Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2004, 09:23 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default First I was an Assassin

" First I was a hippie, then I was a stock broker,
Now I am a hippie again"
The Bobs

Well, its just another strange but true fact that before I was an Airborne Ranger, sorta, I was an Assassin.
I had TOTALLY forgotten this, even through this lately Tiger Force Massacre thing, no doubt out of sheer denial and desire tio shrink modestly into the background on all things military. What happened was that when I met my good friend Dan in Memphis, he gave me a copy of a video that someone in our platoon (2d Plt/A Co/1st 327/1st Bde/101st) had made of his pictures of a whole year--I think--in that platoon and --I think--some other people's pictures too. There's about170 pictures in it, the video is quite well done, about 10 seconds per picture which is great for taking digital p[ictures right off the screen
Re: Assassins. I had absolutely forgotten that our batta;lion' nsame FOR OURSELVES was The Assasssins!!! You didn't have to dream up a lot of Wannabe sounding sht, they did it FOR you!!!
Thanks, 101st, all over again, for pulling the rug completely out from under the rug of our deniabilty!!! Slaughter civilians ?? Who?? US??!! THE FCKING ASSASSINS??? Gosh all fishhooks, we were there ONLY to do the Vietnamese good!! When you need good, healthy life and death decisions made for the Vietnamese you can ALWAYS count on the Assassins!!!
I'm rolling on the ground Peeing in my pants almost literally, certainly kicking back in the ol Swivel Rocker and laughing uproariously
(rolls on floor laughing!!!!!)
We ALWAYS called ourselves the Abu's, it was a nickname they got in WW!! when they were still Glidermen. I'm STILL proud of that link, I still have my cuntcap with glider patch
I knew Bob Slavik,the guy who took these pictures and put this video together real well. He and I and I think one other person lugged a badly wounded about half a mile up and down a muddy slope, him and the other guy doing most of the lugging while the humble undersigned provided security with a Colt's automatic rifle( I was also carrying a nonfunctional radio) and I think I can say without claiming too much in the way of heroism that I fired that same Colt's that time more than once and more than twice. Slavik deserved a medal for lugging that guy somtiimes under fire but that kind of stuff does not count official wise unless someone important sees you doing it, which I was not.
In this picture: http://www.patriotfiles.com/photopos...papass=&sort=1 Bob is kneeling in front of Dan to the left

What a wonderful gift this is to me I know about 1/4 of the guys in these pictures.

Here's Bob Slavik, as sound a trooper as ever strapped on a T!0 and jumped into eternity, another Assassin
Abu Bob!! I'm proud to have served with you!!

James Worth
Old 05-16-2004, 09:27 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Pig humper

Dan I'm real sure this cockeyed character in the middle is you
Old 05-16-2004, 09:37 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default O Larue

This was one of my best pals, Oscar Larue Caraway, everybody used to call him O Larue. He came into the 327 shortly after me, then went into the lrrps shortly after me and wound up in my lrrp platoon. What a guy, he was semi legendary, wound up a team leader
it was cool because he joined the lrrps a little after me and he told everybody the story of me firing up thet pore old VC in the back in Chu Lai so after that I was a "made" man, sort of. Ive gotten a lot oif mileage out of that poor slope (oops)
I loved the guy, he was one of the genuine wackos the lrrps were full of. I heard he became some kind of religious dude but that may just be talk
God bless, O LArue, wherever you are, I hope its good
Old 05-16-2004, 09:57 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Bob Again

This is how I remember the 101st being
Those were some days!!
Old 05-17-2004, 10:38 AM

Exlrrp-- This could be him-only one that showed up in the entire USA

Name Address Phone

Oscar L Caraway
11006 Wine Hill Rd
Steeleville, IL
(618) 826-4688
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tn_113_1389.jpg (71.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 05-18-2004, 06:45 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by lcpd24 Exlrrp-- This could be him-only one that showed up in the entire USA

Name Address Phone

Oscar L Caraway
11006 Wine Hill Rd
Steeleville, IL
(618) 826-4688

Dennis
I called the number and it had been disconnected. I called the information at area code 618 and they said they didn't have him in that areacode.
Is this out of one of those Finders Software? Lots of them are outdated
Thanks anyway, though, I appreciate the effort
James
Old 05-18-2004, 06:51 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default !01st entertainment

This was the one entertainment I saw in the almost 6 months I was in the 327
They had a troupe of Vietnamese sorta gogo dancers. The 1st sgt told us the louder we hollered the more of their clothes they'd take off so we did but they didn't so people started booing
It was too bad because they were actually some real hotties for Asians but what everybody wanted to see was American Women, naked.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:54 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default More 101st entertainment

Just because I only saw the babes once didn't mean they didn't stand us up in lines now and then
I saw 4 or 5 of these

Happy just to be alive
Old 05-18-2004, 07:32 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default More 101st entertainment

We'd have to jump down from this height and greater with full field gear. I'd take my pack off and hold it in my arms and jump
Old 05-18-2004, 07:36 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default My favorite part

I loved riding in helicopters, feet dangling off the side.
What a rush