way in dropping the soap and biting the pillow so no one hears you scream.

---------------------------

Brad ? We are thinking of you! Love Abbey, Smokey, Tatonka Jr., Striped Cat, Orange Cat, Black Cat, Danzig and Sergeant Paco [that's an amazing coincidence... I named that cat LONG before visiting this web-site]. (signatures in the form of footprints)

THERE REALLY IS LIFE OUTSIDE OF BASIC!

I only hope that the present War with Iraq is over very quickly. If it is not, I fear the majority of the American people will again turn against the war, and the military that is fighting it. I don?t want to see you new Veterans have to go through what us Vietnam Veterans were forced to endure.

I?m not upset that the scapular was lost off of your dog tags. For some reason God thought you didn?t need it but whoever finds it may need that guidance from him. It tells me that God is already looking out for you which gives me more piece of mind than you having it. [scapular was given to my aunt when she went to Desert Storm by her mother? she then passed it to me.]

Never Volunteer!

Remember to never give up and to have a good day.

Glad you are having fun and consider the Army a health-club with new and interesting friends (drill sergeants). Such positive attitude will get you through moonscape countries in the middle east. Go find your aunt a Colonel.

Life is vivid: shining moments hewn by struggle and action, deepened by reflection and perseverance. Certainly all experience is momentary in nature, and perhaps this flowing perspective is suited well to dealing with the experimental nature of life itself. Hope you?ve collected some good experience and the life is abundant in meaning and wonder.

---------Some excerpts from letters/drawings from my mom?s second grade class to my platoon at basic:

Some kittens are small.

When I went fishing my friend got a dead fish.

Do you have a Playstation? What games do you have?

Thank you for being in the Army. I?m very glad you goned the Army. Today in Eagle it is rianing. It mit be nis where you are today. But it is not nis heer.

Have you ever played Playstation?

Once I put my fake hair on my cats head he looked like a lion I don?t think I shuld were it anymore he has lise.

Do you go in any wars?

Thank you for being in the US. What do you do to war? Do you like to play Playstation Tow? It is raining today. My dog is a shit zoo.

Thank you for showing us your dogs. Do you have a tent?

I have a Nintendo. Do you have anything?

I caught a big fish and I like Nintendo

What is it like in the Army? Thank you for being in the Special Forces. I scored a TD.

I named my number 2 pencil Mrs. Pietzyk.

My cat has a big head

How are you in army school I am good at school

I hope you come home sane (I swear that?s how this kid spelled ?soon?!)

Thank you for being in the Army. Eat Lifesavers.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2003, 04:55 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

That was certainly refreshing.

Thanks for putting yourself between me and the bad guys.

Chilidog
Old 11-30-2003, 07:43 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to grasshopper

Brad... OOOOOOOOOOOOO those are keepers for sure!
I bet ya ate alllllllllllll the Lifesavers and Snicker bars already.. no wonder you had to do so many push-ups!

Susan

~Vote PATRIOT FILES in the \"Top 100\"~
Old 11-30-2003, 07:50 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs up

BRAD -

Keep up the good work! We are all extremely proud of you all!!

VERITAS
Old 12-01-2003, 09:20 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

"I hope you come home sane (I swear that?s how this kid spelled ?soon?!)"

That is just too cute. Hey ya never know maybe he did mean sane. But if that happens you will feel a little out of place with the rest of us.

Thank you Brad. Stay strong and

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."