The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2009, 07:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default 36 Year-Old Retirement Cake

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Serving a 36-year-old government-issue cake at an Army retirement ceremony sounds like a classic bureaucratic mistake, but there was no mistake about it.

Retiring Army Col. Henry Moak served it up himself -- at his own ceremony.

Moak had saved the cake since 1973, when he got it while serving in Vietnam, and had long-standing plans to open it upon his retirement.

Pound cake served in a can was standard fare in military C rations back then. Moak said it was his favorite, and he could not get enough of it.

"I would eat it any chance I could get, but not all of the meals came with pound cake," he said before opening it.

In front of friends and family who attended his retirement ceremony Friday at the Pentagon, Moak eagerly opened the can.

Answering the question of whether the anticipation was the same now as back then, Moak said, "Yes, even more!"

"I won't eat it if it's black and moldy," he told onlookers.

"You can hear the pop of the air going in," he said referring to the vacuum seal on the can.

To most people's surprise, the opened can revealed a still-edible yellow cake. The ceremonial sword used to cut Moak's real retirement cake was also used to dig into the can and cut out the cake.

Moak took a bite and put up his thumb, "It's good, it's still kind of moist," he declared.

Steve / 82Rigger
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2009, 10:19 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Would pour the juice from a can of pears over it and it was great ! Cool idea though.Glad he and his can made it Home
Old 07-26-2009, 09:43 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Talking Pound Cake Eaten in Nam:

Like DMZ LT, I used the juice from C Ration Pears, Fruit Coctail or Peaches to poar over my Pound Cake. A really tasty end to a meal of C-Rations when we could not get to the Chow Hall while working the Flight Line. On heavy fly days, there were never enough guys to go around to relieve everyone for chow so the Supervisors would come out to the Flight Line with C-Rations. I used to like the Franks and Beans the best as they tasted good even cold. Ham and Lima Beans were always the worst. Even heated they tasted terrible and no one wanted that box!!

I still have my GI Can Opener on my Key Ring, even after all these years. I treasure it with much pride!

To all of my Vietnam Veteran Brothers and Sisters I again wish all of you a MOST SINCERE and HEART FELT:

WELCOME HOME

VIETNAM 1968
Old 07-26-2009, 09:54 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Cool !!!