The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-06-2003, 07:52 AM

Default Dogface G.I.s

Here's to all the guy's that were in the brown boot army. Who were ran through basic training by real soldiers fresh home from the front lines and could tell you and show you how to survive on the front lines. The men you could depend on while they were on the perimeter. The men who would not let anything compromise their pride in being an American.
The dog-face G.I.s didn't give a damn about the the news media or what they thought, they were mostly and firstly Americans with an undying pride in their country and themselves and second guessing was not even a consideration.
They were the guy's who came home and went back to work and raised family's and went on with their life the best they could and wouldn't try to explain war to anyone that had not been in one.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2003, 08:05 AM

Default Brown shoe Army

I joined just at the end of the brown shoe era. We were issued O.D's and brown boots/shoes which we later had to dye black. That's how I recognized the "Toilet Seat" (old style Presidential Unit Citation) that you show as an avitar. I believe it was worn on the right sleeve above the combat service bars. Correct me if my memory is wrong.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:12 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

I'll second that emotion. Sounds like my Dad, born in Germany , drafted as an enemy alien in 1940 , released and made a citizen in 1945. He was the proudest American I have ever known. No speaking or learning German in our house . We were Americans. God bless them one and all.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:22 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default When I went into the Army

We were past brown boot but still had long Sleeve Khakis. Also still had several WWII Vets. One of our intelligence officers was a CW-4 O'connor, Nicest gray haired gentleman you would want to meet. Jumped into Normandy and at Market Garden. At his retirement ceremony he wore CIB and master blaster wings with 2 stars on blouse pocket because there was no room due to ribbons. Had a E7 that jumped with Allied Airborne Polish troops. In Vietnam 2nd Brigade C.O. was COL Joseph Ulatoski, Earned a BF commission. Was promoted to Brigadier and docked a year DOR because they found he lied about his age when he entered the Army at 15 .
Old 02-07-2003, 06:16 AM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Pho...When I hear stories like that, it takes me back to my youth and brings the romance back to the Army if only for a few seconds before the memories of distant lands return.

Thanks,
Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 07-05-2023, 05:54 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Interesting Read!